Strike Witches Aozora no Dengekisen Shin Taichou Kentou Sutu

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by azerty1, Nov 27, 2009.

1. azerty1
    OP

Member azerty1 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    i thought doing a visual novel would be cool and i thought i would get to learn about compression and stuff. i didn't. the method to actually find and extract the text was actually 5 logical lines long. and three of them were just writing stuff to file...
    if anyone wants to pick this up, there isn't THAT much text, some 400 kbs of actual text...
    to work it, unpack the rom, put the .exe into NDS_UNPACK/data
    or just take out all the .scd files and throw them all into the same folder.
    if anyone wants to pick this up, pm me and i'll add the insert function.
    the rom itself is really really simple, from a haphazard glance. all the graphics are in the .bin files and everything is labelled with nice descriptive file names. I haven't tried testing anything yet since my computer's to slow to run a 256 Mb game on the no%, so i don't know about the font, but I do know that there are two files called "fontbase12.bin" and "fontbase14.bin", so I guess it shouldn't be hard to change it if need be. I'd actually recommend this game for beginners. You won't have to spend too much time looking for...anything, really...
    edit: nvm. the font is actually really pretty, as you can probably tell from the screenshot below, so you probably won't need to worry about that. i do not know about battle graphics or menus or stuff since i haven't actually played the game yet, but the files themselves look fairly simple.

here's the extractor:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?ek1zaggzmzt
    edit: just realized that i made a really stupid mistake in the inserter. i will fix it and reupload it sometime soon...

here's a spreadsheet:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ap...RDSFE&hl=en

2. pitman

Member pitman Addicted to Magical Girls

Israel
    Just say its about lolis with jets shooting aliens (and provide screenshot of the pants-less girls [​IMG] ) and you are guaranteed for someone to hop on this [​IMG] .

3. azure0wind

Member azure0wind 7 years flew so fast.

Indonesia
    thanks azerty1 [​IMG]
    thanks!!!

4. azerty1
    OP

Canada
    i actually have no clue what the game is other than the fact that it's a visual novel combined with strategy, which sounded mildly interesting to me...apparently it's based off of an anime, or something...there is a manga for it, i noticed, but whatever.
    i'll probably write the inserter anyway, since the last inserter i made was for zoids which was a class full of fail...i'll post it when i'm done...

5. azerty1
    OP

Canada
  6. XWolf

Member XWolf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Is this just an inserter; so that someone who speaks Japanese can translate it and use this to replace the game text...?

If so, kewl - who is up for it?

7. azerty1
    OP

Canada
    it has an extractor too. When you extract the files, you'll get a bunch of .txt with this format:

Length=
    blahblahblahblahblahblahthisisalltextandwhateverblahblahblahblah
    and etc.

do not change anything except for the text. and don't press 'enter', as in don't go down a line or anything. only edit the text.
    the inserter takes all the .txt files and plugs them back into the .scd files, so you'll have to make sure that the .txt files have the same names as the .scd files and all that stuffs...
    it's not a pretty gui like darthnemesis' stuff, since i'm a tad lazy, but it works. the instructions on the console itself are very clear, so you shouldn't really be capable of messing anything up.

8. xshinox

Member xshinox GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    [​IMG]

so are we guaranteed that translation like you say pitman?

9. synce

Member synce だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん

United States
    I'd be all over it if it was an original IP. Never liked games based on anime, or anime based on manga, etc

10. azerty1
    OP

Canada
    oh, darn...seems there's a larger problem than i thought...there's nothing wrong with my inserter, from what i can see, it replaces text perfectly and changes all the linelengths like it's supposed to, but for some reason, when i run it in the emulator, the scenes that are edited are skipped entirely...does anyone know if there's some common scene initialization routine that gets screwed up when bytes are moved around?