Hacking Stuck with 0 blocks, Wii system memory full, can't access anything

Tarv

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I booted up my Wii that hasn't been used for almost a year and I'm stuck with this error.

Your Wii system memory is full.
Use the data management screen to manage your save data.

I've read other posts and have tried deleting channels and save data, I removed at least 700 blocks of data and still not getting anywhere. Just shows 0 blocks free.

I can't access any other menu other than the data management screen. I can't boot any DVD's or software. I tried booting into maintenance mode, which works, but after the "You are in maintenance mode" screen it goes right back to the data management page.

I have some ideas to try but am unable to launch any tools to troubleshoot. I'm expecting my issue is what is described here, but I can't launch anything to fix it:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-system-memory-is-full.319206/page-2#post-4089247

This is a 1st gen Wii with a CycloWiz modchip installed, running software 4.3u. Has HBC installed and BootMii. Not sure if I loaded BootMii in boot2 or IOS, but would guess IOS (assume if loaded boot2 it would launch BootMii every time it was powered on).

Any ideas how I can get this machine to boot something?

Thanks

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do you have priiloader installed? If so you can have that go straight to the homebrew channel or the software known as Wii Mod, from there you can delete save and channel data. I had to do this because for some reason my Wii would freeze when I tried to delete save data from the settings, fortunately homebrew had me covered.

Tarv

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No, I don't believe I have Preloader or Priiloader installed. Doesn't ring a bell and I don't see it on my SD card.

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
This happened to my Wii when I installed a .wad file that was larger than my Wii had memory for. You need to reformat your Wii's system memory. I suggest you copy over any important files to an SD Card, because you'll lose all your saved data.

Don't listen to this guy, if you reformat your Wii System's Memory you can worsen the damage even further.

Leo Alves

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You can maybe have a Save or a channel corrupted and taking more space than the normal

try to look every save and channel you have in data management and see if it's showing the correct number of used blocks

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
No, I don't believe I have Preloader or Priiloader installed. Doesn't ring a bell and I don't see it on my SD card.

Turn on your Wii, then hold the RESET button for a few seconds, if a screen appears saying priiloader or preloader with a bunch of options then you do have prii/preloader.

Apostrophe

VIDEO GAMES
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't listen to this guy, if you reformat your Wii System's Memory you can worsen the damage even further.

I don't know where you're getting your information. I had a problem EXACTLY as OP described, and after reformatting, my Wii went from unusable to usable, and I haven't had a problem since over a year later. Obviously, OP should try to get to the homebrew channel through bootmii as boot2, but if he doesn't have it installed, he doesn't have many other options.

Tarv

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can maybe have a Save or a channel corrupted and taking more space than the normal try to look every save and channel you have in data management and see if it's showing the correct number of used blocks
I have now deleted or moved all channels and all save files from my Wii system memory (Except two which I can't move and I really want to keep if possible). There was nothing out of the ordinary when I was going thru them all.

Turn on your Wii, then hold the RESET button for a few seconds, if a screen appears saying priiloader or preloader with a bunch of options then you do have prii/preloader.
I tried this and it did not boot into the priiloader menu, safe to say I do not have it installed.

This happened to my Wii when I installed a .wad file that was larger than my Wii had memory for. You need to reformat your Wii's system memory. I suggest you copy over any important files to an SD Card, because you'll lose all your saved data.

I understand the risk if I go this route. Formatting the system memory may not remove the file or issue that is causing my loss of space. I will try this as my last resort.

Reactions: alivebacon

Tarv

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Geeze, go figure. I deleted one of the last two save files (that I didn't want to lose) and I'm in business!

I deleted my SSBB save, which was showing something like 128 blocks used, and I now have 56 blocks free. I'm able to open up HBC now, so I should be able to track down where all the space went.

:yaywii:

I'm installing Priiloader right now...

Tarv

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Got Priiloader installed, got BootMii installed to boot2. Good to go.

Can not find what is taking up all the space, here is what I found so far.

Looking at the nand.bin dump with "Wii NAND Extractor", the only things that stick out are:
/ticket/00000001/000000024.tik = 268436132B, I believe this is linked to IOS36
/title/00010002/48414645/content/0000000c.app = 537194752B, which I believe is the Weather app

88VnJqO.jpg

Running NandBinCheck shows throws an error when checking the file system (see below) and also throws multiple errors when checking ecc and hmac (see below).

nandbincheck nand.bin -fs
Code:
checking "/shared1/00000018.app" ...
NandBin::GetFile() -> (quint32)data.size() < fst.size :  28000 expected size: 57
eac
"One of the shared contents in this nand is missing"

nandbincheck nand.bin -spare
Code:
fat is out of range fffb
bad HMAC for "/ticket/00000001/00000024.tik"
hmac bad (1)
"cache.dat" is b00000 bytes ( 2c0 ) clusters

bad HMAC for "/title/00000001/00000002/data/cache.dat"
fat is out of range fffb
bad HMAC for "/title/00010002/48414645/content/0000000c.app"
hmac bad (1)
"00000018.app" is 57eac bytes ( 16 ) clusters

bad HMAC for "/shared1/00000018.app"
hmac bad (1)
"wc24recv.mbx" is 700000 bytes ( 1c0 ) clusters

bad HMAC for "/shared2/wc24/mbox/wc24recv.mbx"
5 files had bad HMAC data
checking HMAC for superclusters...
0 superClusters had bad HMAC data

And finally, using AnyTitle Deleter. I can see a few unknown items (image) under "Installed Channel Titles". I know the first one "LULZ" is the homebrew channel, not sure what HCLE and WILE are. Also the others 4 that are identified, the had been moved to my SD card so not sure why they are still showing up.

Thanks everyone for the input so far. I'm calling it a night for now :sleep:

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh. Seems like all there isn't anything too weird installed. I wouldn't trust the wii system formatter with anything, to be honest. I wonder how difficult it would be to just overwrite your current nand with a clean one.

Tarv

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This one is resolved, thanks for the help everyone.

In lieu of creating a new formatted nand.bin and starting over, I decided to try to reload all cIOS and System Updates. Following a softmod guide, I re-installed 22 cIOS mod wad's. I then installed 26 IOS system update wad's as well as v21 of the Shopping Channel.

When I went back into the Wii Data Management, it was now showing 2100+ free blocks on the Wii. This reload resolved my free space problem.

However, I did another NAND dump and CheckNandBin is still showing some errors, but that's a battle I'll leave for another day. I'll take the free space, the installation of BootMii on boot2 and also Priiloader as a win for today.

Thanks again.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
This one is resolved, thanks for the help everyone.

In lieu of creating a new formatted nand.bin and starting over, I decided to try to reload all cIOS and System Updates. Following a softmod guide, I re-installed 22 cIOS mod wad's. I then installed 26 IOS system update wad's as well as v21 of the Shopping Channel.

When I went back into the Wii Data Management, it was now showing 2100+ free blocks on the Wii. This reload resolved my free space problem.

However, I did another NAND dump and CheckNandBin is still showing some errors, but that's a battle I'll leave for another day. I'll take the free space, the installation of BootMii on boot2 and also Priiloader as a win for today.

Thanks again.
It sounds like you followed the wrong guide. NEVER install cIOS over your normal IOS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1