Stupid to buy an M3 simply or R4 right now?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by strummer12, Feb 18, 2007.

Feb 18, 2007
  1. strummer12
    OP

Member strummer12 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Do you guys think I should wait ill M3 real comes out? Any timeframe on when we'll get some info or a release date?

I've been aching to get an M3 Simply for some time now, but with M3 Real on the horizon, I just don't know. I have never messed with GBA/DS flashcarts before.

2. H8TR

Member H8TR GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    You can get one if you really want to but I suggest waiting for the M3 DS Real. It will probably work just like the EZ-Flash 3-in-1 pack. Ther should be some more info about it this week.

3. Helmut

Member Helmut GBAtemp Regular

France
    Buying a flashcart is like buying a new computer. You don't know if you must wait for the next gen graphic card or not (and when it will be available). If you think like this, you will never stop waiting the next top of the art stuff. So just don't bother about all those things and buy what you want when you can afford it.

PS: and it's not like the M3/R4 were expensive. You won't regret it.

4. 2cb2ct7

Member 2cb2ct7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    My advice... Get an R4 ASAP. It's not so expensive that it will prohibit you from buying any other flashcart that may appear in the next *insert time here* if you decide you really want the newest one.

It is also probable that the R4 will be supported longer than the M3 Simply (this has been discussed on these boards previously) although this is purely speculation, and M3 has an excellent rep for product support.

Your call! I have no regrets whatsoever about picking up an R4DS and, in fact, it has now caused my G6 Lite to sit in a drawer and gather quite a lot of dust [​IMG]

5. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    wait. that's what i'm doing ^^.

not to mention the g6 real looks great, has 2gb of inbuilt memory too! ^^

6. Xellos2099

Member Xellos2099 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If I am you, i might consider waiting for the ezflash v combo since it offer both nds support, as well as gba, rumble, and the ram for the opera brower.

7. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Currently in Hong Kong at the moment and I picked up an R4... for HK $210 which is a stark contrast to when I paid 65 pounds for an M3 CF. Not sure if I can sell that M3 yet since I have a GBA game on it still to play...

Oh and the R4 is a real solid product... and when I bought it, it also came with a 1gb micro SD with several games on it which is nice since all my roms are at home...

8. strummer12
    OP

Canada
    Thanks for the advice guys. I guess I'll just go ahead and spring for the R4. Problem is that the M3 simply is easier for me to get as the store I want to order from (Kick trading, I'm in Canada and I think I would only be confident ordering from them.) does not have the R4 or at least I can't find it on their site.

Just a question: Will future games work on these cards or are they dependant on firmware updates? If so, I wouldn't be too happy if I got an M3 simply and they axed support for it.

also I notice Castelvania has a lot of problems. Is this a bad rom dump or can it be fixed with a firmware update for M3 or R4?

9. 2cb2ct7

Member 2cb2ct7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    M3 Simply and R4 are the same product for all intensive purposes, but are not firmware compatible.

Many problematic games are often resolved by a firmware update though, so that is something to consider. Just remember that M3 has a good rep for product support so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Castlevania is just one of those games, dependent on flashcart, microsd (if applicable), etc, etc.... Don't stress too much [​IMG]

10. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I think the day M3 axes the support is the day when interest for the DS dies out and a new hand held is out. If the M3 simply is like the slot 2 solutions M3 makes, then the compatibility is really good.

11. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    Considering the unannounced release date, and R4 or M3S wouldn't be a bad idea, especially if you aren't bothered to wait.

If you can handle the wait, then you will be rewarded (hopefully). I know I'm going to try wait for the 4GB G6DS if its ever coming out.

12. strummer12
    OP

Canada
    Well I went ahead and ordered the M3 Simply from kicktrading and now I just need to get a microsd card. Just a question: Is the microsd adapter that comes with the simply a piece of garbage? I heard people saying it over heats and etc... Should I buy another one when I go to buy my micro sd card? I was hoping the included reader would be adequate.

13. mirun100

Newcomer mirun100 Member

Australia
    Do you guys have any speculation on the price of the M3 Real? Would we be looking at around the same price as the Simply?

14. Volsfan91

Member Volsfan91 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Let's see what the M3 Real has to offer before you make your decision.

If they've somehow come up with some genius idea to play GBA games out of slot 1, then it's worth waiting for.

But if it's just something like 100% download play working, evaluate it based on your needs.

The fact of the matter is that the M3 Simply is an awesome product. I've used my little sister's sparingly and in my short time with it, I've found it to be a great product that's super easy to use. (Which is why we chose that one for her- she's not the most tech savvy.)