• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Students Asked To Leave Multicultural Room For 'Police Lives Matter' Sticker

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
So the good japanese, who in their own right can (and tend to) be ultra nationalistic, are just such a swell population of people that learned to suppress their emotions in everyday public live - because of race -- not because of a lack of space, and necessity, but because of genes.
Culture, race/biology and history are linked. The lack of space on Japanese islands and the east coast of China made more cooperation indeed necessary for survival. Uncooperative individuals were probably more likely to be excluded from the gen pool. This affected genes. Cold winters in Europe and the plague of the 14th century probably also effected the genes of Europeans to a significant extend. If culture and race were not linked, you would not see the American culture change so drastically. The original European-Americans valued freedom (religions, gun ownership, speech) above most things. As demographics change, so do values. E.g. Chinese immigrants are less likely to value these things. You think if America became 30% Chinese you wouldn´t see a drastic cultural change?
Please - I think I interrupted you feeling superior for something you are born with. So glad, that you won that lottery and now are a normal human being.
You should be banned for creating strawmen. I do not feel superior, nor have I called any ethncity or race not normal. If anything, my own ethnicity is unusual. The assumption that life is comparable to a lottery ticket is silly or needs religious assumptions. I am the result of my parents. My parents do not come from China or Africa. So the chance of my being Chinese or African was 0.

@mods: I am sorry for double posting.

Reactions: D34DL1N3R
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They get so offended by someone peacefully showing support for our police, but I bet they expect a police officer to show up if they call 911 if they were ever in danger. I'm also certain they cheered on those morons who were burning cities and pretending it was for "racial injustice". What a screwed up world we live in, huh?

Deleted member 546149

OP
Trophies
XP
They get so offended by someone peacefully showing support for our police, but I bet they expect a police officer to show up if they call 911 if they were ever in danger. I'm also certain they cheered on those morons who were burning cities and pretending it was for "racial injustice". What a screwed up world we live in, huh?
The person in the video actually assaulted a police officer last year

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Police are literally killing people and often getting away with it, they don’t need more support and they deserve to be called out for their abuse. Even the best cop is likely to still have a shitty track record. Support shouldn’t come from hijacking another movement, it should come from making reform, more training, being held accountable, more monitoring, and so much more. Blind support is the reason why the police have become the problem

:hrth::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::grog::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::hrth:

Reactions: SyphenFreht

Zajumino

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Culture, race/biology and history are linked. The lack of space on Japanese islands and the east coast of China made more cooperation indeed necessary for survival. Uncooperative individuals were probably more likely to be excluded from the gen pool. This affected genes. Cold winters in Europe and the plague of the 14th century probably also effected the genes of Europeans to a significant extend. If culture and race were not linked, you would not see the American culture change so drastically. The original European-Americans valued freedom (religions, gun ownership, speech) above most things. As demographics change, so do values. E.g. Chinese immigrants are less likely to value these things. You think if America became 30% Chinese you wouldn´t see a drastic cultural change?
You are doing it again.

Differences in human behavior are almost entirely the product of environmental factors rather than genetics. This is well established. Generally speaking, people behave in certain ways because they are socialized to do so.

If what you are saying is true, then Ideocracy would be reality.

Reactions: Dakitten

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
You are doing it again.

Differences in human behavior are almost entirely the product of environmental factors rather than genetics. This is well established. Generally speaking, people behave in certain ways because they are socialized to do so.

It is not well established at all. Genes play a more important role. Twin studies have shown it.
Furthermore, the environmental factors are often not even environmental but genetic. The parents are made up of genes, so it makes no sense to count parental care as "environment".

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
It is not well established at all. Genes play a more important role. Twin studies have shown it.
Are you mad?

Links.

Racist uncle, quit stiring up people with BS.

For reference, I showed that "person" the macro level of "violent crimes per country", where the largest factors of difference are working society, or not - and "civil war in the past ten years, yes/no" -- with a fluctuation range of several hundred percent in the same contintents.

And cherryboy is leading young people in here to go for the micro -- no, no - twin studies will prove agression potental, one twin at a time.

This is becoming desperate.

I'd say racists, find another playground or start to sh't the heck up.

https://www.apa.org/monitor/apr04/second

https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...namic-genome/99A7F08F3A5D6E4FE4EA91CBF23D4E68

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3696520/

The freaking bulls*t in here...

Last edited by notimp,

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
For reference, I showed that "person" the macro level of "violent crimes per country", where the largest factors of difference are working society [...]
Answer this simple question: Is it easier or harder to form a working society with a low IQ population (vs a high IQ population)? The not-working society of North Korea is developing nuclear weapons after being completely annihilated nearly 70 years ago. The not-working society of Haiti has a tradition of eating mud cakes, 200 years after their revolution.. Look it up. Your macro comparison showed a clear tendency of lower crime rates in East Asian countries and in Western countries (i.e. countries of European origin). A better comparison - as I stated - are data sets which compare population groups within a country. Show me ONE country in which ordinary Subsaharan Africans do better in society (less crimes, more success) than ordinary East Asians (i.e. people who have lived in a country for generations). If I am wrong, you should be able to find at least the exception to the rule.

