Stupid glitchy games

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Blaze163, Jul 25, 2010.

Jul 25, 2010

Stupid glitchy games by Blaze163 at 3:24 PM (1,486 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. Blaze163
    OP

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    I'm sat watching my older brother and his 6 year old son attempt to find the last gold brick on Lego Harry Potter (PS3) and it's filling me with rage. There seems to be a glitch in the clock tower meaning the final brick will never appear. The gold arrow points to where it should show up, but nothing ever happens.

Anyone else experienced anything like this? I expect some glitches in gaming, every now and then one will slip the net. Provided it's nothing serious I generally let it slide. But I've seen some real howlers in my time. Including but by no means limited to...

- Killzone 2's legendary final boss glitch. Following a rather unnecessary update, my old man found that the final boss had suddenly become impossible. I was fortunate to have played through the game before the patch came into effect, but he was caught by it. We tried everything. We hit the final boss with every rocket on the map, every assault rifle round, every pistol round, and then just for good measure we spent a good 20 minutes knifing him. Nothing had any effect, for whatever reason the glitch made the final boss immortal, and fucked up the floor so if you stood on the wrong tile you fell through to your doom. The worst part is that having played through the pre-update version myself, I can tell you for a fact that there was nothing wrong with it originally, and the boss was by no means immortal. Extremely irritating to come so far and lose to a glitch.

- Lego Harry Potter as outlined above is driving me fuckin' crackers 'cause I have to listen to them yelling and my nephew acting like a 'tard until it's done. I just want it to be over so they shut up and play something else.

- My little brother went against my advice and bought Blacksite for his 360, only to find that ignoring my advice is a dumb thing to do when a glitch made it impossible to clear the tutorial level as the AI characters would follow an order to open a door by repeatedly trying to insert their wedding tackle into the keyhole, fusing with the door for all eternity and making progress of any kind completely impossible. Even resetting made no difference. That's as far as he ever got.

- My copy of Ninety Nine Nights (N3) is glitched on the final level. If the boss starts using his unavoidable black hole attack, he never stops. Ever. You can hit him as much you like, wait as long as you like, makes no difference. Means I've never beaten the game 'cause that black hole will always eventually kill me.

- Sonic 2006 was one of the glitchiest catastrophes I've ever seen, second only to Big Rigs Racing, I reckon. I finished it because my old man bought it with the 360 and got Sonic for me instead of something for him, so he guilt tripped me into playing it. I hope never to repeat such a mortifying experience. It made me want to go into the garden and incinerate everything with a flamethrower to make absolutely sure any hedgehogs out there were well and truly dead. I'm not even gonna mention any specific glitches, I'd be here all day.

- I was playing Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance and happened across a hilarious glitch. I used the Ice Fist special move and the game glitched out, the ice fist got stuck in the boss I was fighting and kept causing damage until it died while I walked away and let the glitch do the work. I literally beat the boss with my first move because the ice fist caused it to stand there and just take the punishment.

- True Crime New York on PS2 has quite a few hilarious glitches. Such as when I frisked a hooker, found nothing, she flipped me off so I punched her in the face. Something went wrong because I momentarily channeled the spirit of Captain Falcon and she went flying down the street, passing straight through several buildings and a bus before finally coming to rest on the freeway, where she was immediately run over by a sports car.

- Another TCNY glitch happened when I wandered into a laundromat just to see what was in there, if I could buy new clothes or something. Again, something went badly wrong because all of a sudden a fat guy at the back of the room whips out a flamethrower, torches the place to the ground, the washing machines all explode as I dive out of the door, then he follows me into the street and turns invisible while he tries to flame me to death. I only managed to kill him by liberally spraying bullets around with an assault rifle.

Anyone else seen any truly disasterous or particularly hilarious glitches?

2. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    Sucks when consoles get buggy games and they can't always be patched (last gen had no XBL marketplace with updates). Really sucks when PC games have bugs and devs don't do anything about it.

