Student Protest, man pulled from wheelchair by police

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by redsmas, Dec 14, 2010.

1. redsmas
    OP

Member redsmas GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Now almost everybody in the UK will know about the student protests and some of the police's violence but one incident in particular has got me really riled up. I just wanted to know your opinions on this incident.

2. Paarish

Member Paarish Connor's Nublet

United Kingdom
    Code:
    [youtube]tXNJ3MZ-AUo[/youtube]

3. redsmas
    OP

Member redsmas GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Thanks I wasn't sure how to use the youtube thing properly

4. DryYoshi

Member DryYoshi Love child of Dry Bones and Yoshi

Netherlands
    My opinion:
    He was only part of a protest, and didn't really do serious things (I suppose), so it's pretty f*cked up that the police did that to a disabled guy.
    Also on the video, in the bottom, I saw something like "Swedish Police is trying to establish whether terrorist who detonated 2 devices in Stockholm had help".

5. Team_Subspace

Member Team_Subspace Citizen Marsalevsky

United States
    this just shows how corrupt our world and more importantly, our police officers, who are supposed to PROTECT and NOT HARM us. and even IF he did pose a threat (which probably wouldnt even be POSSIBLE) that gives them NO reason to pull a man out of his wheelchair!

6. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    Reminds me of that time a cop in Cali hip checked a drunk war vet.

7. Dangy

Member Dangy Twisting Your Mind & Smashing Your Dreams

United States
    Don't pull me, bro.

At first I was like
    [​IMG]

Then I was like
    [​IMG]

8. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    It's really sad why the police would go after a vulnerable target like that, when the man really has no ability to cause any physical harm to anyone. The man's disabled, why would you even bother pull him out of his wheelchair when he isn't capable of moving on his own in the first place? Time would've been better spent going after a person actually capable of causing damage to property and/or other people.

9. injected11

Member injected11 Crescent Fresh™

United States
    Not just pulling him out of his chair, but also dragging him across the pavement, TWICE?! Simply disgusting. There is no excuse for this.

10. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    BUT HE WAS BEING ROLLED TOWARDS US AT A SLOW PACE

WE WERE IN IMMINENT DANGER

11. Wombo Combo

Member Wombo Combo That Ain't Falco

United States
    Although it was wrong seems like all he is interested in now is getting the most money he can buy suing. Reminds me of the good ol' US of A.

12. Vigilante

Member Vigilante TempLurker

Philippines
    BRUTALITY ALERT [​IMG]
    danm you police

13. pocchama1996

Member pocchama1996 GBAtemp Regular

United States
  14. jarejare3

Member jarejare3 PROFILE CHANGE!

Malaysia
    Everyone's got their own agenda. This could be a propaganda that the students use to get support. I've seen a lot, we can't just make conclusion.
    Hell, we don't even know this is real. ( it could be edited)
    No offence.

15. gamefreak94

Member gamefreak94 GBAtemps (Un)Official Illogical Poster

United States
    I don't get it why you guys are getting mad? Aren't the police supposed to be cautious at all times? You guys act like they police knew who he was and so the decided to pick on him.
    Don't get me wrong I don't like the police as much as you guys do but you have to take in consideration that the police have to take precaution, and when words don't help they have to use action or no one would actually take them seriously.

16. CarbonX13

Taiwan
    And in all honesty, what precautionary terms would they need to take on a guy in a wheelchair, incapable of moving the damn thing without the assistance of another person? The most you'd need to do with a guy like that would be to simply push him away, no need to yank the guy off his wheelchair, twice even. It's the way the situation was dealt with that really irritates me. He's disabled for God's sake, no need to drag him out when he's already unable to do any self defense.

17. gamefreak94

Member gamefreak94 GBAtemps (Un)Official Illogical Poster

United States
    Again, its precaution. Anyone can pretend/disguise themselves to be disabled. Like again, its not like they knew him personally. And if you watch the video, he actually tries to dodge the question that he was wheeling himself to the police. I know he said it is physically impossible for him to use his wheel chair him self but his brother doing it for him, but notice the length difference between him and the crowd. I'm pretty sure his brother would have noticed after he went more than 2 feet. And he keeps repeating " Does it look like a disabled person in a wheel chair can cause a threat to a police officer with weapons" or something along those lines. Of course he won't tell the media stuff like, I said this and I did that. I think they need to have an interview with the police and the crowd to see what happened through another perspective.

18. Crass

Member Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

United States
    [​IMG]

19. CarbonX13

Taiwan
    You'd think that they'd realize he's actually disabled the first time they threw him off he wheelchair without him defending himself in any way. It's taking a step too far, not be cautious. Precautionary procedures would've been to approach those within the people that would've caused noticeable damage (a.k.a. the 99.9% of the protesters that weren't in a wheelchair). What are the actual odds of a guy faking being disabled in a protest? And judging from the interview, the dude's gave off the impression that he may have a mental illness of some sorts as well, so I'd assume that his communication skills may be sub-par to what people may expect as well.

20. jarejare3

Member jarejare3 PROFILE CHANGE!

Malaysia
    Like i said, the students most probaly edited this or the guy in the wheel chair could be hired to do it or something.
    Because with the things happening and all, they need support and this is how they get it ( PROPAGANDA).
    Maybe the police is retarded or something. But hey, don't just make conclusion from one perspective.