Hacking Struggling with new R4i, not sure what to get.

greedy_monster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before anything - yes, I would like to buy an R4 product no matter what. xD I respect your opinions, but don't recommend other flashcarts.

Now, to the issue - My friend got a new DSi, so of course we set out to buy an R4i. But we're still confused about certain things.

First of all,
1. what would be the difference between R4i Gold, R4i Ultra, and R4i SDHC (considering I will still use WoodR4 firmware on either, that is if it applies), which would be better?

2. Is it okay for me to blindly follow ShopTemp and buy from their highest rated? There are far too many websites selling flashcarts and I don't want to get caught with a fake product or something that doesn't work. I got my R4 from a friend, so I really am clueless as to where to buy them. If you have a favorite shop, perhaps recommend?

3. Even though I'm pretty dead-set on this one, is WoodR4 the better firmware I can use for those flashcarts?

Sorry for all this newb-ness. But I want to be careful, and make sure what I'm doing.
Your input and opinions and very welcome, please help me out. Or forward me to an already answered topic, if there is such.

Much thanks

Z

Zorua

You can buy a genuine acekard in almost the same money. Do you know that these carts aren't manafactured by the original r4 team? These are just mere clones. Anyway, if you're hell bent on buying an r4, get the r4i gold. Also, note that you may end up buying a clone of the 'original' r4i gold which wont run wood. If you do end up buying a clone, don't come crying to us because we won't be able to do anything. Another negative about them is that you wont be able to use them with the 3ds, if you ever decide to buy one. However, the acekard 2i can run on the 3ds with an update which takes only about a minute. In the end its your decision but I recommend that you get the acekard for reasons stated above. Also, akaio, which is the alternate firmware for acekard, looks exactly like wood. Anyway, I'll answer your questions:

1. R4i Gold is the best because out of those three, it is the only wood compatible cart.

2. Yes. Buy the R4i Gold from shoptemp to make sure that you get the original.

3. You can use YSMenu as well but yes, Wood R4 is the best.

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
greedy_monster said:
Before anything - yes, I would like to buy an R4 product no matter what. xD I respect your opinions, but don't recommend other flashcarts.
Well then enjoy your trash cart. I foresee you returning to this site numerous times to ask dumb questions about why your random R4 clone doesn't do what you want it to.

unopepito06

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I think Zorua was a little unclear. The team that made the original R4 that you have no longer exists. And since the world of flashcarts can be kind of shady (as far as cheap garbage coming out of manufacturers in China), the name R4 is no longer associated with any one card, any one team - every card you see with "R4" in the name (besides the original) is, for all intents and purposes, a knock-off, a cheap piece of plastic with some half-assed software, that will most likely never get regular, functional updates, and will not be compatible with future ds firmware updates.

The name R4 is now everywhere, and is synonymous with "ripoff". It has almost achieved the same social status as Rolex watches and Gucci handbags, with the exception that there are still real, official Rolexes being made, you can't say the same for R4s.

If I were you, I'd take a look at what some of the better options on the market. Look for a card that has a lot of users (which means lots of people supporting it and relying on the team for updates), and one with updateable firmware, so when Nintendo tries to lock your card out, it is adaptable, and you don't have to buy a new one every year.

I've been out of the scene for awhile now, but I believe there is a CycloDS for the DSi now (just checked, the CycloDS iEvolution), that would probably be a good choice, and the Supercard DSTWO is also supposed to be all that and a side of toast, so check that out too. I'm not so sure and Acekard 2i would be the best choice: I assume you wanted to stick with the R4 for its simplicity, and I guess you're a fairly inexperienced user, and the Acekard can be a bit tricky to use for a beginner.

I bought an M3i Zero when I got my DSi, and was very disappointed with the speed of getting compatibility updates after about a year, and stopped using it. You never know when the "best card on the market" can flop for whatever reason.

Good luck.
yaynds.gif

Nebz

The N00b
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Sorry for all this newb-ness. But I want to be careful, and make sure what I'm doing.
Out of curiosity... Why in the hell do you want an R4 Clone?!?!?!

For $13-$25 (depending on which site you can trust) you can buy a legit Acekard2i or some other non R4 related which works a hell of a lot better than some "R4"...

If you want to be careful... Don't buy an R4 CLONE
dry.gif

Z

Zorua

unopepito06 said:
Okay, I think Zorua was a little unclear. The team that made the original R4 that you have no longer exists. And since the world of flashcarts can be kind of shady (as far as cheap garbage coming out of manufacturers in China), the name R4 is no longer associated with any one card, any one team - every card you see with "R4" in the name (besides the original) is, for all intents and purposes, a knock-off, a cheap piece of plastic with some half-assed software, that will most likely never get regular, functional updates, and will not be compatible with future ds firmware updates.Err, the r4i gold is wood compatible and wood gets updates whenever a new game comes out

The name R4 is now everywhere, and is synonymous with "ripoff". It has almost achieved the same social status as Rolex watches and Gucci handbags, with the exception that there are still real, official Rolexes being made, you can't say the same for R4s.

If I were you, I'd take a look at what some of the better options on the market. Look for a card that has a lot of users (which means lots of people supporting it and relying on the team for updates), and one with updateable firmware, so when Nintendo tries to lock your card out, it is adaptable, and you don't have to buy a new one every year.

