Hacking Stuck installing A9LH - DecryptWIP & restoring 9.2.0

Inflameslol

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I got stuck on a part installing A9LH. I hope someone can shed some light on my issue. Im following Plailect's guide and im on the part where im using Decrypt9WIP with the 9.2.0 ctrtransfer.

After letting it run through I got these error messages:
Checking hash from .SHA file...
Failed, image corrupt or modified!
Auto CTRNAND Transfer: failed!

I re-read every step as carefully as I could since i began and always doublechecked.

I dont know what to do from this point and Ive left the error screen up.

Before I started this procedure I recall when picking the NANDmin.bin to backup to the file had "(!)" after the file name & asking to overwrite. guide didnt specify any of this so I pressed A to continue.

I would greatly appriciate any help with my issue.

For reference I used the New 3DS 9.2.0 - EUR - ctrtransfer download.
Console was 9.0.0-20E prior to starting the install earlier

Last edited by Inflameslol,

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, looks like the download is damaged. Try to download the image again or use a mirror. What unit version is it? N3ds?

In what part of the guide you are? You have A9LH installed already? The system is in 2.1 v?

Last edited by Urbanshadow,

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
it is indeed a N3DS

I have a NANDmin.bin from when i went from 9.0 to 2.1 and backing up. the guide said to copy the files9 folder to my pc and thats where I have the file.

Ok so you are in 2.1. Do not boot into menu again. You have A9LH already installed, I guess.

And you have a NANDmin.bin, try to restore that with Hourglass9 and Sysnand Restore (keep A9LH)

This is the link i think you are looking for: Plailect's Guide - Restoring the system
(You HAVE a backup, so follow steps from 1 to 9)

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country

Inflameslol

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Then just do as advised in my first reply and redownload the 9.2 ctrnand from a mirror. Your current one is broken.

just to be safe as im new to A9LH as a whole and having issues;

I should leave NANDmin.bin & .bin.sha alone and redownload from a mirror (the ctr 9.2.0 transfer files) and just try again with the same method?

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
just to be safe as im new to A9LH as a whole and having issues;

I should leave NANDmin.bin & .bin.sha alone and redownload from a mirror (the ctr 9.2.0 transfer files) and just try again with the same method?

Yes. You are already protected by A9LH in case something happens, but yes.

Oh and I forgot, you can no longer boot into 2.1: Luma won't support it and you don't have a regular firm anymore (A9LH), it's safe to go.

leerz

Trophies
Website
leerz25.sitesled.com
XP
Country
Then just do as advised in my first reply and redownload the 9.2 ctrnand from a mirror. Your current one is broken.

Brick alert: If you boot the system into the 2.1 menu and close the lid, the system will get into an unrecoverable brick (motherboard replacement is the only way out). So please whatever you do, don't close the lid while in 2.1 menu. In fact, avoid booting the 2.1 menu if you can.
sorry for ot.

do we have a thread the confirms this?
sorry, I think if he is indeed bricked, maybe all he needs is a hardmod to restore his nand :)

Inflameslol

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes. You are already protected by A9LH in case something happens, but yes.

Oh and I forgot, you can no longer boot into 2.1: Luma won't support it and you don't have a regular firm anymore (A9LH), it's safe to go.

So I downloaded the 9.2.0 ctr files from the mirror and put them on the sd. repeating the process i accidently fat-fingered a button, i assume B when it asked to overwrite the NANDmin.bin (!) again.

I assume it canceled out of the backup however the install itself completed sucessfully

edit:

the NANDmin.bin from when i went from 9.0 to 2.1 and the one from 2.1 to 9.2 are the exact same size (not sure if it overwrote the NANDmin.bin when I got the error from earlier)

they both match the samsung NAND on the guide's page where it asks you to check the file size.

edit2:
I assume system should be bootable after doing the 2.1->9.2 ctr install
as the guide's part before FBI install states that the backed up emunand should be bootable now before moving to FBI (i used the fresh install choice, side guide)

Booting up the system without pressing anything leaves it in a black screen.
pressing power off for a second brings up the power off menu.

I might still be on 2.1 is the feeling im getting.

edit3:
After following the troubleshooting guide and deleting luma config+ the 00000098 folder they suggest for EU I am now able to boot up normally, it is also on 9.2. I will continue the guide to install FBI now.

Reactions: Urbanshadow

leerz

Trophies
Website
leerz25.sitesled.com
XP
Country
Go bottom of this link

He is not bricked. He will not brick, because he can't brick anymore. Don't scare him please. Also, outdated post!

I wasn't referring to his problems, lol this is totally unrelated to his issues, hence my preword for OffTopic.

I was referring to
will get into an unrecoverable brick (motherboard replacement is the only way out).

I'm pretty aware that it MIGHT happen since I've done the OTP process several times, and it is Mentioned plenty of times that IT might HAPPEN
Putting a New 3DS on 2.1.0 in sleep mode is known to cause an UNRECOVERABLE brick! You should avoid closing your device and, without delay, go directly to Part 3 - arm9loaderhax to prevent this!

I was wondering what kind of brick it is that makes it be an UNRECOVERABLE brick,

is it the same as the gateway brick? can a hardmod fix it?

I think it is unlikely for the hardware to incur a real problem (like power issues inside the 3ds or components failing) caused by the closing of the lid.

Last edited by leerz,

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
I think it is unlikely for the hardware to incur a real problem (like power issues inside the 3ds or components failing) caused by the closing of the lid.

The problem resides in the sleep mode afaik. Being a system power state and close tied to hardware, trying to induce a 3ds sleep mode in a n3ds can potentially bork or break the power system control. If that's the case, not even a hardmod would work, since the system can't even power on.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

After following the troubleshooting guide and deleting luma config+ the 00000098 folder they suggest for EU I am now able to boot up normally, it is also on 9.2. I will continue the guide to install FBI now.

Great! Time to move on, then.

Inflameslol

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Great! Time to move on, then.

I got confirmed elsewhere that when it says "Sys" before 9.2.0 in the settings it means im on A9LH/luma and I can do a system update as per regular to the latest. Installed lumaupdater, fbi and hbl.
I also tested nes/snes/gba/3ds .cia and it all worked just fine.

Thank you very much for all the help in here earlier when I was stuck !

One last question about NANDmin.bin since Im still not sure exactly what that is

When you go from 9.0->2.1 and then 2.1->9.2 via decrypt9WIP; is the NANDmin.bin file the same when you backup both times? also what is it used for (it had the same 1.21gb file size both times)
Doing a nandbackup now gets me a NAND.bin at almost 2gb on n3ds which i assume is the same as a regular sysnand backup pre A9LH (emunand+gateway user)

thanks again

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
When you go from 9.0->2.1 and then 2.1->9.2 via decrypt9WIP; is the NANDmin.bin file the same when you backup both times? also what is it used for (it had the same 1.21gb file size both times)
Doing a nandbackup now gets me a NAND.bin at almost 2gb on n3ds which i assume is the same as a regular sysnand backup pre A9LH (emunand+gateway user)

thanks again

It is not really the same. With a CTRNAND transfer you copy the CTRNAND partition (duh) FIRM0/1 (in non-A9LH systems), and a bunch of special files of another system. In this transfer you actually get the internal id's of another unit, being able to succesfully copy games between systems.

Schema of flash partitions

With a full nand backup you restore well, the full nand. You recover the id you had before the procedure as well as recovering a extra bunch of partitions. This can recover the titles/content you had installed before downgraded. But the backup is yours and intransferible.

The moment you updated, the nand got bigger because the newer version contains more features, decypt/hourglass will only get you what is really declared in the NCSD header, but the nand fits up to 2 or 2.5 GB. The 2.1 ctrnand image is about 800 MB.

It's about the same in both methods if you remember to make a system format (system settings -> Other settings -> format) OR use tinyformat homebrew after the 9.2 autotransfer to force your system to have a unique id, instead of the another system's id.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    fluff663 @ fluff663: hello everyone