Suddenly slow video streaming

4-leaf-clover

SHSL LUCKSTER :/
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So when i'm watching a video on youtube and other sites the video takes a really long time to buffer sometimes it's not doing anything even when i'm standing right next to my router .
And i'm having this problem on my pc, laptop, Iphone and my xbox.. And i don't know what the problem is ive tried everything..
Though i'm not having problems with things like browsing and online gaming..

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Think of all the different places the data signal travels through to reach your computer. That's the number of possible reasons for your data stream to be slow.

Most commonly, your router is being taxed (check who else in your house/vicinity is using your internet, and who is using torrents, games or other high-bandwidth services), your router's RAM may be clogged up (reset will fix this), your ISP port may be deteriorating (reset usually fixes this), your ISP may be "managing" you (check your ISP T&C for how they do this), or it's peak time (either locally for your telephone exchange, or remotely for youtube's servers). It could also be your computer/browser, but that's always easily fixed with a reset.

Keep in mind browsing takes very little bandwidth (so long as your upload bandwidth isn't being used up) and online gaming may not take as much bandwidth as a video stream (depending on the game, and quality of the video).

4-leaf-clover

SHSL LUCKSTER :/
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So i'm bringing this thread back because i have the same problem again and now even stuff like Reset won't help.
And it's really annoying me now because i'm having this problem for about 2 months now.
The Router im using is a Netgear WNR3500v2

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you reboot your router, let it sit and cool off for a few minutes. Also you might drop it... not like on the floor or anything but lift it up off the shelf a good 2-3 inches and let it clunk down. Knock the dust off and blow it out :)

Also there have been a lot of slow downs on the internet lately, I have my suspicion that IPv4 is finally giving us the middle finger and maybe its time for IPv6 to take over.

I have some other insane theories but if I start spewing them people will start asking to sign up for my news letter... lol

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
  1. In your start/globe menu, go to the "run" command. If you're on vista/7, you'd use the little white box near the bottom. Type in "CMD" and press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER.
  2. In the black box that comes up, type this with no quotes, and press enter. "cd desktop".
  3. Then in the black box, type this with no quotes and press enter. "ping -t google.com > ping.txt". It won't appear to do anything, just let it sit for a few minutes.
  4. After a few minutes, go back to the black box and press CTRL+C.
  5. Type "exit" with no quotes and press enter to close the black box.
  6. You should have ping.txt on your desktop. Copy it's contents onto a site like http://paste2.org/new-paste and link us.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i think im a bad person