By the way, you should read the content of links before posting them. Don´t embarrass yourself, dear nephew.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Answer this simple question: Is it easier or harder to form a working society with a low IQ population (vs a high IQ population)? The not-working society of North Korea is developing nuclear weapons after being completely annihilated nearly 70 years ago. The not-working society of Haiti has a tradition of eating mud cakes, 200 years after their revolution.. Look it up. Your macro comparison showed a clear tendency of lower crime rates in East Asian countries and in Western countries (i.e. countries of European origin). A better comparison - as I stated - are data sets which compare population groups within a country. Show me ONE country in which ordinary Subsaharan Africans do better in society (less crimes, more success) than ordinary East Asians (i.e. people who have lived in a country for generations). If I am wrong, you should be able to find at least the exception to the rule.

By the way, you should read the content of links before posting them. Don´t embarrass yourself, dear nephew.
Doesnt matter.

Capacity isnt the only metric to optimize for.

You need good stories.

Cant have them with "you are born this way". No out. No choice.

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reminder that black people are 13% of the USA population, yet they commit over half of all murders. Unarmed black people are killed per capita at a lower number than unarmed white people.

#PoliceLivesMatter.

Dakitten

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reminder that black people are 13% of the USA population, yet they commit over half of all murders. Unarmed black people are killed per capita at a lower number than unarmed white people.

#PoliceLivesMatter.
When did gbatemp become a dump posting site for the neo nazi movement? I find it all kinds of funny that Critical Race Theory is sorely lacking with a lot of these posts~

Fun Fact! CRT is looking at the factors that cause the disparity, and seeing that it isn't genetics but environmental factors over a period of time that have caused the issue. Sorry white/east asian supremacists, you aren't supermen.

Reactions: SyphenFreht and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

#PoliceLivesMatter.
"More white people are killed by police than black people, which is why I, a white person, am required to be a bootlicker."

16517826.jpg

SyphenFreht

As above, so below
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Xzi

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Sorry white/east asian supremacists, you aren't supermen.
I am neither, nor a Neo Nazi. Attack the argument: Show me one country where the pattern of crime and societal success is reversed. It is not defeatism as notimp suggests. Imagine you were an African American today. Which narrative would be more positive for your development?
1) You live in a white supremacist country. You can´t make it because of Whitey and their goons, the police
2) You are statistically less likely to succeed in school
If I was African American, (1) would cause me to hate my country, commit crimes and feel justified when I target white people. (2) would encourage me to prove the statistic wrong or persue other things. These other things could be crime, but it is the job of the state to discourage it. America is now doing the opposite by blaming the police and "defunding" them. Couple that with (1) and you have a recipe for disaster, as we can see in Minneapolis right now: police shortage and crime going up significantly. Good job, you guys.

Zajumino

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Furthermore, the environmental factors are often not even environmental but genetic. The parents are made up of genes, so it makes no sense to count parental care as "environment".
First, let's get our definitions straight. When I say genes, I mean DNA. The environment is basically everything else, or everything that you would interact with. Also, there is a somewhat subtle difference between race and biology that you may not be aware of: biology depends on genetics or physical traits, while race is an identity or category assigned by society.

What I said before was not correct in all contexts. In the context of your previous statement, however, it did apply, since values and culture are things that are socially inherited. For example, let's take your point about Chinese immigrants. American values would change, not due to changes in the population's genes, but because of social interactions between immigrants and the original population. Likewise, the culture of the immigrants would change due to these interactions.

Generally speaking, I would be wrong (to a varying extent). The influence of genetic and environmental factors can vary based on the type of behavior. What I said was too deterministic to be true outside of that particular context.

For better information, read these, as opposed to listening to me spew random crap

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioural_genetics

https://www.uscourts.gov/sites/default/files/64_2_4_0.pdf

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
First, let's get our definitions straight. When I say genes, I mean DNA. The environment is basically everything else, or everything that you would interact with.
I know how studies usually define environment. I just want to point out it is often genes we are talking about. Unless you are willing to steal African-American children away from their mothers, they will depend on the genes of their parents (e.g. whether the father is absent, which is more likely in more matriarchal societies, which are more common in Africa and South America; though one case exists in China as well). Even the fact that African-American skin often does not get enough sunshine to produce sufficient levels of vitamin D in Chicago is, in the end, a genetic question.