3. Blood Fetish

Member Blood Fetish Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

United States
    Fable 2 is the glitchiest game I have ever played.

4. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom
    Just found another funny one. Playing Shadow the Hedgehog on my 'cube and Shadow started moonwalking for some reason. The animation for him slowly walking forward was playing but he was moving backwards.

Incidentally, if anyone has either of the Sonic Adventure games for the 'cube, go to the Chao Garden (any will do) as Sonic and ever so gently apply the bare minimum of pressure on the analogue stick. Sonic will lift his leg but not actually step, but he'll slowly glide across the garden.

5. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Captain Falconing a whore all the way to the freeway, that's no glitch, that's entertainment. [​IMG]

6. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    Jailbreak on the C64. One of the first conversions for the 8-bit computers that Konami handled themselves rather than outsourcing to someone like Ocean. Jailbreak had the worst collision detection ever, along with really bad sampled sound and glitchy graphics. The collision detection made it nigh on impossible as bullets that were halfway across the screen could kill you.

7. johncenafan427

Member johncenafan427 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    super mario 64 is definitely a glitched up game!

with the stair glitch to go through doors and walls!

hells yeah!

8. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    That is no glitch, that's an easter egg. I do too remember Sonic 360...Oh that inferno stage bullshit!! 2 hours...2 whole hours hitting those orbs! SEGA made a fanfic out of that game.

9. gameboy13

Member gameboy13 Orange and fluffy since 1995.

United States
    Toontown Online was a pretty glitched up game. I can still remember how to get outside of the boundaries and into "the gray area."

10. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    Hah, so none of you has played Lego Star Wars on the DS? It's the most glitched out, fully released game i've ever played. Hell, i purchased that shit when it first came out.

I can't begin to tell you the pains that are involved with that game (was re-released later on, but i lost interest), however, i do know that there is an impossible character to unlock at the end (i think it's ghost Anakin) unless you happen to catch it at JUST the right point ONLY on the first play of the level (if try to replay on either mode, it's impossible). So, if you've suffered through the rest of the game (with computer characters just constantly falling off platforms, wasting the points you tried to collect, not to mention completely stopping your ability to move ahead in that level... usually required a quit, restart... of the whole game, OR the number of full blown lockups the game would create), you could only achieve the "perfect 99%" completion of the game.

What a fucking travesty of a $30 purchase.

Yay flash-cards! [​IMG]

11. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Unfortunately Fallout 3 is full of glitches and bugs. I mean it's not destroyed by them but it's unfortunate that such an incredible game is hampered by things like this. And this goes for all platforms (Xbox 360, PS3, and PC).

Otherwise I usually avoid glitchy games.

12. iFish

Member iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Canada
    On the PS3 and PC. game can be patched though [​IMG]

13. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    But this game was released quite a while ago and if there were gonna be any patches for the glitches, they would've already sent out.

14. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Super Mario Sunshine... That was one glitchy game. It was mostly just physics glitches, though.

15. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    When I was doing game reviews for GCA Advanced some years ago I did their GBA stuff and one game I had was a complete anger inducing pisser -- Teen Titans. The game itself along the ride went fine, but the final boss was nothing but bugs. I got worked up on that doing the boss for a good hour and gave up. It would (can't remember specifics) have so many one way collision errors in that you would fly through it, but it could pummel you, or when you made contact it wouldn't register the hit, but he would take it out on you regardless. I know it wasn't misses as I looked into it, plus some of the times the same blow, same spot, same area on screen would work. I wrote it up and ripped the game on the score for being damn near essentially uncompletable unless you got lucky.

