Stub IOS´s

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by goku21temp, Aug 18, 2009.

Aug 18, 2009

Stub IOS´s by goku21temp at 2:15 PM (6,678 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. goku21temp
    OP

Member goku21temp GBAtemp Regular

United States
    hello

just read in the NUS-dowloader thread about stub IOS...

question: can i just delete them to keep my nand clean or is there any reason to keep them?

i´m confused with IOS51 as i think its needed by that shooter-wiiware game.

it´s not like i have any stub-versions of the ios´s installed but if they aren´t used anyways, shouldn´t i just delete them ? ...

i wanna clean out my wii(photochannel, weatherchannel, ios etc.) so i also have a very clean nand-dump for nand-emulation.

are there any reasons against it?

thanx in advance

cheers goku21

2. Helsionium

Member Helsionium Alpha and Omega

Austria
    Don't delete an IOS, ever. There's no reason to do that, especially not "keeping your NAND clean". Never touch a running system. There will be absolutely no ill effects from keeping them. If you do anything wrong while deleting, you might have a bricked Wii in the end. So it's better to just keep them.

3. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    There is no reason to delete any IOS, stub or not. Its dangerous and stupid. dont do it.

4. Dan_Aykroyd

Member Dan_Aykroyd GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Yeah, you can delete them. Just be extra careful and, if possible, have a boot2 NAND backup. Also be REALLY sure of what you are doing, and read A LOT before even trying.

We talked about the same thing here some time ago, so you'll get bashed and flamed to hell for even thinking about deleting an IOS.

But it can be done: I've deleted every mothballed IOS listed in WiiBrew and it's working great. Just be careful.

5. Dialexio

Member Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    General Message: If you are new to the hacking scene, do not modify an IOS.

IOS51 was only used by the Wii Shop Channel from the October 23rd update, hence why it is now a stub. Nintendo will only turn unused IOSes into stubs.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

6. olliepop2000

Member olliepop2000 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    if anything, rather than deleting mothballed IOS it would make more sense to replace the stubs with the last working version (and you could always be ready for any system menu version)