Homebrew Suggestion: missile commander for wii, two wiimotes

MO35AB

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
Hi
i have been competing with my brother past year or so missile commander : recharged , amazing game, i never played the original, but i m a huge fun of nes, i had no atari back then, but i love old school games.
i love the wii, wiimote, and all it has to offer when it comes to aiming and shooting, i am not an expert in c and c++, mostly java and c#, i m looking to find someone interested in leading a project to develop a missile command game for wii or wii u , using 2nwiimotes is the idea, to split your brain trying to beat your best bro's high score ;)
hope this will reach out to someone who can and is interrested into realizing this idea.

Reactions: newo

newo

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
Sounds like a good idea. Simple enough to make with no magical expectations. You should probably start out by making some sketches of how the screen/UI would look. Hopefully a programmer will pick it up. I can provide help with drawing lines if that is needed. I have lots of experience with wii lines.

Last edited by newo,

MO35AB

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
Thanks bro, i have no idea how to start, i m a developer myself but more experienced with high level like dotnet and java, i also have no idea how video games are made on wii homebrew, or whatever.

newo

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
The first problem you'll have is installing devkitpro and getting the examples to run. Games on the wii are written in C or C++. They are like little console scripts that run 60 times per second. Super basic stuff. Except you can only see the output after you create the .dol file which is similar to a .exe in windows.

If you've never written a game before it might be hard to wrap you head around doing everything yourself but its fun once you get something working. You dont have to write any assembly or anything like that. You just have to remember that you have a limited amount of ram and your textures cannot be bigger than 1024x1024. And the processor is 700 mhz or something like that.

Reactions: banjo2 and MO35AB

newo

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
For you it will probably be 2k lines of code. Take about a month to put together. Grrlib will help things along quicker but its no use if you cant get devkitpro installed. And then again you'll have to be able to focus on it long enough to get it working by yourself. The wii dev community isnt large and i've already spent my yearly quota. You can always email me if you get stuck on something but the project isnt hard even for a noob to the hardware.

Reactions: banjo2

NormalMisha

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For you it will probably be 2k lines of code. Take about a month to put together. Grrlib will help things along quicker but its no use if you cant get devkitpro installed. And then again you'll have to be able to focus on it long enough to get it working by yourself. The wii dev community isnt large and i've already spent my yearly quota. You can always email me if you get stuck on something but the project isnt hard even for a noob to the hardware.

Why is getting devkitpro installed hard? And why is building the examples and getting them to run (on the Wii) hard?

Cheers.

Reactions: banjo2 and newo

newo

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
It requires some command line knowledge and clean paths. some people try to install it on thier desktops or document folder which is a good way to mess it up. Second building the examples can be done at the command line but its easier if you hook it up to a IDE like programmers note pad. Thirdly its programming and despite what online boot camps and video tutorials may tell you programming requires a certain kind of person to stick with it.

NormalMisha

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It requires some command line knowledge and clean paths. some people try to install it on thier desktops or document folder which is a good way to mess it up. Second building the examples can be done at the command line but its easier if you hook it up to a IDE like programmers note pad. Thirdly its programming and despite what online boot camps and video tutorials may tell you programming requires a certain kind of person to stick with it.

I was a high level language software dev. for 10 years. Do you think it would be feasible for me to get some simple stuff showing on screen on the Wii and having it interact with the Wiimote's sensors? I have no idea.

Reactions: banjo2 and newo

newo

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
Yes, its plain c. You install devkitpro, install programmers notepad. Open an example then compile and you get a dol. The dol can be put on a sd card and run on the wii or the dolphin emu.

I found this on yt;

Search for libogc on github if you want to see the base examples that come with devkitpro.

NormalMisha

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, its plain c. You install devkitpro, install programmers notepad. Open an example then compile and you get a dol. The dol can be put on a sd card and run on the wii or the dolphin emu.

I found this on yt;

Search for libogc on github if you want to see the base examples that come with devkitpro.

Thanks for the vid. I'm just imagining doing graphics stuff in plain C. Are there lots of libraries and stuff?

newo

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
no, not really - there are a few wrappers but in the examples you basically start the GPU then you send lines, quads, triangles or points to it with a colour or a normal or texture. then you tell it to draw the stuff you send. You do this over and over 60 times a second. while getting controller values 4 wiimotes, or 4 gamecube controllers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The mutated Axolotl was awesome