STRM to WAV; WAV to STRM

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Naxito, Oct 13, 2008.

Oct 13, 2008

STRM to WAV; WAV to STRM by Naxito at 10:39 AM (3,487 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Naxito
    OP

Newcomer Naxito Advanced Member

Spain
    Hi, I wanted to know whether it was possible to convert a WAV STRM and vice versa, if possible I would like to know, I think that STRM to WAV.

2. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    are you sure you are posting in the right thread???
    if so, did you find a STRM inside a ROM?
    If true, you can tell us what ROM you found it in..
    just because it has an extension that we might have heard of doesn't mean it will be used for the same purpose.

3. DarthNemesis

Member DarthNemesis GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Google strm2wav.

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I have seen strm files (which are the same as the ones from sdat files) in some of the early Tony Hawks games but I do not recall any others.

Back on topic I know of no conversion from wave to strm app but it is not overly difficult to use existing tools and create a header:
    http://kiwi.ds.googlepages.com/sdat.html#strm

conversion to wave files is simple enough and can be done by several apps including crystaltile2, nintendon's ndssndext app:
    http://nintendon.s6.xrea.com/ (I can not seem to find it there right now but I have it on my drive if not), the strm2wav DarthNemesis spoke of and a couple of other apps.

5. Rigle

Member Rigle GBAtemp Regular

Spain
    Hi!
    I'm from Spain too and I want to convert this files.
    It's for the TWEWY Translation to spanish (Voices Includes LoL)

6. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
  7. Rigle

Member Rigle GBAtemp Regular

Spain
    I knew that.
    We're "Translating" the voices in ADX, but...we can't transform the WAV2STRM.
    [​IMG]

8. cocomonk22

Member cocomonk22 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Anyone know how to convert WAV to STRM? How do you divide the WAV into
    Block 1 L
    Block 1 R
    Block 2 L
    Block 2 R
    ?

9. rastsan

Member rastsan 8 baller, Death Wizard

Canada

I too am looking for a wave to stream converter (encoder) and have no idea what you mean when you say "it is not overly difficult to use existing tools and create a header"

I have the strm2wave source files - how do I turn those into wave to strm? (sounds silly when I post it but given the number of requests for this app I figured I'd ask, especially since I could really use it myself)
    sorry for reviving such an old topic...
    thanks for any help.

10. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    Edit: my apologies ratsan this reply looks to be rather condescending upon reading it back. I assure you it was not my intention.

http://gbatemp.net/t243430-swav-to-swar-converter might be worth a look.

Also others reading the nintendon site lost that program a while back, I have a backup posted though:
    http://www.4shared.com/account/file/Ut_RM4...sndext_v04.html

To answer your question though the source by themselves will probably not do that much.
    Generally speaking in coding it is mightily difficult to divine what a file is and in the case of audio what are the specs of the file (bitrate, bit depth, frequency, compression methods used.....). To this end we often have a collection of the data at the start (or end or some other predefined place or predefined file) of the file called a header- do this enough and it becomes a known format.
    Different programs, operating systems and hardware (the DS has some measure of hardware level support for various formats) use different headers/formats some of which are nightmarishly complex and converting between them all is what keeps most of us playing computing in the money so to speak and equally why it usually takes considering time, effort and skill to play hacker.

Fortunately in this case someone (or in this case many) people have done the groundwork and made an application that works in the other way to what you want and the actual data it deals with is identical (give or take some minor considerations and headers) to what more common hardware namely your PC is geared to interpret out of the box so to speak. What the source code will do is provide details (albeit probably in the form of code) of what is in the various sections of the strm header (frequency, size, bitrate, bit depth and what have you) and how to construct a header for the windows type wave file using said data (where to stick the numbers dealing with frequency- you can also match it up with something like https://ccrma.stanford.edu/courses/422/projects/WaveFormat/ ).

This means when the wave file has a listing for the frequency 24 bytes in you look at http://kiwi.ds.googlepages.com/sdat.html (or the source code) and see 168 bytes (I think it is the right number but I may have added it incorrectly in my haste) into the strm file.
    Rinse and repeat for all the things you need for the file- yes this is going to be very tedious and very predictable/easy to calculate which is why most people use some level of programming to pull it off.

You might have to convert the initial wave file into something more suitable for the DS (the downside of hardware acceleration- at least simple/good/quick variations is lack of flexibility of input) but that can be done when things are still has wave files.