tylerzentz

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So I understand stubs are used to prevent softmodding attempts by acting as placeholders; they take up space so unofficial content can't be put there.

are stubs attached to the IOS in such a way that they can just be removed? or is a stub an actual part of the IOS itself?

tylerzentz

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
codezer0 said:
I'm curious to know which are known stubs, or if there are any homebrew apps that would determine (and let me remove) the stubbed IOS's on my own?
i think the app "dop-ios mod" has the ability to eradicate all stubs.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tylerzentz said:
codezer0 said:
I'm curious to know which are known stubs, or if there are any homebrew apps that would determine (and let me remove) the stubbed IOS's on my own?
DOP-IOS MOD can indeed do this. It has a special "Remove Stub IOSes" function just for this. You need to run DOP-IOS MOD on cIOS or on a patched IOS36 for that feature to work though. If you don't have either, just use the "Install an IOS that accepts fakesigning" (or similar wording, i'm too tired to go start my wii right now and look) option to get the patched IOS36.

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes, Dop-IOS MOD can detect remove stubs.

Alternatively, you could compare the version number with those of known stubs the old-fashioned way.
tongue.gif
Here's an up-to-date (as of the posting time) stub list:

IOS4 v65280 (negligible)
IOS10 v768
IOS11 v256
IOS16 v512
IOS20 v256
IOS30 v2816
IOS50 v5120
IOS51 v4864
IOS60 v6400
IOS222 v65280
IOS223 v65280
IOS249 v65280
IOS250 v65280
IOS254 v2/v3/v260

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
techboy said:
tylerzentz said:
codezer0 said:
DOP-IOS MOD can indeed do this. It has a special "Remove Stub IOSes" function just for this. You need to run DOP-IOS MOD on cIOS or on a patched IOS36 for that feature to work though. If you don't have either, just use the "Install an IOS that accepts fakesigning" (or similar wording, i'm too tired to go start my wii right now and look) option to get the patched IOS36.
Okay, I load up Dop-IOS mod there, and both with IOS36 and IOS60 (which it defaults to); when selecting that "remove stubbed IOS's" option, however, and select Yes afterward, it simply goes to a black screen.

Powering it off and turning it back on seems to bring it back to normal though. So I guess I'll be needing that list to go through and delete them one by one, then.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Do you have cIOS installed already? If so, try IOS249.

You could follow the "Modify Any Wii" guide in the stickies from the beginning through "Installing cIOS and patching the system menu IOS". That will install cIOS and toss out your stubs.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
techboy said:
Do you have cIOS installed already? If so, try IOS249.

You could follow the "Modify Any Wii" guide in the stickies from the beginning through "Installing cIOS and patching the system menu IOS". That will install cIOS and toss out your stubs.
I have cIOScorp 3.6 and cIOS rev 17; installed WiiGator's mIOS, and the rev14 DIP.

But yea, tried loading with IOS 249, and still just black screens when I select Yes to remove stubbed IOS's.

tylerzentz

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dialexio said:
Yes, Dop-IOS MOD can detect remove stubs.

Alternatively, you could compare the version number with those of known stubs the old-fashioned way.
tongue.gif
Here's an up-to-date (as of the posting time) stub list:

IOS4 v65280 (negligible)
IOS10 v768
IOS11 v256
IOS16 v512
IOS20 v256
IOS30 v2816
IOS50 v5120
IOS51 v4864
IOS60 v6400
IOS222 v65280
IOS223 v65280
IOS249 v65280
IOS250 v65280
IOS254 v2/v3/v260
so there are new versions of IOSs that are stubs, but they werent stubs in their old versions?

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
tylerzentz said:
would it be a bad idea to update all my IOSs to the newest versions with DOP-IOS?
As far as I know, Dop-IOS (MOD or original version) does not install stubs. It's not a wise idea to get the latest IOSes and patch out signature checking, as that may flip your HBC upside-down.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
theres really only 2 reasons to remove stub IOSes.

1 - remove the piracy/homebrew prevention stubs. only the ones oven 200 are actively used by homebrew. just remove a stub of 249 and you can install a cIOS there, etc.

2 - downgrade->brick prevention. if you have system menu 4.2 and all its stubs and you try to install IOS60 and 4.1, IOS60 will have a lower version than the stub there, so youre playing with fire.

all the rest of the stubs are really negligible. there's no game that requests that IOS. otherwise nintendo couldn't stub them without rendering that game useless. and even removing all of them clears up 2 blocks is the wii. as a mater of fact, deleting the stubs under 200 will trigger disc based games to request an update even if all your system menu and active IOS are up to date.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup