Hacking Stub IOSs

thesund0g

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hey guys, I have a question regarding stub IOSs. I was originally worried that stub IOSs were a crap idea, presenting a brick risk when downgrading and even wasting a tiny bit of space. However, when I see how many people out there are doing things like CIOSCORP, and thereby how many people are susceptible to upgrade bricks, I can see how they probably keep a lot of people out of trouble.

I wonder though, is there a better idea? Rather than removing stubs or leaving them in place [a chance to brick either way if one's not careful] could we maybe develop another solution? I don't know if it's possible, but I wonder if we could develop something useful but not much larger than the current stub. Does anyone think that it's possible to develop some kind of "IOS pointer" to take the place of a stub?
ph34r.gif
The idea is that a little piece of code would be installed in the place of the stub. When it would get called, it'd say, "oh snap, this program wants IOS ##a but THAT'S ME! OH NOES! I'd better redirect it's call to IOS ##b, he'll know what to do!" -- masquerading as one IOS while passing its calls onto another.

Any thoughts? What kinds of restrictions might keep us from doing this? Think we can make this happen?

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Honestly, I don't see your problem, no idea what you want.

Like above said: Stubs aren't used anymore, and if you don't downgrade your Wii, you also don't have to care. They *could* be removed, but this won't free Space (or in the best case a few blocks). Just leave them alone, and never downgrade your Systemmenu.

If you are still worried about Stubs, you can use DOP-IOS MOD to install the Version of the IOS before it was stubbed (which is kinda pointless, though).

thesund0g

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Blue-K said:
Honestly, I don't see your problem, no idea what you want.

Like above said: Stubs aren't used anymore, and if you don't downgrade your Wii, you also don't have to care. They *could* be removed, but this won't free Space (or in the best case a few blocks). Just leave them alone, and never downgrade your Systemmenu.

If you are still worried about Stubs, you can use DOP-IOS MOD to install the Version of the IOS before it was stubbed (which is kinda pointless, though).

Thanks for the replies, but neither of you seem to get what I'm asking. I know what stubs are for, what they do [or don't, rather] and what risks they pose. I'm looking to do something more interesting as a replacement. This could have applications outside of stub IOSs, though I don't know what at this point -- perhaps redirecting one IOS to another that supports USB instruments or NAND emulation, for example.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
I think it is you thesund0g that doesn't understand, perhaps if you explain an exact idea we can tell you why it would be redundant.

Some things you should know, stub IOS are not used by anything, not official software nor homebrew.

So lets get official software out of the equation and look at homebrew. Say you make some code that sits in a stub IOS slot and points to another IOS, well would it not be easier to just have that homebrew point to the IOS you want to redirect to ? Or should devs make apps that point to a stub and then redirect to the IOS they want to use ?

You are kinda adding a middle man that is un-needed...unless I'm missing the point.

I think the best thing would be is you post an exact idea thesund0g of what you mean, give some details please.

hmmm nope can't think of 1 good use for this myself.

I am interested in your ideas incase I've overlooked something so maybe you should add more detail to what you intend and if the idea is good, chances are someone will make it.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well i think i get what the OP is trying to get at. just make a IOS forwarder channel. so the wii tries to load IOS[x]. but IOS[x] just loads IOS[y]. i think there are 2 things wrong with this idea.

1 - if you are goint to bother to install a IOS "forwarder" why not just install a IOS?
2 - nintendo has already taken care of this same idea for us. but instead of a IOS forwarder, they have devised sharing among titles (that includes IOSes). say you have IOS[x] which is 17 parts and IOS[y] which is 15 parts. if those 2 IOSes have 6 parts that are the same, they can be marked as shared, and then the shared parts will only be put on the nand by the first IOS installation. so, you can mark a whole IOS[x] as shared, and then just use a TMD and tik for IOS[y] and you will have your forwarded IOS.

You could also use this idea for some cIOScorp or shit like that and just install 1 or 2 IOSes to the shared folder, then just install tik and TMD for every other IOS since they are all the same content anyways.

This way is better than the forwarder idea, because in the OP's idea, if anything says "load IOS[x]" and then late "what IOS is running ?" he will get bake "IOS[y]". But by just sharing the parts of the IOS, if he asks what IOS is running, it will be the one that he tried to load in the first place.

jazvdb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its you that dont get the whole point of stubbed IOSs

This was another attempt from Nintendo to prevent people from running unofficial things on your Wii

Thats why you see lots of people here were asking, when they run certain apps (like Wad Manager) the screen just goes black and the Wiimote just loses connection...

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you just want an IOS "Forwarder", giantpune's idea sounds great, albeit quite useless as already mentioned.

QUOTE said:
adding a middle man that is un-needed
Couldn't have said it better myself. If I do IOS_ReloadIOS(20); and it forwards to 30, why not just IOS_ReloadIOS(30); and be done with it?

If you just want them to be functional again, you could do what I did once. I took IOS16 v257 and changed the version to 512. The wii sees the version during an update and thinks the stub is installed already, but its really a working v257 with the stub's version #.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
To the OP: There is only one reason the stubs are there: So we CAN'T run code off of them. Nintendo wants us to be unable to run code off of old IOSs that no longer need to be there

thesund0g

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
giantpune said:
well i think i get what the OP is trying to get at. just make a IOS forwarder channel. so the wii tries to load IOS[x]. but IOS[x] just loads IOS[y]. i think there are 2 things wrong with this idea.

1 - if you are goint to bother to install a IOS "forwarder" why not just install a IOS?
2 - nintendo has already taken care of this same idea for us. but instead of a IOS forwarder, they have devised sharing among titles (that includes IOSes). say you have IOS[x] which is 17 parts and IOS[y] which is 15 parts. if those 2 IOSes have 6 parts that are the same, they can be marked as shared, and then the shared parts will only be put on the nand by the first IOS installation. so, you can mark a whole IOS[x] as shared, and then just use a TMD and tik for IOS[y] and you will have your forwarded IOS.

You could also use this idea for some cIOScorp or shit like that and just install 1 or 2 IOSes to the shared folder, then just install tik and TMD for every other IOS since they are all the same content anyways.

This way is better than the forwarder idea, because in the OP's idea, if anything says "load IOS[x]" and then late "what IOS is running ?" he will get bake "IOS[y]". But by just sharing the parts of the IOS, if he asks what IOS is running, it will be the one that he tried to load in the first place.

Good points, you seem to get what I was thinking of. Thanks for clearing it up.

Posts merged

QUOTE(techboy @ Jan 10 2010, 01:16 PM) If you just want an IOS "Forwarder", giantpune's idea sounds great, albeit quite useless as already mentioned.

If you just want them to be functional again, you could do what I did once. I took IOS16 v257 and changed the version to 512. The wii sees the version during an update and thinks the stub is installed already, but its really a working v257 with the stub's version #.

Another good point, thanks. I thought I was almost on to something there
smile.gif

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
The IOS etc reside in the reserved mem, hmm unless it's almost full that's space wasted. If we did install "something" to where an IOS should be it *shouldn't* touch the free blocks.

Just a thought, can't think of any good ideas to take advantage of it though
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night