GCN Suggestion of mods for gamecube?

neo1607

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've got 2 Gamecubes sitting here that I fancy using as projects. Can anyone suggest any modifications I could do to them to make them a bit more unique than a bog standard gamecube?

I was thinking of paint jobs, and was looking at possible modchips but I have seen that many such as Xeno, Wasp, GCLoader etc. But not sure where to start with them, tried searching but there's no definitive what's best etc.

I was looking for slightly more budget friendly mods as I don't want to go spending a fortune on it as I will probably sell them on locally once I have modified them

Any help appreciated :-)

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got 2 Gamecubes sitting here that I fancy using as projects. Can anyone suggest any modifications I could do to them to make them a bit more unique than a bog standard gamecube?

I was thinking of paint jobs, and was looking at possible modchips but I have seen that many such as Xeno, Wasp, GCLoader etc. But not sure where to start with them, tried searching but there's no definitive what's best etc.

I was looking for slightly more budget friendly mods as I don't want to go spending a fortune on it as I will probably sell them on locally once I have modified them

Any help appreciated :-)
Xeno GC run about $2-5 each

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And am I right in thinking Xeno GC is just a drive chip to allow backup DVD+R? Whereas likes of GCLoader allows backups from a SD card?

Gonna be replacing the laser in one of them anyway as it is struggling with some discs
U can boot homebrew with Xeno GC

Reactions: Ryccardo

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
And am I right in thinking Xeno GC is just a drive chip to allow backup DVD+R?
gcloader will get you the best compatibility, basically 100%, because it's actually pretending to be the disk drive. it's like $80 which is expensive compared to a modchip.
using modchips like the xeno gc, yes you can use it to boot homebrew like swiss, and from that boot isos, but that's from the sd card and it's not perfect compatability, and probably won't ever be 100%. but for many games they do play fine. check the swiss compatibility tables to see how well the games you want to play are supported.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If the laser still works a XenoGC is a good option for loading Swiss fast – and loading games from SD-Gecko or SD2SP2 has become really good.

As the GCLoader is the more expensive solution, why not check out the XenoGC first? Replacing the drive is still an option later.

No, seriously. The compatibility list is worthless and completely outdated.
I could do some tests if it helps. The few games I tried so far work great.
A GameCube is incomplete without Swiss!

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yep, 2 days later after getting my SD2SP2*, my recommendation is unchanged - chip (Xen8 = accurate XenoGC clone), Swiss miniDVD, and traditional SD Gecko*

* Both have their exclusive advantages, and my opinion is that being able to use 2 memory cards or 1 memory card and 1 SDSC for the two SD-compatible games < fitting every model of console, using the superior full-size SDs, and being supported in pretty much every homebrew of any age

neo1607

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finally getting round to modding these gamecubes, ordered a couple of Xeno chips, I've got plastic primer and paint to freshen up the shells.

I was planning on doing the LED controller port mod, can't seem to find a definitive guide on it, is it just standard 3mm 5v leds i use? Some threads I've seen say they had to use resistors and some are saying just solder them straight on, anyone done the mod and can give a little advice?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs