Struggling Zynga appoints Xbox boss

pwsincd

Garage Flower
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
zynga-header-logo.png

The struggling game company Zynga, a company that makes most of their money from "social games" (monetising them and advertising heavily in them) though recently they have been branching out into other areas like board games and online gambling, have appointed Don Mattrick, previously of EA and Microsoft, to the position of CEO. The move will probably be watched by many as Zynga are noted for a rather harsh business culture and Don Mattrick's previous companies do not always poll the highest in terms of good feelings among customers. Still under his leadership both EA and Microsoft's gaming divisions (which he was in charge of) grew massively. On the trivia front though it could be interesting as EA sued Zynga for copyright (not a common thing in computer games as most are patents and trademarks) last year with the case still unresolved.

Social gaming company Zynga has named former Microsoft executive Don Mattrick as chief executive.

Mark Pincus, the company's founder and current CEO, said he will stay on as chairman and chief product officer.

"Zynga is a great business that has yet to realize its full potential," said Mr Mattrick in an email to employees.

At Microsoft, Mr Mattrick was head of interactive entertainment, the key division that includes Xbox, which is about to launch a new console.

Source : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23134276

So this guy worked for EA ..hmm and then MS, hmmm and now Zynga, on the face of it this guy leaves a strange odour behind wherever he has been it seems.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EA already bought out playfish, popcap and king.com. One of the 3 they have closed down. I can see EA buying out eventually Zynga, closing it down and firing this guy. Anything they can do to protect pogo.com they will.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Huh? When did Don Mattrick leave Microsoft?
Pretty much now.

As for the change, I'm a bit surprised. The Xbox division is larger than Zynga, but then again, maybe he likes a good challenge! Even with the abysmal E3 by Microsoft, they're still in clearer waters compared to Zynga.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I feel like after his five year old level retorts towards all the criticism the Xbox One received, someone higher up may have suggested that he seek a new job because otherwise, I don't know why anybody would jump on the sinking ship that's Zynga.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like after his five year old level retorts towards all the criticism the Xbox One received, someone higher up may have suggested that he seek a new job because otherwise, I don't know why anybody would jump on the sinking ship that's Zynga.

That wouldn't surprise me at all actually. I'm sure he had a nice chat with a higher-up about that, uh, incident.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

CEOs like to appoint other CEOs, CEOs and executive types tend not to go without work for too long and a couple of years with a large paycheck is a fairly enticing prospect.

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
After all that sarcastic ass "get a 360 if you don't want forced internet connectivity" the backstepping after all the hate Microsoft was getting. I kinda think he know the XB One is going to be a failure and he doesn't want to be held responsible. That said, I think him heading up a company who makes money by selling fake currency to idiots sounds like a good match!

Reactions: bowser

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Push it :creep: