Sucker Punch

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I saw it yesterday and it was pretty good. It's a Zack Snyder flick and that's pretty much it. But that's hardly a bad thing if you're into super awesome stylish guy flicks packed with awesome action and cinematography.

I read some reviews beforehand saying it's bad or even "the worst movie made", but it's just a guy flick in all its glory. I mean, it crams almost every single sector of action flicks.

It's basically Inception meets 300 though, and it's pretty good. What do you guys think?

EDIT: The soundtrack is also worth a listen. It's got a pretty awesome Queen I Want It All/We Will Rock You mash-up on it and a nice cover of Sweet Dreams. It's like songs with vocals too so it's not just generic white noise and it's pretty much electronica. One of the few movie soundtracks I'd actually listen to (although the Tron soundtrack and Social Network ones were good too).

D

Deleted User

I think I should go too now I'm convinced it's not that bad. thank you Guild!

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Nope. Hated it. It was disguised in eye-candy visuals but had a horribly shallow and useless plot. It had cliched dialog and bad development. It had this desperate eroticism that was not really that erotic. Sure it had action and shit, but it's kind of like Transformers, it was ALL action. Too much action, not enough story.

It bored me. Yeah sure, if you like turning your brain off that's fine, but that doesn't work for me. It was all a bunch of action that they mashed together with a stupid and meaningless plot. This is perhaps the best example of a movie that places style over substance. (no, wait, that's the second Transformers movie, my bad)

But the effects were very good, I admit that. That means it's fodder for the people who don't care about the plot and want to look at pretty action. (the same people that earned the Transformers movie so much money)

I mean, I don't have anything against Zack Snyder (I loved Watchmen), but this is a really, really mediocre film.

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I havent watched it, but I might!
biggrin.gif

And the title remineded me of a pokemon attack "Sucker Punch"
tongue.gif
!
(how does Dugtrio use Sucker Punch lol)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingdomBlade said:
I mean, I don't have anything against Zack Snyder (I loved Watchmen), but this is a really, really mediocre film.

Well that's because it's fucking Watchmen. That movie had a lot to do with plot compared to Snyder's other films (like the man-fest 300 and this one). I mean the plot in this one wasn't exactly bad and they pulled a decent Inception-type layering, but it was primarily a man-flick. High action, little else.

And yes, this soundtrack is amazing. A cover of Tomorrow Never Knows, Sweet Dreams, and a Queen mash-up, plus tons of other great stuff.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
High action, little else.

That's the exact problem. He pulled a Michael Bay by doing that. Just like Transformers, there's flashy effects, erotic women, high action, trying-to-be-complex plot, it just doesn't strike enough balance. There are plenty of action man-flicks that work well, this is just not one of them. I wasn't really expecting much, but the movie bored me to hell.

lordrand11

The Wheel of Time Turns and Ages Come And Pass.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GreatCrippler said:
I am gonna go watch this Tuesday. I liked Dawn of the Dead, and 300. HATED Watchmen with a passion. If nothing else this looks filled with hotties in skimpy clothes. Probably enough to bother watching it.

I absolutely love you man!?! (As far as why I get narc'ed on for hating that movie too) I hated Watchmen with a burning passion as well. But Sucker Punch looks ok at best. Seems like it's trying to draw a lot of its inspiration from Pan's Labyrinth.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
lordrand11 said:
GreatCrippler said:
I am gonna go watch this Tuesday. I liked Dawn of the Dead, and 300. HATED Watchmen with a passion. If nothing else this looks filled with hotties in skimpy clothes. Probably enough to bother watching it.

I absolutely love you man!?! (As far as why I get narc'ed on for hating that movie too) I hated Watchmen with a burning passion as well. But Sucker Punch looks ok at best. Seems like it's trying to draw a lot of its inspiration from Pan's Labyrinth.

Watchmen was a very polarizing film. Half hate it with a burning passion, half love it. It was kind of like... Fight Club, extremely polarizing.

Actually, it draws its inspiration from 1. Snyder's other films, and 2. Supposedly Alice in Wonderland. I would get pissed if it was in fact, inspired from Pans Labyrinth (which was a masterpiece).

lordrand11

The Wheel of Time Turns and Ages Come And Pass.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingdomBlade said:
lordrand11 said:
GreatCrippler said:

Watchmen was a very polarizing film. Half hate it with a burning passion, half love it. It was kind of like... Fight Club, extremely polarizing.

Actually, it draws its inspiration from 1. Snyder's other films, and 2. Supposedly Alice in Wonderland. I would get pissed if it was in fact, inspired from Pans Labyrinth (which was a masterpiece).

I was only making that comment on Pan's Labyrinth because of the trailer. I haven't had a chance to watch this yet, but I do plan to. As far as Watchmen is concerned I got sick of the movie because of the almost 2 and a half hours this movie spent reciprocating the same point continuously.

foxgrey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have to agree with all the previous comments, The plot is sallow, but the action is intense. It has its own visual style that you'll either love or hate.

The soundtrack is insane! Can't forget the "White Rabbit" thrown in there.

If your not looking for a movie to change you life, but to get your 10 bucks worth. This movie is teh awesome!

Although I gotta say, the whole concept of angels to some, demons to others is amazing(not the first, nor the last movie, book, manga to use this). Also those that fight for life, enjoy it more!

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
BoxShot said:
KingdomBlade said:
BoxShot said:
I'm confused. The story make absolutely no sense to me.

The action completely bored me.

Finally! Someone that agrees.
Frankly the second transformers was more entertaining than this.
In entertainment value, they were more or less the same.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"