Also, there is a somewhat subtle difference between race and biology that you may not be aware of: biology depends on genetics or physical traits, while race is an identity or category assigned by society.
I am aware. Maybe you are not aware that our categorizing does not negate the reality of it. Whether we define orange as red or yellow does not change the reality of orange. There can never be a perfect description of race (nor of what a chair, child or chin is), but as long as it is useful to describe reality, it will be in use. We should strive to be more exact. I don´t like the terms "Black" and "White". "Asian" is also too broad and means different things to different people. It is better to speak of Central Asians, South Asians, South-East Asians, (North)East Asians etc.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I’d end this chapter of the discussion while everyone’s ahead. Being black doesn’t make you a criminal, but growing up in a culture that glorifies criminal activity and suffering from socio-economic issues sure can. While it is true that behaviour is a mix of nature and nurture, biological determinism is not a solid argument. There’s a lot to be said about IQ being a heritable characteristic and an excellent (or rather, best) predictor of life success, but comparing IQ’s in Sub-Saharan Africa where large swathes of the population are malnourished (which heavily affects mental development, especially over long stretches of time) to IQ’s in developed countries is inherently unfair. If you wanted to make a fair comparison, you’d be comparing crime rates in majority black neighbourhoods in the 1960’s versus now, or something along those lines. With that being said, the entire discussion is off-topic and has nothing to do with the sticker debacle. The problem you’re all discussing is multifaceted and complex. I doubt there’s one person in this entire thread who could make a valuable contribution, and I don’t think it belongs here to begin with - not in this thread and not on this site. If anyone has any *brief* closing statement before we move on, y’all get one chance.
You’re posting in Poltemp, we only follow Idiocracy here.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Also - lets do a posting to risk perception as well.

As the US have a way of making their people look like suggestible idiots, here is the "Roll of Heroes 2020":

mLbOP6W.png

src: https://www.odmp.org/search/year/2020

i.e. officers killed on duty.

Total number of officers in the US is about 700.000. And lets say 70 of those deaths are homicide related 45+13 (All Gunfire, and all vehicular assault), lets round that up to 70.

That puts the risk to 700.000:70, or 10 per 100.000 to be killed on duty by someone else, per year.

Lets focus on black people, like the posters in here looove to do. Lets apply the general homicide rate in the US population ( https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/ ) to police officers killed on duty - and lets attribute half (!) of all killings by "unknown race" to black people as well, and we'll end up at 33% of all officers killed "killed by someone kinda black".

Apply that to the general risk, and we end up at 3 per 100.000.

So lets compare:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_causes_of_death_by_rate

Police officers are three times more likely to be killed by aids (world wide statistics, so - ok, not the best comparative), three times more likely to be killed by dounuts (high blood pressure) and even a little more likely to be killed by rheumatic heart decease (as someone in the general population), than being killed by a black guy. And here we are extremely tough on black people, because we are assuming a bunch of (known unknown) factors to be in play to the detriment of black people in our calculation.

So if you see a police officer in the US, and want to save his/her life - how about slamming that donut out of his/her hand and then running away?

Or even better, more flipping training on the force - not to "pfeel like a proper US Sherriff" - because in Germany the chance of being killed by assault as a police officer is

1,5 per 100.000 in total, compared to the US rate of 10 per 100.000 - so lets say, your society has room to improve.
(And thats a high figure for germany, because I extrapolated the police killing rate of Berlin (17 police officers killed on duty, in Berlin, since the end of WW2 (src: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gewalt_gegen_Polizisten )) to be that of overall germany, to get to that number.)

Also - Germany has half the number of police officers as the US, despite being four times smaller (population wise) -- which means again, the US effing sucks at social services and could do with about twice as many cops, if they would want to call themselves a "civilized society", and not compensate that with "gun power", the trusty friend of every police officer.

edit: There is a thought error somewhere in here in terms of accumulated risk, depending on general fluctuation rate in the police force. Meaning, 10 officers per 100.000 are killed in the US every year (by someone else), while the risk of dying from rheumatic heart decease is 3.7 (per 100.000) and of high blood pressure is 12.3 (per 100.000) overall. So I didnt calculate "accumulated risk" (cumulative incidence) over active duty years. Not sure how that pans out (how many years in active, active duty for the individual...).

https://sphweb.bumc.bu.edu/otlt/mph-modules/ep/ep713_diseasefrequency/ep713_diseasefrequency4.html
-

edit2: Oh, and logging workers lives matter tooO! And Taxi driver lives!
93gBudl.png

src: https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-chance-of-being-killed-as-a-police-officer

Does someone have the white supremacist facebook groups handy for one of those groups, by any chance?

Any T-shirts I could wear in the multicultural room for them? Maybe on etsy...

Last edited by notimp,

Zajumino

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know how studies usually define environment. I just want to point out it is often genes we are talking about. Unless you are willing to steal African-American children away from their mothers, they will depend on the genes of their parents (e.g. whether the father is absent, which is more likely in more matriarchal societies, which are more common in Africa and South America; though one case exists in China as well). Even the fact that African-American skin often does not get enough sunshine to produce sufficient levels of vitamin D in Chicago is, in the end, a genetic question.
I think one reason 'the environment' is typically defined the way it is would be that it can be changed. In contrast, after someone is born, their genes stay the same. With regards to parents, they usually have similar genes, but since they are also affected by the environment, it would be difficult to determine what comes from where.

There is an idea out there called 'social reproduction' that I think fits what you are trying to say. I actually wrote a paper on it for a sociology class.

If anyone has any *brief* closing statement before we move on, y’all get one chance.
I like stickers, and I am glad to live in a country that protects my right to stick them on stuff.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: