stupid noob quesstion -- I can't figure out what my WEP is!&#3

Discussion in 'NDS - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' started by regnad, Oct 19, 2009.

1. regnad
    OP

Member regnad Button Masher

Japan
    Argh! How do I find what my WEP is?

Please have pity on my noobiness!

2. IzzehO

Member IzzehO GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Do you actually have access to your network? Are you connected through a lan cable at the moment? What kind of router is it?

These are the questions we need answers to before we can help with anything...

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    While IzzehO is correct and we will need such info if we are going to help can I point to http://www.oxid.it/cain.html (your AV may flag it as the methods it uses are similar to some malware).
    That should enable you to snatch the key from a windows password vault/similar.

Option 2 is check the router config: I doubt it will show it but you can just as easily change it.

Option 2.5 is try the default keys as few people change them and if they are not emblazoned on the side of the router they are frequently predictable.

Option 3 is reset the router: usually hold a button on the outside for 15 seconds on power up or something like that.

Option 4 is crack the password; plain WEP can be done in seconds but the more modern attacks that work more quickly can require specific methods which means it will probably not work with your hardware (not to mention we will probably have to guide you through a basic linux disc (all GUI based mind) which I am not up for right now).

4. regnad
    OP

Japan
    Yes, I have access to it. My wife set it up, though, because it's a Japanese router, and her Japanese is much better than mine (since she's Japanese and I'm not). It was set up quite some time ago and she doesn't know what the WEP is or where to find it either.

As I said it's a Japanese router, which you may have never heard of: It's an IO Data AirPort.

5. regnad
    OP

Japan
    Okay, I got it!!

Thanks for the help!