stupid things you've said while trying to speak foreign languages

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by leafeon34, Jul 8, 2015.

1. leafeon34
    OP

leafeon34 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 30, 2014
    So a while back I was speaking some Cantonese with my friends and they taught me the phrase "ngo5 zung1 ji3 kau1 leoi2" meaning I like to pick up girls. When I said it my friends burst out in laughter because apparantly I said "ngo5 zung1 ji3 kau1 lou2" I like to pick up guys. oops :wacko:

A friend of mine once told me she walked into the alligator. The correct word is elevator.

And then there's that Korean lady on Youtube who asked the world for some cock.

xwatchmanx and Tomato Hentai like this.

2. regnad

regnad Button Masher

May 19, 2008
    As an exchange student in Germany I was chatting with a German girl living in my dorm. I wanted to ask her "kann ich dich mal besuchen?", can I visit you sometime? But I said "kann ich dich mal benutzen?", can I use you sometime? I was mortified!

3. Pleng

Pleng GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    I was attempting to ask for a large bottle of water in Thai, at the front desk of a hotel. I was trying to say the phrase "nam yai", which means big water - it's kind of unspecific as you would normally include the word bottle, but this was only like the second week of me having ever spoken anything in Thai and I didn't know that.

The woman looked kind of confused as I requested "nom yai krab", and was reaching for the phone. I kept blurting it out "nom yai. nom yai nom yai" and the look of concern on the poor girl's face intensified. I fumbled around looking for the correct pronunciation "nom... men... nim..." then finally something close enough to the word "nam" that she realized what I was asking for. A look of relief came to the faces of both parties in the conversation, but more so on her side - and understandably... for I later found out that what I'd actually been doing whist persistently trying to request my water was pretty much this:

"Big tits please. Big tits.... big tits.... big tits!"

4. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    fish sticks in german is "Fischstäbchen"
    so as a joke i always say "fish station"

hey check this ultra rare edition "fish-station omega 3" it has backwards compatibility
    [​IMG]

Last edited by migles, Jul 8, 2015
    Konno Ryo and CosmoCortney like this.
  5. ravihpa

ravihpa GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 11, 2007
    India
    You were asking for big tits in a Thai hotel and didn't get em? I am surprised they didn't send you a girl with "nom yai" to your room :P

Jk :P It really made me laugh. Thanx a lot for that :D

6. iamKHEEMchi

iamKHEEMchi Flynn Rider's Ichiban

Jun 21, 2014
    Barto Club
    I'm sort of a gullible person when I was in high school so whenever my friends told me to say this, I always comply to do it. One time, my friend told me to say " watashi wa Chin chin wo tabemasu" to our exchange student which is a japanese. Although I watch animes, i never considered watching hentais so pretty much don't know any words related to it. When I told it to our exhange student, his eyes were so wide and he burst out laughing. Later on he said that it means i'm eating a c*ck. That's not really funny at all. *sigh* I cried a lot and said sorry so many times to that guy. I was quite happy that he understands my pain of not knowing any japanese language and being gullible. I stopped my habit of being gullible and we became friends.

7. VinsCool

VinsCool Delusional

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    End of Time
    Speaking english with some french words here and there when I suddenly forget the equivalent lol :P

iamKHEEMchi likes this.
  8. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Aside from my flawless attempts to say Finnish words that my Finnish friend always laughs at (I say it perfectly, dammit), I usually just say french words wrong on purpose. I got into the habit of it in grade 6 to piss off my pompous french ass teacher whenever we had mandatory french class.

Like grapefruit I always say (in very plain english) "pamplemoose". It's spelled "pamplemousse" but pronounced like "pomp le moose" with a bit of french accent thrown in for good measure.
    I can't remember any other words off the top of my head but I had quite a few of them.

So not really saying anything 'wrong' in a foreign language, but eh. Close enough to make me remember that.

VinsCool likes this.
  9. vayanui8

vayanui8 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    United States
    Nothing notable that Ive said myself, but I tricked a good deal of people to say they were pregnant in Spanish back in 7th grade.

WiiCube_2013 and iamKHEEMchi like this.
  10. Par39

Par39 The Life Hacker

Aug 13, 2011
    Finland
    Squirrel is the most impossible word to pronounce, ever Q____Q Why would you do that English.

And sometimes trying to say something without knowing that that particular combination of words might mean something completely different than what I expect based on what the words mean separately. (I'm not sure if I can explain this well but hopefully someone gets it).

11. Nick3252

Nick3252 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 19, 2015
    Canada
    Someone in my class tried to say I went to my house, and got a snack, (Grade 4) but he said I bought a house, and got a snack. Not too bad, but gave me a tiny laugh.

VinsCool likes this.
  12. VinsCool

VinsCool Delusional

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    End of Time
    Try to say spoon in french: "cuillère", I dare you :P ;)

13. Nick3252

Nick3252 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 19, 2015
    Canada
    qu-ell-aire? lol, haven't spoke french in a while, it was only basic, like hello, let's play a game, the only exciting thing was we got to watch english movies, and that's basically it. nothing exciting

14. VinsCool

VinsCool Delusional

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    End of Time
    I actually never speak english. Written and spoken languages aren't exactly the same things lol

15. CosmoCortney

CosmoCortney The Hacker Furry

Apr 18, 2013
    Germany
    on the cool side of the pillow
    As I was in Finland my friend asked me what i'd like to eat. But I didn't really recall the correct word for French Fries. So I wanted to say "French potato sticks". Put even there I have failed and said "ranska peruna pipeli" what means French potatoe dicks lol
    At least she knew what I wanted to say by that and laughed :D

ravihpa, Nick3252 and VinsCool like this.
  16. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    From what I can remember, I haven't embarrassed myself saying stuff in a language I don't know, either that or I can't remember.

That's not hard, its just cu-lhér-re which is rather very similar to Portuguese, except in Portuguese the 'r' doesn't sound rough though in other times it does.

RodrigoDavy and VinsCool like this.
  17. VinsCool

VinsCool Delusional

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    End of Time
    In my end, being used to say "Cuillère", saying "Squirrel" is fairly easy for me :P

18. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    How about saying 'better'?

19. VinsCool

VinsCool Delusional

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    End of Time
    Better :P

I just did.

"Bèh-deur" :lol:

That's how I prononce this word.

WiiCube_2013 likes this.
  20. ravihpa

ravihpa GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 11, 2007