Suggestion regarding VPNs and proxies

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by The Minecrafter, Jun 11, 2013.

1. The Minecrafter
    OP

The Minecrafter GBAtemp Regular

Dec 13, 2011
    United States
    I know that GBAtemp has issues with spam and people trying to evade bans by using a VPN and/or a proxy to access this site, and that the firewall blocks most of those IP addresses. However, some people like me use either of these for security when browsing the internet.

Here is my suggestion: Upon accessing GBAtemp.net by a proxy or VPN, give the user a popup message that they are using a blocked IP address, and can only browse the site in read only mode. I would find it useful to be able to browse the site in a read only mode and unable to make posts if one is using a proxy or VPN, instead of preventing them from viewing the site at all.
    Maybe upon a user logging in, if they have zero warn status, allow them to post, but revoke that if they end up breaking the rules.

Also, on a side note, could someone please make GBAtemp support https?

These are just some ideas that I came up with. Does anyone agree/disagree with them?

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Got something to hide :creep:

On a serious note tho.
    I don't see a use in proxifying your connection for GBATemp other then schools where it's blocked...

Could just be me.

nukeboy95 likes this.
  3. Costello

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    HTTPS, can & will do.
    But you got the wrong idea as to why proxies/vpns/tor are forbidden.

Saturosias and DinohScene like this.
  4. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Now you've got me curious. Only reason I used them in the past was to avoid IP bans on certain forums.

5. The Minecrafter
    OP

The Minecrafter GBAtemp Regular

Dec 13, 2011
    United States
    Still, is it possible to make a read only version of the site when people connect from certain IP addresses, or is that not doable?

http://imgur.com/ic1Muqe

Ammako likes this.
  6. BORTZ

BORTZ You get a hat, and YOU get a hat!

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Ive run into a few schools and stuff that use system wide school proxy. But Im out of school. So thats not a real problem anymore.

7. techboy

techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    There's at least 3 places I go that I can't visit this site because of the firewall...it's one reason I'm not active nearly as much as I used to be...because I can't get here. My house is the only place I can access the site now.

Also, the firewall does seem to be blocking non-proxy sites for an unknown reason as well. A website I run that lets people make signature images out of data from RSS feeds stopped working for GBATemp a while back. I get the firewall message as the response when it tries to get data...

While I understand that ban evaders, spam, botnet attacks, and getting hacked sucks (I know all too well, have had it happen to my sites before), there has to be a better way to stop such stuff without mass blocks...