Hacking successfully RGH modded 360 but confused about USB setup

simbin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just successfully RGH 1.2 modded my 360 but I'm not sure how I get my games and alternate dash running off a USB. I would like to use a single 64GB USB for now (probably change this later). I have no internal hard drive, so the Xbox 360 wants to format this to 32GB? What are my best options here? Thanks

Edit: just wanted to thank everyone for their help, and per your suggestions, decided to go with an internal hard drive.

Last edited by simbin,
Reactions: FanNintendo

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was pretty sure you had to have an internal to hold either Aurora or FSD, but someone could correct me if I'm wrong. They're pretty cheap on Ebay and such now I would just buy one.

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xex Menu is your next step. You can either copy and paste the file in the correct structure to the usb, or you can format it in the xbox and use Horizon on the comp to inject it. The format is like 0000000000000000/CODE9999/(big ass numerated file) iirc. Been awhile since I started from scratch. Once its installed properly you'll see it in your demos and recent games when the usb is in

Last edited by brickmii82,

simbin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, tried manually copying XexMenu but it doesn't show up on the 360. Horizon is giving me a Virtual Machine error, so that is holding me up for the movement.

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I missed something in the structure. My bad, its content/0000000000000000/CODE9999/(big ass file). If you format it in the 360 it'll build the folder structure and you can just copy the big ass numerated file into the right place

simbin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I was able to move XexMenu from one USB to another. Xbox is using my 64GB as a 32GB, but my PC still sees the full 64GB, so I'm guessing now that I got XexMenu, it will utilize the full space. Is there any specific location I need to copy the games to?

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recommend Aurora and then you can put the games anywhere and you add the location of each game and scan it so it can find it. Just be aware if a game is like 5 folders deep you have to change the depth to 5.

http://phoenix.xboxunity.net/#/news

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Here's a setup tutorial https://www.se7ensins.com/forums/th...-dashboard-w-skins-coverflow-layouts.1459755/

You'll have to register there to get all the files you need I believe, unless they're all in the first link which they may be.

Last edited by EmulateLife,

simbin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recommend Aurora and then you can put the games anywhere and you add the location of each game and scan it so it can find it. Just be aware if a game is like 5 folders deep you have to change the depth to 5.

http://phoenix.xboxunity.net/#/news

Here's a setup tutorial https://www.se7ensins.com/forums/th...-dashboard-w-skins-coverflow-layouts.1459755/

You'll have to register there to get all the files you need I believe, unless they're all in the first link which they may be.
Thanks, is there any benefit to this over FreeStyle.. see they both get mentioned a lot.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess it's just personal preference. Unless things have changed the last time I used FSD you had to enter a menu for Xbox 360 games, a different menu for XBLA games etc... while Aurora has all games laid out for you as soon as it launches, and it has some kick ass cover flows I'll take a pick of mine here in a minute it looks like a gaming shelf.

Bad cell phone pic but you get the idea.

KdQOKhj.png

There's a bunch of other cover flow options that's just the one I like.

Last edited by EmulateLife,

simbin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For some reason I just get a black screen launching Aurora off the USB. Got FreeStyle working though. Eventually I want to use an internal hard drive, so it would probably work better with that anyway.

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just successfully RGH 1.2 modded my 360 but I'm not sure how I get my games and alternate dash running off a USB. I would like to use a single 64GB USB for now (probably change this later). I have no internal hard drive, so the Xbox 360 wants to format this to 32GB? What are my best options here? Thanks
Which 360 did u hack that or slim cause I have phat jasper

I guess it's just personal preference. Unless things have changed the last time I used FSD you had to enter a menu for Xbox 360 games, a different menu for XBLA games etc... while Aurora has all games laid out for you as soon as it launches, and it has some kick ass cover flows I'll take a pick of mine here in a minute it looks like a gaming shelf.

Bad cell phone pic but you get the idea.

KdQOKhj.png

There's a bunch of other cover flow options that's just the one I like.
Cool just like WiiFlow. is it possible to add orginal Xbox games in external hdd ?

D

Deleted User

For some reason I just get a black screen launching Aurora off the USB. Got FreeStyle working though. Eventually I want to use an internal hard drive, so it would probably work better with that anyway.

Use dashlaunch to setup Aurora to autoboot. Your in FSD so use that as a launch point.

Aurora works fine from usb

Without internal you wont be able to do a few things.

simbin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an extra official 120GB (bare drive).. looks like I can solder connectors directly though. Is there anything else special I should know about setting up an internal HDD? Thanks

D

Deleted User

I have an extra official 120GB (bare drive).. looks like I can solder connectors directly though. Is there anything else special I should know about setting up an internal HDD? Thanks

If its 2.5 inch sata laptop drives they plug in directly into internal HDD port. Format with xbox 360, load fsd and Setup with dashluanch.

simbin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If its 2.5 inch sata laptop drives they plug in directly into internal HDD port. Format with xbox 360, load fsd and Setup with dashluanch.
I could order an HDD enclosure to make it easier, I just don't have one on hand (only the official bare 2.5" drive).. which is why I was just considering soldering it directly. Is it possible to use a larger 1TB or 2TB drive in the same way? Would there be any issues because they aren't official? Thanks

D

Deleted User

I could order an HDD enclosure to make it easier, I just don't have one on hand (only the official bare 2.5" drive).. which is why I was just considering soldering it directly. Is it possible to use a larger 1TB or 2TB drive in the same way? Would there be any issues because they aren't official? Thanks

2tb internal and external limit. Some older WD 4TB 3.5 USB drives also work.

Official bare dirves fit with or without caddy no soldering needed. If you have an older phat 360 drive in caddy then take it out and put it in the slim hdd slot.

Grab DashLaunch 3.20 and put it on the USB you use to boot FreeStyleDash

File Manager and browse to dashlaunch.xex called installer.xex If I remember correctly to load DashLaunch

Set your Aurora autoboot path and save to .ini then exit

Reboot xbox and if done correctly youll see the aurora logo

Last edited by ,

simbin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2tb internal and external limit. Some older WD 4TB 3.5 USB drives also work.

Official bare dirves fit with or without caddy no soldering needed. If you have an older phat 360 drive in caddy then take it out and put it in the slim hdd slot.
This is a phat Falcon, not slim. I used the original caddy when updating my Jasper to official 500gb. I have the old slim caddy, but that will do me no good on the phat. So if I plug a 2tb internally, Xbox 360 will format it? I thought 500gb was the limit, or does being RGH'd somehow affect that? Looks like I need to move over the special partition for OG Xbox too.

Last edited by simbin,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn