Gaming Suggestion for improving combat in BotW (weapons breaking)

Gadd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, the weapons don't last very long, and it's a way for Nintendo to encourage players to use different weapons and be creative...fine. Not a bad idea (though I agree with a comment I read suggesting they should last about double what they do). That said, I find that often I'm fighting a bunch of enemies, and my weapon breaks at just the wrong time, and all of a sudden I'm empty handed and get hit or killed because my attack button suddenly becomes useless. Because the rhythm of the fight is broken it messes up whatever fighting action I was trying to pull off at the time (it's like the old street fighter 2 cheat of hitting the pause button to screw up your opponents timing on their attack or combo, really pisses me off!)

So I was thinking, why not patch the game, simply bringing up a weapon automatically when one breaks. You could select your top 3 choices, and then it would bring up your top choice, and then your next and next, as each item breaks in battle. If you don't bother ranking weapons, it could just bring up any weapon at random. What do you guys think? Should I email this to Nintendo?

owek1

Master Sword Wielder
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
we need a relic that when found, as long as it is activated all weapons are unbreakable for a certain amount of time then there'll be a cool-off period..

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yes, automatic weapon switching would improve this game greatly. with that said, when you open a chest to get a new weapon if your inventory is full, it should ask you which weapon to drop if any or cancel.

i know that can probably be annoying running around the field and getting the menu and having to answer, but that's why it should be for chests only.

Reactions: NekoMichi

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game is fine. No patch needed. Its part of what makes the game great, just get better at playing it.

When it says your weapon is about to break you normally have 2 more hits left. Swap weapons then. Or break it and hit the switch button. The game already pauses for you to switch no need to make things easier.

I can get a combo off then switch weapons and finish off with a back flip bow attack.
Just up your skills

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
The game is fine. No patch needed. Its part of what makes the game great, just get better at playing it.

When it says your weapon is about to break you normally have 2 more hits left. Swap weapons then. Or break it and hit the switch button. The game already pauses for you to switch no need to make things easier.

I can get a combo off then switch weapons and finish off with a back flip bow attack.
Just up your skills
I often throw the weapons the face of an enemy when it's almost gone. Since they seem to do a lot more damage when they explode or if it's just placebo. I don't know.

Reactions: H1B1Esquire

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've never once had a problem with weapons breaking, because weapon switching pauses the game.
It's incredibly easy to anticipate because it warns you, as soon as you see the big explosion of your weapon going poof, hit right on the dpad and pick another weapon. I'd prefer it not switch me into a 2H weapon when i'm trying to parry things.

Also the durability system is great. Usually I despise it but it really makes you choose your weapon for a situation wisely. Is this the time to use that epic 2H sword you found?
Should I waste some of my elemental weapons durability? Do I just pick up its weapon and plink it to death with it?
It adds so much variety and once you get certain weapons that are more reliably kept, you do get a lot more stability in combat to reduce the need to have to carefully pick a weapon as often.
They did the system absurdly well and I have to applaud them for making a game where i'm actually sitting here defending durability, because I never thought i'd be doing that.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The problem is that your weapons slots are very limited at first. You can carry unlimited (probably) items and food but only so many weapons, until you are able to slowly get enough seeds to upgrade it enough.

Of course, only as I was typing this did it occur to me that I could just leave the weapons in the shrine chests alone until I need them...

Gadd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never once had a problem with weapons breaking, because weapon switching pauses the game.
It's incredibly easy to anticipate because it warns you, as soon as you see the big explosion of your weapon going poof, hit right on the dpad and pick another weapon. I'd prefer it not switch me into a 2H weapon when i'm trying to parry things.

Also the durability system is great. Usually I despise it but it really makes you choose your weapon for a situation wisely. Is this the time to use that epic 2H sword you found?
Should I waste some of my elemental weapons durability? Do I just pick up its weapon and plink it to death with it?
It adds so much variety and once you get certain weapons that are more reliably kept, you do get a lot more stability in combat to reduce the need to have to carefully pick a weapon as often.
They did the system absurdly well and I have to applaud them for making a game where i'm actually sitting here defending durability, because I never thought i'd be doing that.

They didn't have to try hard, you're clearly a nintendo dickrider/circlejerker that would defend any stupid decision they made.

kehkou

does what Nintendon't
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is that your weapons slots are very limited at first. You can carry unlimited (probably) items and food but only so many weapons, until you are able to slowly get enough seeds to upgrade it enough.

