GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I was just wondering why cant we blog anonymous?

I have friends of mine that i know that are on here and also people that i know that arent friends and they all know my nick.
If I wanted to blog .. lets just say it would haunt me for a looooooooooong time depending on the subject.
But if you can blog anonymous you dont have to wory about that... hell the people who hate you irl might actually give you good advice in the end
tongue.gif

Just a suggestion

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then blog somewhere else or don't blog about things your friends will care about. We aren't a blog site anyway, blogs are just a bonus feature. If you want to blog anonymously do so on a site dedicated to blogging.

Thoob

LOLmonade.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If they are your "friends", then surely you should be willing to tell them more about yourself then you are to a bunch of random strangers on the internet.

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thoob said:
If they are your "friends", then surely you should be willing to tell them more about yourself then you are to a bunch of random strangers on the internet.

Like i said people that arent exactly my friends found out by my username aswell ;p

And Guild McCommunist .. i know that GBAtemp isnt a blogsite ... hence its a suggestion not a demand

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thoob said:

That's not true.
There were a few things I didn't want people who I associated with in real life to know anything I blogged cause I felt more open to people over the net than I did with them and they after they saw my blog, they started checking everything I posted.

Just because people are over the net, doesn't mean they'll listen less.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Well its not a horrible idea really. I can see situations where people would wish to write a blog and be anonymous, maybe not just from family and friends but maybe just to be anonymous to other members here. The biggest issue I can see with it would be people abusing this function in order to anonymously break the rules. But if the staff had the ability to know which member made the blog but regular members did not then it could work.

Ellie said:
Already suggested and rejected. (I know it's not exactly the same idea but you get the gist: no.)

Get a real blog if you really want to. It's absolutely useless though, as nobody cares.

Actually I consider the two ideas rather different. Excluding guests or anyone else is something that I don't think is a good idea and can be easily circumvented (by joining the site) so its pretty pointless. But having the ability to write an anonymous blog may lead to more open, interesting and honest bloging.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I understand the logic behind anonymous blogging, but seeing as GBAtemp is a forum community, the purposes of blogs are really to facilitate discussion and interaction between members. There are also rule breaking concerns, as p1ng suggested.

The subject may be different, but I feel this saying applies: "If you are ashamed to buy condoms, then you are not ready to be having sex in the first place". If you truly have something you are ashamed to say in front of folks you know, then maybe you shouldn't be saying it at all? If anything, perhaps an actual hand-written journal that only you can read would be the best solution.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
p1ngpong said:
Actually I consider the two ideas rather different. Excluding guests or anyone else is something that I don't think is a good idea and can be easily circumvented (by joining the site) so its pretty pointless. But having the ability to write an anonymous blog may lead to more open, interesting and honest bloging.
It's pretty much the same to me: you write a blog, in one case, you don't let anyone that isn't a member read it, in the other case, anyone can read it, but nobody knows who wrote it. Main point: you want to keep something hidden from people, be it your username or the blog itself. Don't write it if you don't want people to know more about you than they already do.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
p1ngpong said:
Well its not a horrible idea really. I can see situations where people would wish to write a blog and be anonymous, maybe not just from family and friends but maybe just to be anonymous to other members here. The biggest issue I can see with it would be people abusing this function in order to anonymously break the rules. But if the staff had the ability to know which member made the blog but regular members did not then it could work.
I agree, if only the staff can see who is writing the blog and not all members then no one can break the rules because they will still get warned/banned etc.

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ellie .. not the same thing. It could be a part of its but this is taking it a step further

And users would be anonymous to other users and guests, ofcourse Admins should be able to see who it is for said reasons, abuse and rulebreaking.

And wether something is anonymous or not, people can still troll their heads off and link rom sites etc etc so tbh Depravo thats not really a good argument against it. Because nothing would change from how it is now except for a fuction that hides your nickname from the general users/guests

I dont know what the big deal with it is. And yes I know you can do this or that use that site or the other site. But in all honesty if Im going to expose my issues with the internetworld Id ratehr that it be on a website where people like me, computergeeks (no offense lol) and the likes, are. Rather then some websites were random dickheads can reply and dont know a whole lot

And on the rule breaking .. you can still report something regardless of wether its anonymous or not. And in the end the community is whats the great thing about GBATemp so the abuse would stay minimal I reckon

Ellie said:
p1ngpong said:
It's pretty much the same to me: you write a blog, in one case, you don't let anyone that isn't a member read it, in the other case, anyone can read it, but nobody knows who wrote it. Main point: you want to keep something hidden from people, be it your username or the blog itself. Don't write it if you don't want people to know more about you than they already do.

And its called venting. in the 18th century they used poems in the 19th century they wrote plays in the 20th century they kept a diary and now in the 21th century, one of no boundries and sharing things globally, its the internet and I think a better statement would be that if you dont want to be bothered with blogs .. dont go there
smile.gif

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
GundamXXX said:
Ellie said:
It's pretty much the same to me: you write a blog, in one case, you don't let anyone that isn't a member read it, in the other case, anyone can read it, but nobody knows who wrote it. Main point: you want to keep something hidden from people, be it your username or the blog itself. Don't write it if you don't want people to know more about you than they already do.And its called venting. in the 18th century they used poems in the 19th century they wrote plays in the 20th century they kept a diary and now in the 21th century, one of no boundries and sharing things globally, its the internet and I think a better statement would be that if you dont want to be bothered with blogs .. dont go there
smile.gif
That really has absolutely nothing to do with what I said.

QUOTE(GundamXXX @ Aug 15 2010, 01:21 PM)
And in the end the community is whats the great thing about GBATemp so the abuse would stay minimal I reckon
Sure it is mate, sure it is.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Ellie said:
p1ngpong said:

It may be the same to you, which is fine, but its not the same at all. I am talking about a matter of effectiveness here, the previous suggestion just would not be effective for its purpose. Which would make its introduction pointless. The previous suggestion was to exclude non members from a particular blog, which works under the assumption that a non member knows you have an account here, and knows you blog about yourself on the site.

So you use the new function we introduced, set a blog so that non members cant see it, great. Then that non member who knows you blog here takes two minutes to make an account and so renders the new function and your use of it completely redundant. Because the original suggestion is inherently flawed as an idea.

If we were to introduce this new suggestion, which by the looks of it is unlikely, but anyway. Absolutely nobody outside the staff would know who created an anonymous blog, member or not. So it would be pretty much impossible to circumvent its purpose, unless you included obvious details about your identity in the thing you wrote about.

If you want to keep things completely private, sure, don't blog about things in the first place like you said. But that really has no bearing on the comparison between the two suggestions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: