Hardware Stripped the screw on the back of the new 3ds xl

MionissNio

OP
Trophies
XP
I am screwed (No Puns intented) I was trying to unscrew the back of the new 3ds xl just bought yesterday. To install browserhax but know both the screws on the back were stripped even though I used the proper screw driver (Phillips 0) and now it won't even bulge. Any alternative method without damaging the casing as I cannot buy a new one.

Also tried bigger screwdriver but the screws remain stationary.

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
I am screwed (No Puns intented) I was trying to unscrew the back of the new 3ds xl just bought yesterday. To install browserhax but know both the screws on the back were stripped even though I used the proper screw driver (Phillips 0) and now it won't even bulge. Any alternative method without damaging the casing as I cannot buy a new one.

Also tried bigger screwdriver but the screws remain stationary.
Heat a disposable plastic pen very hot (almost melting if you can) and have the tip sit in the screw applying pressure. It will take the shape of the stripped screw, and bam remove it!
I only was able to get this to work a few times and it took many tries. Certainly not the best method, but worth doing if you have no other options.

Last edited by jonthedit,

MionissNio

OP
Trophies
XP
The problem is that Amazon is not available in my country, hence I cannot get this kit. I would try the pen method tho.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dab a drop of "Super Glue" on the end of a a bent paper clip or some such and glue it to the screw. Twist until it's free. Remove the screw and and the glued on impelment and throw them away. Do not bother looking for a replacement screw...

My screws aren't stripped, but the back of a N3DSXL sticks on just fine w/o the screws, I haven't bothered to screw them on since the first time I discovered this (maybe a month after US launch day).

My real point here is don't be afraid to be aggressive or destroy the screws or even their moorings. They are completely unnecessary... At least once you get them out.

MionissNio

OP
Trophies
XP
Nice, it would make taking the SD card out and in a lot easier. The screw extractor is a tad bit dangerous I might ruin the cover plate and I already have scratched it badly :S Derp, besides I don't have a drill. Trying this method now.

SmileCitrus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Screw extractors are hit and miss. I rarely have luck with them. If you can borrow a set or get some cheaply it's worth a shot, but I wouldn't suggest spending a lot of money on some just for your 3DS.

When I get a 3DS with stripped screws I just drill them out. The idea is to destroy the head of the screw and then immediately stop so the post doesn't get damaged. With the head of the screw gone you can lift the back off the system and try to remove the rest of the screw with pliers.

sweis12

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
I used a drill to slowly drill out the head of the screw, and I didn't damage the plastic underneith. Just make sure to take breaks so it doesn't get too hot, and don't use the drill for so long that you drill though the plastic. You want to just drill the head. It took me 20 minutes but it worked without any damage.

gallymimu

EE Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
drilling out the screw head is your best bet. The idea of gluing a paper clip to the screw with superglue is a terrible plan. You will glue the screw to the case accidentally, and the paperclip will just snap right off. super glue is TERRIBLE for shear stress so this simply won't work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.