Suggestion about a good handheld to use with roms.

MarcoAssia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello. I'm looking for a good handheld system to use with emulators and roms(I prefer SNES and PS1 games).
I found something, but only in old topics, so maybe today the situation is slightly different.
I prefer to buy something on about 150 Euro.

Avoid to suggest PSP or Nvidia Shield.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If you want a good one then you'll probably want either the PSP or the Shield. If not those then any other Android gaming system, although those come in varied levels of quality so naturally they're hit and miss. There is also the option of the Dingoo series or the GP2x series, but they're grossly outdated for todays standards. If you want something open source, grab a GCW Zero - the resolution may not be mindblowing, but should be fine for most retro systems - look into it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
PSP is your best bet. Tell me, what do you have against it? It's an awesome portable gaming machine on the go.
Maybe he just has one and wants to upgrade to something with more juice. If not, I second your opinion - a PSP is a good marriage of good performance and a low price point as far as emulation is concerned.

MarcoAssia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
How SNES and PS1 emulators works on a PSP? Anyway, I prefer to have something smaller.
I already know GCW Zero, but seems to not have a PS1 emulator.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wanted something close to what your asking for, so I picked up a JXD S7800B.

My mini review after using it daily since March 5th is in a word fantastic!

Once you install a third party firmware that is. The one JXD uses is OK but there are better ones.

MarcoAssia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I wanted something close to what your asking for, so I picked up a JXD S7800B.

My mini review after using it daily since March 5th is in a word fantastic!

Once you install a third party firmware that is. The one JXD uses is OK but there are better ones.

Are there resellers that have it for less than 125$, as on official site? And how it run Ps1 games?

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are there resellers that have it for less than 125$, as on official site? And how it run Ps1 games?

PS1 is flawless with the latest epsxe auto download of cheats, support for save states every I so file type. Just brilliant.

One downside is I have yet to find a good PC Engine or TG 16 emu.

As for a seller I went with dino direct but I hear Ali express is OK too.

MarcoAssia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Uhm..for now:
JXD S7800B Cons
- Huge. Seems to be bigger than a PSP.
- PSP Emulation isn't so good.

PSP Cons
- Snes emulation isn't so good.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
How SNES and PS1 emulators works on a PSP? Anyway, I prefer to have something smaller.
I already know GCW Zero, but seems to not have a PS1 emulator.

psp uses sony ps1 emulator, and its great

the thing is, psp only have L R and 1 thumbstick buttons, a ps1 with dualshock does have 2 analogics + R2/R3 +L2/L3
but there are options and hotkeys for enable them if i remember...

but psp is a really good emulation device

MarcoAssia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
psp uses sony ps1 emulator, and its great

the thing is, psp only have L R and 1 thumbstick buttons, a ps1 with dualshock does have 2 analogics + R2/R3 +L2/L3
but there are options and hotkeys for enable them if i remember...

but psp is a really good emulation device

There aren's so many ps1 games that uses analogics. Perhaps the problem is for L2 and R2. Anyway, I read that it isn't so good to emulate Snes.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uhm..for now:
JXD S7800B Cons
- Huge. Seems to be bigger than a PSP.
- PSP Emulation isn't so good.

PSP Cons
- Snes emulation isn't so good.

Oh yeah the JXD is huge that 7 inch IPS screen is a beauty but if you don't have large hands maybe something smaller would be better, PSP emulation is really not a problem specific to the JXD.

Some other cons, N64 emulation is hit and miss on Android right now. Dreamcast Emulation actually seems to be more advanced than N64 emulation. (Yes I play Dreamcast games :P lol)

Another pro or con you may not have considered or do not consider a problem depending on your planned usage. Speakers, the speakers in the JXD are fantastic even better than the ones in the DS (if you have ever tried one.) the speakers in the PSP to be quite frank suck..... They sound slightly better than a phone put on speaker. If you plan on using headphones a lot than you can ignore this entire chunk of text, because at that point the PSP has great sound. (Maybe some external speakers would be cool too.)

Battery life is something to consider as well, PSP depending on what your doing can be drained in about 2 hours. The JXD is huge so it has a huge ass battery too, this gives it a 6 hour play time no matter what I am doing.

None of the solutions will be perfect for everything, but I will say that Android devices are being constantly developed for. So eventually it will even better than it is now.

*Side note on PSP emulation on the S7800B, all the speed issues can be fixed by lowing the resolution on the JXD to match the PSP's native resolution. Compatibility issues due to the emulator just simply not being 100% can't be fixed on any Android device. Fixing those games requires updates to the emulation software.

Another down side to the JXD machine, the analog sticks can be a pain in the ass sometimes... Playing Gran Turismo 2 on the PS1 sometimes I have to mess with the controller options to get it working. Not sure what the deal is but I hear in the newer firmwares (coming soon! lol) that issue is fixed.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...why are you guys saying that SNES emulation is dodgy on the PSP? I've never heard of people having any issues with it.

Everything is dodgy on the PSP :P lol (kidding)

The only complaints I ever heard about SNES on the PSP was some of the FX chip based games may have run a little sluggish. But that was a long ass time ago and to be honest I assume it is fixed by now?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Everything is dodgy on the PSP :P lol (kidding)

The only complaints I ever heard about SNES on the PSP was some of the FX chip based games may have run a little sluggish. But that was a long ass time ago and to be honest I assume it is fixed by now?
I can see how FX chips or DSP chips could be hit-and-miss on the PSP, mostly because they're hit-and-miss on just about everything except BSNES which has ridiculous specs requirements. Other than that, SNES emulation is perfectly fine and if size constraints are the issue then just get the PSP Go - it's no bigger than your average smartphone.

MarcoAssia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I can see how FX chips or DSP chips could be hit-and-miss on the PSP, mostly because they're hit-and-miss on just about everything except BSNES which has ridiculous specs requirements. Other than that, SNES emulation is perfectly fine and if size constraints are the issue then just get the PSP Go - it's no bigger than your average smartphone.

Yes, Probably I get a PSP Go. I'm interested mainly in rpg, and I think only Mario RPG has FX chipset. Thanks to Nintendo for have never make a remake.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: both of which work well in potplayer