Reminds me much of the shitty Chaos final form battle on any version of Sonic Adventure 1 as you could often ride up along the dude to crack him up top and you'd fly right on through and then as you're inside but touching the boss, get smacked hard for it. That entire ending like Teen Titans was a trial of sheer will and patience and not due to challenge, due to shitty testers that should be fired, as well as others in the company for green flagging that crap. Sadly sequels of the line of that Sonic game got far worse in ever regard to holes in walls, holes in bosses, broken collision detect around the holes or others entirely, falling into floors, etc.

Still my personal favorite of a love to hate and hate to love is Indiana Jones on N64. The game due solely to Lucas was released as a completed in structure, but beta in quality release. Given you run it a good 30min, 60 tops...it will start to drag and then crash often with rainbow vomit on screen causing you to have to fully switch the N64 off as reset won't work. The interior stage that ends with a cable car ride over a chasm, you have to move this crate like 3 crate lengths to use it, but if you solely PUSH the crate, half way there 100% crash (hard restart needed) so you have to push to a point, pull, and then go back to push to just finish it so you don't pull yourself off the cliff. It's still sadly one of the best and most amazing a/v and the rest accomplishments on the system hands down, but if you don't save every 30min, you get what you got coming to you sadly. I met the guy who was screwed into finishing it, he was this producer but was a coder, he had to beta it the best he could on a time frame while also having to tack all the stages, audio, and visuals together as best he could on his own. The game was to have a full team on it, and did, but George Douchass wanted his lame Star Wars Ep1 Naboo game out for Christmas at the same time in 2000, removed his entire team but him to finish it, and just to be safe as to not hurt its sales made Indy a 10000 copy run of which 3K were sold to people and the others rent only at Blockbuster (I was one of the few that bought it.)

How's that for bad. The bug list is far worse from falling through or around weird objects, getting stuck on invisible rocks(collision notches) near walls, other areas of crashing, audio that could rarely buzz out, usually tied to the big rainbow vomit crash I mentioned, and various other shit. It mattered not if you had the added 4MB chip or not, still died as much, but at least it was then 640x480 and silky smooth (it's actually better than the PC version amazingly enough right down tot he fixed camera and stolen Ocarina of Time button config and lockon.)

16. Crimsonclaw111

Member Crimsonclaw111 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Has anybody played Sonic the Hedgehog on the GBA? The game is nearly unplayable.

And let's not forget the Twilight Princess glitch that forced you to start over on the Wii...

17. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom
    Ah yes, the infamous Sonic GBA remake. I've played pretty much every version of the original Sonic since it's one of my faves but that...oh man. First Sonic 2006 destroyed my faith in 3D Sonic then this damn near destroyed my faith in the one thing he was good at. Fortunately the other Sonic Advance games were arguably some of the best 2D Sonic games, and the DS ones weren't bad either. But I think it's time for Sonic to be put to sleep. Even if Sonic Colours turns out to be utterly fantastic. Which I doubt. Call it his victory lap and then let him die so we can remember the good times without any more shite colouring those treasured childhood memories.

Never encountered any glitches on Twilight Princess Wii, but then I never actually finished it. My Wiimote broke halfway through the sky dungeon and by the time I got it repaired I'd pretty much lost interest in the Wii, not to mention I'd forgotten most of the story. Couldn't be bothered to restart so to this day I've not seen the ending.

18. supersonic5000

Member supersonic5000 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    There's another glitch in Sonic Adventure 2:Battle in the regular chao garden.
    If you stand at the left end of the rock and use the homing attack over and over, you'll fly out of the map.
    You can just float around outside of the map. While pointless it's entertaining for a bit. [​IMG]

19. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom
    Seen that one. I heard a rumour that you can throw your Chao out of game boundaries and they never come back, but I spent ages training up mine so I never tried it.

Anyone ever actually played Big Rigs Racing? Generally accepted as being the glitchiest game ever, where the collision detection is so bad you drive straight through a building without consequence. If you've never heard of it and don't want your eyes violated, look away now...

When it comes to the point where you're making my WarioWare DIY creations look like masterpieces, you REALLY fucked up.