Successful A9LH install on N3DS XL v10.3

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by chaser, Nov 13, 2016.

1. chaser
    OP

chaser Member

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2005
    Hi all.

Just a quick note to thank all those who have put time and effort into finding exploits, developing tools & guides, and providing general assistance for dummies like me to downgrade & install A9LH / Luma on our 3DS's.

I've previously done 2 old 3DS's (one required hardmod) and one 2DS without any issue. This was my first new 3DS.

I followed the latest plailect otpless guide, and other than a couple of minor errors that required me to repeat steps, everything went very smoothly.

The guide (section V) had me install and configure menuhax, which seemed to be a bit of a redundant step, given that it appeared to get removed at the next step which was to downgrade to 9.2. Why not just use browserhax to start the Homebrew Launcher and run sysDowngrader directly from there? Just an observation - not a criticism.

Thanks again.

Last edited by chaser, Nov 13, 2016
  2. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Make a github account and make an issue on the guide if there's anything wrong with it. Plailect probably doesn't read the forum too often.

proflayton123 likes this.
  3. cravas

cravas GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 30, 2016
    Oeiras
    The menuhax step is there because it is better to launch the sysdowngrader from menuhax (bigger probability of launch rate) than from browserhax.

From the later, it's really hard to get the "am:u handle".

Quantumcat and chaser like this.
  4. chaser
    OP

chaser Member

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2005
    Thanks. I must have been unlucky that sysDowngrader failed on my first attempt - via menuhax (which then resulted in me losing menuhax). I'm not exactly sure why I lost menuhax, so I just ran sysDowngrader direct from browserhax on the second attempt, and it worked fine. Lucky in that respect, I guess.

5. Tenshi_Okami

Tenshi_Okami GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 3, 2015
    Puerto Rico
    Ok so I'm kinda late to post here, but the reason we use menuhax is because before when you downgraded with browserhax, it had more chances to end up with a failed downgrade. Plus with menuhax it has better bootrate :)

chaser and Quantumcat like this.