Hacking Stripped DS Lite circuit board screw,

Brian117

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Long story short, My Crimson Red/Black DS, broke two days ago, and I had some white buttons installed that usually go in the white DS Lite. So before we turned it in because it was still under warranty at Best Buy, I re-installed the black ones that usually go in so I can keep the white ones to install in the new DS I will be getting.

Got home, took the case off slowly and calmly not damaging anything because it was new, and I find out that the right little silver screw on the DS Lite's circuit board, got stripped the first time I tried unscrewing it with a screwdriver I had that fit perfectly. The screw on the left came out fine, but the screw on the right just totally got stripped. It just looks like a big hole.
frown.gif

I've tried many screwdrivers, but none worked. So right now, my new DS Lite only has one side of white buttons installed. And the other half black. The DPAD side is still black, while the ABXY, Start, Select buttons are white. I really need the DPAD changed out to the white one I have, but I can't unscrew that screw on the circuit board to swap it out!

Does anyone know how I can sand it down and/or pluck it out?

Thanks.
unsure.gif

Brian117

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Google is no help. I've searched everything using it, and nothing is even close to being a DS screw. It's either a PSP, or some other electronics.

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
this is what you are looking for:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...screw+extractor

you'll also need the t-handle:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...rd=t-handle+tap

alternately, you can try the trick of laying a the flat side of a wide rubber band over the damaged screw and then attempting to remove it with the screwdriver (screwdriver -> rubberband -> stripped screwhead). you'll need to apply pressure, but be careful not to apply too much and damage the pc board.

I never use the screws that come packaged with the replacement cases. I always re-use the original oem screws. the ones packaged with the aftermarket cases are made of an extremely soft metal and thier heads strip very easily (as you've found out)

Brian117

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the links guys, but if none of you have noticed, those screws are extremely small, and I don't think any screw extractor will fit in the small hole.

Plus, last night, I totally just fucked it up anyways, it is just a big hole right in the middle with no grooves even left to unscrew it. Picture a Philips head screw, but instead of it being a +, it's just a, O.

dry.gif

Whipple

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A small diameter drill a little smaller that the size of the core of the screw (compare with the one on the other side will allow you to get the little bugger out. Once the head is off you can usually clean out the remains with a strong dental pick. Be careful, this is a somewhat delicate process and remember to clean out ALL the metal fragments left behind (with compressed air or a brush) before proceeding.

Another method I have heard about but not used myself is to epoxy a small allen wrench that fits into the "O" you created on the screw. That will give you the leverage to back out the screw once the epoxy has set.

Good luck!

raskal549

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i wouldn't recommend drilling anything just because the screw is so tiny. even if u could find a bit that small. besides, the pressure u apply to the drill, dremel, roto-zip will probably crack the board and u have to worry about metal shavings left in the board shorting something out. then there is also the risk of stripping the threads of the plastic that the screw threads r grabbing onto.
if u totally stripped out the pattern at the head of the screw, try grabbing the entire head with a tiny pair of vise grips or needle nose pliers. once it has loosened a little, release the vise grips and be careful not to scratch the circuit board when turning the vise grip or pliers. turn it as straight as possible. and just because u think it's coming loose, DON'T ever wiggle it. just keep turning it as gently as possible until it is backed all the way out. oh yeah, and obviously, replace that screw and any other that even show a little bit or stripping.
the ones on the board r not as bad as the ones for the casing. if u strip the ones for the case, good luck getting them out

vergilite

GBATemps Regular Clown
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
is the screw fully in e.g __ _ __ or is it more like this__---__ because if it is sticking out a bit you can get some needle nose pliers and twist it out or get some very strong adhesive a strong small piece of metal and glue it to the screw if the glue is strong enough you should be able to get it out

Brian117

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raskal549 said:
i wouldn't recommend drilling anything just because the screw is so tiny. even if u could find a bit that small. besides, the pressure u apply to the drill, dremel, roto-zip will probably crack the board and u have to worry about metal shavings left in the board shorting something out. then there is also the risk of stripping the threads of the plastic that the screw threads r grabbing onto.
if u totally stripped out the pattern at the head of the screw, try grabbing the entire head with a tiny pair of vise grips or needle nose pliers. once it has loosened a little, release the vise grips and be careful not to scratch the circuit board when turning the vise grip or pliers. turn it as straight as possible. and just because u think it's coming loose, DON'T ever wiggle it. just keep turning it as gently as possible until it is backed all the way out. oh yeah, and obviously, replace that screw and any other that even show a little bit or stripping.
the ones on the board r not as bad as the ones for the casing. if u strip the ones for the case, good luck getting them out

