Studio announces Glover 2, but doesn't have rights to make the game

Glover_Nintendo_64_cover_art,jpg.jpg

Glover was an odd game from the PlayStation and Nintendo 64 era that had you controlling a hand that was trying to guide a ball to a goal, requiring you to change the ball to different weights in order to get past puzzles. It was considered a financial failure, and publisher Hasbro ended development of the sequel before it could be released. It went on to become a cult classic, loved by a handful of people that had played the game in their childhood. So when the German studio Golden Mushroom announced a Glover 2 nearly 20 years after the first game, it baffled many. They even took to Reddit, claiming that the game was indeed real, and not a joke. Things got even more confusing when another studio, Piko Interactive joined the fray, saying that they owned the full rights to the Glover series, and were contacting Golden Mushroom Studios about their claim on the IP. Golden Mushroom fired back, saying that they owned and paid to have the trademark of "Glover" transferred to their company, after "extensive research" from their legal team.

And thus things made a lot more sense. While you can have a trademark for a name, that's a different matter entirely as compared to having the copyright. Golden Mushroom can indeed make a game called Glover, but they cannot actually use any IP from the Glover game, as Piko owns the copyright. When the two companies tried to work out a deal, Golden Mushroom backed down, and said they'd be fine with creating a spiritual successor to Glover, instead of an actual sequel.

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
This is probably the most ridiculous thing I've seen this week.
A.) A studio wants to remake some random N64 game
B.) They announce it via Reddit
C.) They pay a legal team a ton and yet don't know the difference of trademark and copyright
D.) Why Glover???
E.) Tfw you can't even get the rights to Glover

x65943

hunger games round 29 big booba winner
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had never heard of this game before. What a strange circumstance.

I hope they didn't pay too much for that trademark. I wonder if they'll get sued if they make the protagonist a glove.

Maybe they could call this one Socker and include a football playing sock.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Derp. Now that's silly.

I never got the chance to try Glover, but I thought it looked neat back when it came out.
I always got a game for the summer break when I was a kid, (since my birthday is just days away from Christmas), so me and my mom went to see my grandpa, and I always browsed the games stores there to find "the game".

I never knew what to get before I arrived, so I looked around and looked at the boxes. So 1998 I got Mystical Ninja (love that game to this day! I even bought the Japanese DS game and am determined to translate it one day!)
2000 I got Perfect Dark (:wub:)
But in 1999 then, when Glover was available? And many other great games? It was difficult to choose. Mystical Ninja 2? No...
I went for... Chameleon Twist.

It's the only game I bought new, that I ever traded in. I beat it 100% so freaking fast it wasn't even funny.

I've bought second hand copies of snes games, played them, and then traded them for other snes games (sometimes adding a few bucks), but never with any new game I bought myself nor anything I got as a gift.

Anyway, that's the reason I never got to play Glover. I chose Chameleon Twist instead. *shudder*

Reactions: x65943 and Chary

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night