Suggestion: Server space for Homebrew

Pedro UK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hiya.

I have been messing around with homebrew for years and have really enjoyed watching all the changes and advances that have come. One of the most interesting and exciting developments of late, for me at least, is the ability to have wifi in games in apps on the DS. However, I understand that for a lot of HB developers constant and long-term server access and space may be an issue.

My suggestion is this: GBAtemp should support wifi homebrew by donating server space to homebrew games and apps. This would be good for a number of reasons:

Having one single home for all high score tables etc would encourage people to play homebrew wifi titles and thus encourage developers to integrate wifi tables and stats into their games.

A long-term and stable home for all the potential games out there. Quake DS or DooM tourneys anyone?

Maybe this would encourage the guys at WFC Status to incorporate more HB like OMalone has been.

At the moment there is a lot of great stuff happening in the homebrew scene but it is a little disparate. It would be nice to have an online 'Mecca' of sorts - like Nintendos wifi page but done properly! GBAtemp has a huge population wouldn't it be great if we could build a huge, friendly and unified community in the HB scene?

I know that I have only a few posts under this profiles belt and that I may come across as some overzealous newb but this is not the case. I have created a new profile as I have a new email and thought I'd start afresh. I originally signed up a few years ago and have posted more than a few times...
smile.gif

If money is an issue maybe we could have a HB donate button or sell t-shirts or other incentives...

What do you lot think? Wouldn't it be nice to actually find someone to play online DooM with?!
wink.gif

unr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like a good idea, GBATemp should really consider this.

Anyways, I myself run a server and still have plenty of bandwidth, so if any of you devs need hosting, contact me and we might think of something
tongue.gif

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
We are sort of already doing this, we hosted smealum's online FPS servers for quite a while (until a few days ago when we started v3)
but the thing is I did it because I trust smealum, he's a friend of mine
I don't know if I could make it possible for other developpers...

Pedro UK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So you think that giving space might lead to nefarious attacks? Is there no way you could prevent this by 'locking out' the HB part of the server or something? There seems to be a few long-standing developers that would seem to me to be genuine (GPF, Simon Hall et al) and therefore maybe a bit more trustworthy...

Or is it just too damn risky?

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
yes it's possible, it's called "open basedir restriction".
anyway making this public isn't part of our plans on GBAtemp yet
smile.gif

we're running multiple servers and we're currently in the process of moving things (the wiki will be moved to a different server soon)...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1