I do have a pair of needle nose pliers, but the screw is so damn close to the circuit board, it would be impossible to try and grip it on it's sides and turn.
frown.gif

QUOTE(vergilite @ Aug 10 2009, 09:46 PM) is the screw fully in e.g __ _ __ or is it more like this__---__ because if it is sticking out a bit you can get some needle nose pliers and twist it out or get some very strong adhesive a strong small piece of metal and glue it to the screw if the glue is strong enough you should be able to get it out

And the screw is fully in. As in your first diagram.

And I did actually try some super glue, and let it sit for about an hour with a flathead screwdriver inserted, and the glue just totally ripped apart without even turning the screw once.

-

I really just think I am at the point of giving up on it. I mean sure my DS looks stupid with a black DPAD and white buttons on the other side, but it's worth not messing with it and having my mom pissed at me for breaking my 5th unit. xD

Shadow10

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
use solder and solder a small steel rod in it. also the heat from the solder will lossen up the plastic so u can turn it more freely.

vergilite

GBATemps Regular Clown
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brian117 said:
raskal549 said:

I do have a pair of needle nose pliers, but the screw is so damn close to the circuit board, it would be impossible to try and grip it on it's sides and turn.
frown.gif

QUOTE(vergilite @ Aug 10 2009, 09:46 PM) is the screw fully in e.g __ _ __ or is it more like this__---__ because if it is sticking out a bit you can get some needle nose pliers and twist it out or get some very strong adhesive a strong small piece of metal and glue it to the screw if the glue is strong enough you should be able to get it out

And the screw is fully in. As in your first diagram.

And I did actually try some super glue, and let it sit for about an hour with a flathead screwdriver inserted, and the glue just totally ripped apart without even turning the screw once.

-

I really just think I am at the point of giving up on it. I mean sure my DS looks stupid with a black DPAD and white buttons on the other side, but it's worth not messing with it and having my mom pissed at me for breaking my 5th unit. xD

try a stronger adhesive i used one which keeps my tv stand stuck to the wall (its pretty heavy)
blink.gif
but be sure to use a small applicator as you don't want it stuck to the circuit board oh and use one of these instead of the screwdriver:
C297154-63.jpg
but of course you will have to find one small enough
smile.gif

Brian117

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually just had an idea last night on what to do.

I get this knife-like object we have, and maybe anywhere on the screw, cut a slit on the top of the screw head, so that a flathead might fit in, and try turning it that way. Like this diagram:

C- , but picture that - a little more in the C, as the C is the top if the screw.

Brian117

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heh, I just wanted to update you guys on a little something. This thread can die afterwards.

Today I really screwed up while trying to get the screw out. I tried bending the circuit board up to see if I can just swap out the DPAD that way, but in the process, I broke off a chip on the underside. Hoping it was no big deal, I put it back together without a success once again on trying to get the white DPAD in, put the battery in, turned the DS on, and it boots up fine, but I'm guessing that the chip that broke off was some kind of graphic chip for the bottom screen. So now the bottom screen is fuzzy and faded. The touch sensitivity works and all, but the graphics are gone.

So in my attempt to not get my mom pissed, I put it in my pocket half way out, and ran upstairs to talk to her because she was right at the top, and I pulled my DS out and hoped it landed on the hard steps on the way up, and tried to act sad/frightened, and I turned it on as she was watching, and I'm guessing the trick worked. She kind of laughed it off because she said, "What are they going to think when they see us there again, not even two weeks later
laugh.gif
."

Of course I feel bad for having to do that, but this system was a faulty one anyways. There was much more problems I had with it than just that damn screw. The bottom screen would blotch up if I pushed semi-hard in the top corners, the L and R buttons would not even recognize a push to them hardly, (it did that even before I opened up the DS). But yeah. Don't hate. D:

Brian117

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
vergilite said:
glad to see it kinda worked out for you (good idea mate
yay.gif
) lets hope your mum isn't a secret temper and reads this
laugh.gif

Hah. Thanks.

And no offense, but my mom doesn't even know how to type an address URL. She uses Google.

So her finding out about this is very very unlikely. But she could always have another computer professional side to her I don't know about.
ph34r.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end