Hacking Struggling with FAT32

Mantis41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I finally took the plunge and used wbfs2fat to convert my ancient WBFS drive to FAT32. I had been getting messages about save blocks and the like so I thought a bit of NAND emu might be the go. wbfs2fat is an absolutely fantastic conversion utility by the way.

Conversion went well and only took about 30 seconds with no errors. I also copied the apps, wad, wiiflow and cfg folders to my new FAT32 partition from the SD.

I ran up the Wii without the SD and HB channel asks to update, no problem there. I let it update and see that it has install v1 something on IOS 58. I press 1 to switch to the HDD and the option is greyed out. Ok! Putting the SD back in all the apps are back but I still can’t switch to the USB HDD the option is greyed out.

I decide to test some games. I run up Wiiflow (r417) and it fails to find a valid partition. Fearing the worst I run up Cfg loader and after a complaint about not finding a WBFS partition I manually selected the USB partition and it finds all my backups and all of them seem to run ok. Thank goodness for that as I was starting to think I had screwed the drive.

I have 3 questions really.
Why won’t the HB channel see the USB FAT32 apps folder?
Why won’t Wiiflow recognise the FAT32 partition?
How do I get Cfg loader to auto run up the FAT32 partition without having to manualy select it?

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know about wiiflow but I can answer your other questions.

1. you do have your apps in X:\apps\ on your hard drive, right? if so then try giving it a minute and see if it detects it. If not then reinstall ios58 (get ios58 installer from wiibrew) and then reinstall the latest hbc.
3. after choosing your usb drive fat32 partition in cfgloader you have to go into the global options (select a game, press 1 for options, and press 1 again for global options) and then save the global settings.

ddetkowski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In order to run HBC from your usb drive, you need to first go into HBC, push the "1" button, and choose load HBC from USB, not SD, and have a folder on the drive called apps to run your apps from.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
most likely the problem for wiiflow is the same one as for cfg
some config file contains the information that you use a (now gone) wbfs partition
try a fresh config instead, most likely it is configured to ask which partition to use

Mantis41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Guys.
I'll try the fixes tonight. The biggest issue is the HB channel not detecting the drive. I'l have to check the naming of the apps folder but it should be ok as I copied it directly off the SD card which is still working. When I press "1" It is strange the HDD option is greyed out and can't be selected. If all else fails I'll try an IOS 58 re-install and see what happens.

I only have a single fat32 partition @ 320GB. Do you think I should have two seperate partitions?

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Nope, 2 partitions won't make things better.
With hbc 1.0.8,I had strange issues as well when I selected my usb drive. The applications shown where still those of the sd card.
When I shutdown my wii and restarted it, hbc started to show the applications on the harddisk. The recent update seems to have fixed the issue.

Mantis41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got home from work and tried agian. HB channel just started working as @obcd said his did. Also fixed cfg loader in a few seconds so thank you for your help there.

I am finding the Fat32 a little slower than WBFS. If it wasn't for the NAND emu I would probably stick with WBFS. I will probably end up trying an NTFS partition for the backups.

As for Wiiflow it is still saying "no valid partition detected." It's a shame, I like the look of Wiiflow. I could probably try another version as r417 is not playing nicely at all.

Mantis41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
seeing as d2x v8 has been finalized (ie. d2x-v8-final) that is definitely outdated
You're right. I now remember seeing that in ModMii!
Maybe Mantis41 should run a sysCheck log through ModMii, to update to the latest ( c )IOS's.
Thanks I have dropped down a copy of syscheck from you sig. I'll try it if I can get the Miss's off the TV.

On the Wiiflow Wiki the text states V8b1-r42 but the link then has more options. The two latest are:

FIX94 d2x v8b1(r41) WAD Pack.zip
2012-02-04 10:33:55, 13 MB

FIX94 d2x v8 WAD Pack.zip

2012-03-06 12:44:33, 13 MB

FIX94 d2x v9b1(r47) WAD Pack.zip
2012-03-18 10:33:20, 13 MB

Should I stick with the v8 or go with v9b1?

Mantis41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stuff it! I give up on Wiiflow. I have tried a few versions of Wiiflow and Wiiflow-mod and none of them will find the fat32 drive. I might have to go back to GX. I havn't used that in about 3 years.

Thanks for your help everybody.

Edit:
All fixed now: :yay:
I converted the FAT32 to NTFS using EASUS partition master. I then created a small 8GB FAT32 partition at the end of the drive and made it active using the same utility. Stupid Wiiflow now sees both partitions and everthing is working well.

Now I just need to sort out the code dumps when using NAND emu in Wiiflow.

Edit2:
Followed this and nand emu is now working porperly.
Miigotu Says: I suggest a 2 partition setup, the first being fat32 of around 25GB, for your normal apps (other than wiiflow), and your emulated nand.
The second partition, formatted as NTFS should hold usb2:/apps/wiiflow, usb:/wiiflow, and usb2:/wbfs (your games). You dont want any wiiflow files on usb1 since your emulated nand is there and issues can occur if you try to emulate saves or nand while wiiflow is writing to configuraiton files on the same partition.
Q: How do I boot wiiflow from the hbc then?
A: Make a folder usb1:/apps/wiiflow-forwarder and put the priiloader forwarder in it as boot.dol, along with meta.xml and icon.png. This forwarder will find usb2:/apps/wiiflow/boot.dol and launch wiiflow correctly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."