Of course, only as I was typing this did it occur to me that I could just leave the weapons in the shrine chests alone until I need them...
I maxed out my food at 3 pages.:sad:

goldensun87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think anyone should be defending the durability system. It does not work well with Zelda. The weapons should have stayed indestructible, and if they really wanted to make the game more like Elder Scrolls, they could've implemented a weapon leveling system. Taking on higher level enemies with a low level weapon is higher risk, but the weapon earns more experience if you manage the kill.

Reactions: Gadd

owek1

Master Sword Wielder
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
or all weapons can be repaired for a price just bring rupees to the blacksmith or you could craft them yourself..

Reactions: Gadd

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  1. Buy wii u version
  2. Wait for mods (Or request one for the durability AND stamina removal.... suggest weather and temp effects too)
  3. Apply, play, be happy
  4. OPTION, use cheats.
Unless switch can get cheats anytime soon, i guess is just a matter of time for cheats or mods. :P

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
bombs, bomb arrows work good. get their hp down with BA or bombs than finish em off with shitty weapons. i don't need your shitty cheats you damn dirty hackerz! :P

Reactions: owek1

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't think anyone should be defending the durability system. It does not work well with Zelda. The weapons should have stayed indestructible, and if they really wanted to make the game more like Elder Scrolls, they could've implemented a weapon leveling system. Taking on higher level enemies with a low level weapon is higher risk, but the weapon earns more experience if you manage the kill.

So it didn't work because you didn't like it?
Your argument is moot because, well, you don't have one. It works great. The game would actually be boring as fuck without its current systems in place.

if you didn't notice, BOTW is wildly different from other Zelda titles. So, sure it wouldn't have worked great for Ocarina of Time where nothing would drop you a new weapon, but in this world full of enemies all wielding weapons, chests everywhere with weapons, weapons lying around, weapons in shrines, etc etc, yes it works just fine. There has been maybe one or two moments in the game where I ran low on weapons, and all I did was take out a bomb, throw it at something and then beat it to death with its own weapon.
The current system encourages variety through careful weapon conservation. If that's not your cup of tea, there's plenty of boring carebear Zelda games for you to go enjoy. It doesn't make the system bad in any sense. it's just different.

As soon as you find Hestu you get quite a few slots very quickly. I completely ignored bow and shield for a while because I went through them maybe 1/10th as often. You find koroks everywhere. There's so many of the little bastards, you build up weapon slots pretty quick since they're so cheap at first.
I think the only real problem is that they don't make Hestu a story NPC...so he's easy to miss. I know I missed him for a very long time until i googled where to use korok seeds.

Last edited by Hells Malice,

Gadd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it didn't work because you didn't like it?
Your argument is moot because, well, you don't have one. It works great. The game would actually be boring as fuck without its current systems in place.

if you didn't notice, BOTW is wildly different from other Zelda titles. So, sure it wouldn't have worked great for Ocarina of Time where nothing would drop you a new weapon, but in this world full of enemies all wielding weapons, chests everywhere with weapons, weapons lying around, weapons in shrines, etc etc, yes it works just fine. There has been maybe one or two moments in the game where I ran low on weapons, and all I did was take out a bomb, throw it at something and then beat it to death with its own weapon.
The current system encourages variety through careful weapon conservation. If that's not your cup of tea, there's plenty of boring carebear Zelda games for you to go enjoy. It doesn't make the system bad in any sense. it's just different.

As soon as you find Hestu you get quite a few slots very quickly. I completely ignored bow and shield for a while because I went through them maybe 1/10th as often. You find koroks everywhere. There's so many of the little bastards, you build up weapon slots pretty quick since they're so cheap at first.
I think the only real problem is that they don't make Hestu a story NPC...so he's easy to miss. I know I missed him for a very long time until i googled where to use korok seeds.

It's also wildly different weapon system than other open world games, and in this case not in a good way. Most games I've seen make you repair the weapon with similar weapons, emptying your inventory of weapons, and/or you have to go to a blacksmith to get them repaired. Here you have to go to another enemy or shrine, to get another crappy weapon. It's just a hassle to be changing out your weapon every second, it's a distraction from the game. And it's irritating in combat, when you can easily go through 3-5 weapons in a fight, nothing but interuptions and distractions. You can try to honey coat that all you want but it's not a good thing, it's a constant irritant.

Reactions: goldensun87

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)