I've been out of the scene for awhile now, but I believe there is a CycloDS for the DSi now (just checked, the CycloDS iEvolution), that would probably be a good choice, and the Supercard DSTWO is also supposed to be all that and a side of toast, so check that out too. I'm not so sure and Acekard 2i would be the best choice: I assume you wanted to stick with the R4 for its simplicity, and I guess you're a fairly inexperienced user, and the Acekard can be a bit tricky to use for a beginner.The acekard can be tricky?! Umm what?! There are many guides here but all you need to do is extract the latest AKAIO to the root of the sd. Also, he may be on a tight budget so cyclodsi and scdstwo wont be an option for him.

I bought an M3i Zero when I got my DSi, and was very disappointed with the speed of getting compatibility updates after about a year, and stopped using it. You never know when the "best card on the market" can flop for whatever reason.

Good luck.
yaynds.gif

Was I really unclear? I answered all his questions, told him the best cart out of the 3 which he listed in the OP and recommended the acekard to him. Anyway, I don't think that you can do much. For all you know, he'll buy an r4 regardless of what we say and then he'll come running to gbatemp and will be all like, "OMG I GOT A CLONE. HOW DO I RUN WOOD ON IT?"

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wood isn't a firmware. AKAIO isn't a firmware either.
They're OS' or Menus or Kernels.

Also enjoy your clone, whom most of which were profiting off peoples ignorance while ripping off a name.
Now they're just profiting off someone else' work while ripping off a name.

huangyu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zorua said:
You can buy a genuine acekard in almost the same money. Do you know that these carts aren't manafactured by the original r4 team? These are just mere clones. Anyway, if you're hell bent on buying an r4, get the r4i gold. Also, note that you may end up buying a clone of the 'original' r4i gold which wont run wood. If you do end up buying a clone, don't come crying to us because we won't be able to do anything. Another negative about them is that you wont be able to use them with the 3ds, if you ever decide to buy one. However, the acekard 2i can run on the 3ds with an update which takes only about a minute. In the end its your decision but I recommend that you get the acekard for reasons stated above. Also, akaio, which is the alternate firmware for acekard, looks exactly like wood. Anyway, I'll answer your questions:

1. R4i Gold is the best because out of those three, it is the only wood compatible cart.

2. Yes. Buy the R4i Gold from shoptemp to make sure that you get the original.

3. You can use YSMenu as well but yes, Wood R4 is the best.

Best Answer.......

greedy_monster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jesus Christ, you guys really like to argue. xD

Thanks for your input, though. As sarcastic as it was.

That said, yes, I have special reasons for actually getting an R4i, and it's also not the only flashcart I actually have XD

but, awesome. thanks.

v13j0

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This is the R4 forum! why you keep coming here if you dislike the R4 carts so much?
go to your crappy section to discuss about contact problems, double tape methods and
Fake carts and stuff and get the hell out of here!

Now, answering the OP question...

Buy and R4i gold from www.r4ids.cn

I always use www.0shippingzone.com

but I think that you will be fine getting it form any of the top store from shoptemp.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
v13j0 said:
This is the R4 forum! why you keep coming here if you dislike the R4 carts so much?
go to your crappy section to discuss about contact problems, double tape methods and
Fake carts and stuff and get the hell out of here!
Oh, as if he wasn't considering fake carts in his initial post or something?
tongue.gif

When you go for something with "R4" in the title you are much more likely to get a fake than anything else, though DSTT is a close contender. Even if you tell the user to go for something like an R4i gold, they still have to figure out WHICH cart with that name is the one they want, and even then just like any cart they run the risk of not getting a genuine, often because of suppliers lying to the sites. In addition R4 carts often lack updateable bootloaders, meaning when a 3DS/DSi update comes out you might just have to buy a new cart.

There's a much bigger risk when going for an R4 product, so don't try to pretend it's all peachy keen.

greedy_monster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
What reason is this?

For the sake of a simple answer, a collection. o.o But mostly it's just because my friend likes R4's . It's just about as simple and stupid as using anything useless, because it's nostalgic.

Thanks for the civility by the way, and I /do/ realize there are much better flashcarts. xD

Trent2528

Trophies
XP
Country
I bought a R4i Gold from www.r4ids.com and it runs akaio.
I obtained pokemon black (clean rom) and it worked perfectly, i didn't need to do anything else.

I don't think they will be doing updates for the R4i Gold much but, but i think i've got what i wanted
smile.gif

Good luck with your choice!

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Trent2528 said:
I obtained pokemon black (clean rom) and it worked perfectly, i didn't need to do anything else.

I don't think they will be doing updates for the R4i Gold much but, but i think i've got what i wanted
smile.gif

Yes, but they probably stole Normmatt's work to get it to work on their crappy card.
I'm talking about 1.8.6 not 1.8.1.

Trent2528

Trophies
XP
Country
Aeter said:
Trent2528 said:

smile.gif

Yes, but they probably stole Normmatt's work to get it to work on their crappy card.

I downloaded it off the offical akaio site? and i even checked on the r4 wood about it, and it said it was the latest one.
I know NOTHING about who makes the stuff, but i do know that it works flawlessly on my card.

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Trent2528 said:
Aeter said:
Trent2528 said:

smile.gif

I downloaded it off the offical akaio site? and i even checked on the r4 wood about it, and it said it was the latest one.
I know NOTHING about who makes the stuff, but i do know that it works flawlessly on my card.

I was pointing to the new AKAIO 1.8.6 release that appeared on the r4ids.com website recently, which I don't think is legit.

But seriously, your R4 from r4ids.com can run the official AKAIO 1.8.6?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Hi +1