Stupid font question

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Donryu, Jul 5, 2008.

Jul 5, 2008

Stupid font question by Donryu at 11:08 PM (1,048 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. Donryu
    OP

Newcomer Donryu Advanced Member

Canada
    I'm a total newb at this, but I wanted to try out text editing a rom to challenge my programming skills. The game I'm using is the Higurashi DS game, I figured since it's a text game there would be a lot of text parts to test myself with. I know I should probably start with something easier, but I didn't feel like downloading any games I wouldn't play.

I've already successfully inserted text and figured out how the pointers work. Something that's been bothering me though is that the game only fits 8 characters per line, so I want to shrink the text.

I've looked all over the board, but I can't find the answer. Whenever I find a topic asking a similar question, I just get pointed to the programs (mostly tile editors, I can't understand anything in CrystalTile2). I've never done anything with fonts before, so I have no idea what I'm doing.

Here's what I've done so far: I found the main font file (this took a long time because there are 4 files with "font" in the filename), it's a bin file (accompanied by a plb file, which I have no idea what is for). I opened it in CrystalTile2 and all the hex is in 0, 1, and 2s and when I look in the tile viewer all I see are a bunch of dots. Eventually, I gave up on CrystalTile2 and found another tile editor called TilEd. This time, I actually got some pictures of kanji in gba 4bit mode. I just want to shrink them down, but I can't find that feature in TilEd. This is where I am now.

I'm not doing any serious project with Higurashi, I just wanted to see how you guys do your thing, but now this font problem is really frustrating me. If someone who has dealt with something similar can give me some advice, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
  3. Donryu
    OP

Newcomer Donryu Advanced Member

Canada
    I'm pretty sure it's not NFTR, I don't know what format it's in. There's not even any header in the code.

I've also found two more files that produce letters when I put it in TilEd. The most organized one doesn't even have font in the filename, but all the letters are lined up much more neater, so I'm inclined to believe this is the one I should be working on. It has different code than the one I was working with before, but just like that one, it's in a bin file with a plb file.

I'm starting to believe the bin file is entirely character tiles and the plb file might be a pointer file or something. The plb file is only two lines of hex. I'm gonna try messing around with it.

Edit: Okay, I tried filling the plb file with 0 values. This caused the text to not appear, but the game still ran and the blinking arrow indicating the end of text still appeared at the same spot. So I've learned that I'm working on the right file now and that the plb file has nothing to do with font width. Then I fiddled around with the bin file, added random values to the beginning, opened it in TilEd and there were some dots in the corner. So I think it is a graphic file. Does this mean I can't change the font size?