Stupid color issue with black, grey and purple (windows 10?)

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Taleweaver, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Taleweaver
    OP

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Okay...this took me near an hour of googling, but I can't seem to find it. If anyone knows WTF this is...can you let me know?

It's about the following. When I see a black screen for whatever reason, then...well, just look for yourself. I basically opened paint and painted everything black. For some reason, it somehow renders the desktop background in it as well (guess which stock one I'm using ;) ).

At first, I thought there was some very slight transparency thing going on in windows 10, but after playing around with filling colors in paint I'm not so sure anymore. The thing is: it only highlights what's underneath it on black, dark grey and (strangely enough) purple. Dark or high contrast background images on any other color make no difference.
    the problem certainly started since I upgraded to 10 (from 8.1), but I have no clue whether it's the OS, my video card or even my actual monitor.

Anyone here have an idea?

Attached Files:

2. _v3

_v3 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 12, 2013
    Croatia
    Well, you can rule out the monitor.
    Could be your graphics card (although highly unlikely), I highly doubt it the OS is causing this (even though it's a buggy mess).

Last edited by _v3, Nov 12, 2015
  3. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    Your posted screenshot looks fine to me.

I'll tell you what it is: you are suffering from display ghosting. Look it up. My Chromebook Pixel has the same problem, and it's really, really bad. Bugs the shit out of me, but it's the display itself. Now you've noticed it once, you'll see it forever.

There is no way to fix this short of getting a new, better quality panel.

Last edited by PityOnU, Nov 13, 2015
  4. Taleweaver
    OP

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Hmm...did test a few extra tests. Unfortunately no answer yet:

-the background isn't an echo of what was. If I start a video, then open paint over it and paint everything black, I can (vaguely) see the video playing through it.
    -I have a sort-of dual screen: I mirror my PC screen to the television screen directly next to it. The television doesn't have nearly as much of this ghosting effect.
    -resetting the monitor settings (or toying around with them) has yielded no answers yet. Neither has changing resolutions or display settings.
    (EDIT)-tried a boot CD with linux mint 17.2. The issue certainly doesn't appear there, so that rules out a hardware error.

I'll keep looking on that 'display ghosting' thing. Thanks, by the way. :-)

Last edited by Taleweaver, Nov 15, 2015
  5. Taleweaver
    OP

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    A bit of an update: it's gone now. Unfortunately, I can't exactly pinpoint what it was. Most likely the usual windows and driver updates, as that was the only thing I don't check for improvements all the time.