Suggestion of new way to softhack the ds or maybe even 3ds

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Jonhyjp, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Jonhyjp
    OP

Jonhyjp Member

Newcomer
    Jan 28, 2016
    Brazil
    okay this was a confusing thread to know where to put it because it references wii 3ds and ds homebrew, but i used ds homebrew discussion because its mainly that anyway:

ive heard about a metod of ds hacking called wifime where you use an special type of connection (WMB i think) to send a hacked download play to the ds, the only problem is having a device with this connection, but then i tought

a hacked wii

the wii is easy to hack everybody knows that, so i wonder if any homebrewers out there can make a homebrew app that uses this special connection(i saw it in the nintendo channel or something where u could download demo titles to your ds) so you can softmod your ds or play free games, and since the 3ds can also read ds download play well maybe this is a big opportunity, think about it.:mthr:

2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Sure, that might be possible, but wifime was patched in an early version of the DS firmware, so only old units are vulnerable, and you still needed a GBA flashcart to do anything useful with wifime. The 3DS doesn't have a GBA slot so it wouldn't be of any use there, and it probably wouldn't work on the 3DS even if it did.

3. Jonhyjp
    OP

Jonhyjp Member

Newcomer
    Jan 28, 2016
    Brazil
    oh, what a shame :sad:

but hey, maybe a gecko code to choose any demo from the nintendo channel, if they even still exist in the dead servers...

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    The homebrew is signed with a RSA key that is unknown. The only bypasses were for earlier versions of the firmware, and if you install flashme it will disable the checks.
    Assuming you do bypass the checks though you are left with 4 megs to store the ROM and run it, DS ROMs made it 512 megabytes in size but could theoretically be a bit larger (I will have to figure out what I could easily do here) and were commonly around 64 megabytes.

All of this when you can buy a cheapo r4i gold for what $10 these days?

For the record though we can even use another DS to send such things. I imagine you could use a wii as well but the DS stuff is there and ready to go.
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/ds-downloading-station-hacked.93119/

The 3ds is an even worse story for protection.

5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Actually the RiiConnect24 team are working on a homebrew version of the WiiConnect24 servers/channels, this includes Nintendo Channel. They don't have much data to go off when it comes to Nintendo Channel though, so it may never be implemented.
    The .nds demos are available online, so it would just be a matter of figuring out how to send the data from a Wii to a DS and a homebrew alternative could be made.

6. Jonhyjp
    OP

Jonhyjp Member

Newcomer
    Jan 28, 2016
    Brazil
    All of this when you can buy a cheapo r4i gold for what $10 these days?

yeah, i tought it could have been just a simple homebrew app, but its just an idea. I have the r4