Crave the Hammer
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Lately there seem to be a lot of users with very large sigs consisting of several images and lots of text. Quite often they fit within the 50KB specified in the forum rules, but it seems to me that they are not following the spirit of the rules, which seems to be "don't have a huge sig".

My suggestion is to keep the file size limits as they are, but to change the dimension limits to a maximum vertical size for the entire sig (as opposed to just the main graphic), and a maximum width for the widest image in the sig. That way people can have an average size main sig graphic and some text, a larger sig image and little or no text, or a lot of text and no images (or just very small ones).

I'm thinking around 135px for the total verticle limit, and 500 for the horizontal limit. Whatever sizes are chosen, it should be a strict limit, at least for the vertical size. This will give people a room to be creative, while still preventing huge sigs.

Referral links should be explicitly prohibited. They really bug me, and they seem to violate the rules about advertising, seeing as how they are not links to the member's own website or forum. I think giant text in sigs should be prohibited, but that's just my opinion. Sigs shouldn't distract people.

Regardless of whether or not any of these changes are made, the signature guidelines ought to be on the sig editing page as well as in the rules. That way everyone with a sig has to see them.

Edit: In case it isn't clear, I don't think the rules should really be more strict that they are now, just more specific.

Seyiji

Rawr :3
Trophies
Website
www.rage3d.com
XP
Country
United States
There is something else I have just noticed what is with the white space in some peoples sigs :\

ferrariman, asuri, VISHI SO FISHI and theclaw all have white space in their sigs whereas mine, fischju and Mewgia have none.

EDIT: Wait I just made this post and now there is white space in my sig could this be a forum bug?

EDIT2: Now there is no white space :\

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Seyiji said:
There is something else I have just noticed what is with the white space in some peoples sigs :\

ferrariman, asuri, VISHI SO FISHI and theclaw all have white space in their sigs whereas mine, fischju and Mewgia have none.

EDIT: Wait I just made this post and now there is white space in my sig could this be a forum bug?

Sigs are automatically stretched to the side avatar/post count bar thing

Seyiji

Trophies
Website
www.rage3d.com
XP
Country
United States
fischju said:
Sigs are automatically stretched to the side avatar/post count bar thing
I don't think we are talking about the same thing
unsure.gif

In the case of VISHI SO FISHI:
whitespace.jpg

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I Agree with everything said by Destructobot. The main issue for me are the referral links, though. I *hate* them, I think only people with a serious flaw in character would use such a thing and I think it makes people spam even more.

[EDIT]
Ahem, and, about the whitespace issue... I guess that's not coming from signatures, that's coming from a combination of the height of your avatar and the post length. Large avatar + short post = huge whitespace.

Just noticed that in my own post.
biggrin.gif

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why do you think referral links were invented, to put on forums. I actually like them, and I don't I just ignore it. I think I've signed up for some here.
smile.gif

What annoys me is LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG... long sigs that take up the whole page.

I say use keep referrals, and take Narin's idea. A scrollbar.

Some referrals are used for good purposes. Like mine. >.> Tournament prizes?
tongue.gif
But keep referral links, please!

PharaohsVizier said:
Ummm does anyone mind my sig, I can't remember who it was, but they made reference to my sig's vertical height being almost the same as their massive sig. I think it's been a bit bigger than usual because I listed the prizes. Again, anyone care?
I don't see anything wrong with it. Mine longer... I dunno...

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
enarky said:
I Agree with everything said by Destructobot. The main issue for me are the referral links, though. I *hate* them, I think only people with a serious flaw in character would use such a thing and I think it makes people spam even more.
Uhh...what? Why do I have a serious character flaw because I put my referral links in my sig? Just because I am 14 and have no job but still want to make money doesn't mean that I am a terrible person.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Alex said:
Why do you think referral links were invented, to put on forums. I actually like them, and I don't I just ignore it. I think I've signed up for some here.
smile.gif

What annoys me is LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG... long sigs that take up the whole page.

I say use keep referrals, and take Narin's idea. A scrollbar.

Some referrals are used for good purposes. Like mine. >.> Tournament prizes?
tongue.gif
But keep referral links, please!

PharaohsVizier said:
Ummm does anyone mind my sig, I can't remember who it was, but they made reference to my sig's vertical height being almost the same as their massive sig. I think it's been a bit bigger than usual because I listed the prizes. Again, anyone care?
I don't see anything wrong with it. Mine longer... I dunno...
Actually, you kinda have a too long sig.......There are way too many stuff there...
And to say my opinion, kill referral banners, I don't mind text with referral if it's not too big (like Mewgia has, that's OK), but banners are freakin' annoying.....and they really bothers me..

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Mewgia said:
enarky said:
Uhh...what? Why do I have a serious character flaw because I put my referral links in my sig? Just because I am 14 and have no job but still want to make money doesn't mean that I am a terrible person.
That "flaw" I'm referring to would be "Greed". Some people see that as a positive trait, I don't. You should be posting here to have fun, waste some time and help people, not to make money.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Mewgia said:
enarky said:
Holy shit, your sig looks like something from a pop-up ad.
hate2.gif

User ignored.

Check out this guy's signature:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showuser=129254

Image is larger than max dimensions, file size is double than the max allowed size, plus he added a shitload of text at the bottom. But no referral links.
ohmy.gif

Seyiji

Trophies
Website
www.rage3d.com
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
I am bumping this because referral links should be banned.
grog.gif

I'm sad that Adblock Plus does not work on text links
frown.gif

Oh well I just blocked Alex's pokemon feeding thing
laugh.gif

QUOTE(DrKupo @ Aug 25 2008, 11:25 PM) No referral links, I don't want to see that shit. BUY WHAT YOU WANT, DON'T SPAM UP THE FOURMS.

jerks.
Yeah you kids get a paper route or something
laugh.gif

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
DeMoN said:
Mewgia said:
enarky said:
Holy shit, your sig looks like something from a pop-up ad.
hate2.gif

User ignored.

Check out this guy's signature:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showuser=129254

Image is larger than max dimensions, file size is double than the max allowed size, plus he added a shitload of text at the bottom. But no referral links.
ohmy.gif
LOL! What a sad, sad loser!

I think long sigs, and some refferal links be banned, stuff thats really selfish should be banned, but like Alex's FretFury thing on .tk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)