Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gallery_177066_262_53740.jpg

Street Fighter x Tekken, the latest fighting game crossover between Capcom and Namco Bandai, has drawn plenty of criticism for its large on-disc downloadable content. Now that content finally has a price tag: $20, or about 1600 Microsoft Points.

In a statement by Capcom community manager Brett Elston, he said, "I know many were worried past character pricing would push the cost of this update sky high, so I'm happy to say Blanka, Sakura, Guy, Cody, Elena, Dudley, Alisa, Bryan, Christie, Jack, Lars and Lei will not break the bank."

On a brighter note, Capcom has at least announced a slew of free content. Included are color packs for improved customization, Assist and Boost Gem packs, more gem slots, updated tournament support, and a replay analyzer.

The color packs are due out April 3rd, with the other content coming later on. You can also read ThugATRON's Street Fighter x Tekken review for a well rounded look at this latest fighting game.

:arrow: Source

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
For all of the characters, and considering the amount of free content offered, it actually does sound fairly reasonable.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For all of the characters, and considering the amount of free content offered, it actually does sound fairly reasonable.

But $20 for on-disc DLC? I pay half as much for off disc content on Borderlands that lasts me a long time. The game's content essentially costs $80, which is ridiculous.

Reactions: 7 people

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Look at it this way: they had no intention of releasing these characters as part of the original content anyways. On-disc or off, you were going to be paying for these. Now, would you rather pay $5 a character off-disc for a total of $60, or pay 1/3rd of the price knowing that the characters are already on the disc? You also have to look at the fact that this is a fighting game, and Borderlands is not. You may consider characters to not extend playtime greatly, but for those heavily interested, of which there are sure to be many, a group of 12 characters will extend game time by potentially hundreds of hours.

I'd say that the average person will be able to forgive them for doing this for such a large price cut.

cris92x

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mortal Kombat is the only fighting game "doing it right" with DLC
How was it done right? It was a huge mess, on top of that it was 20 dollars for 4 characters if you bought them when they came out.
How in the world does borderlands dlc last longer than a fighting game? If you have a local scene a fighting game will give 1000s of hours of gameplay. Honestly, I think capcom fumbled the ball again, I mean if this stuff wasn't on disc, it would have been amazing. Seriously everyone always wanted "super" edition of capcom fighting games through the dlc, the problem was that the japanese don't really accept dlc as other parts do. Also nobody wants to download 500mb+ patch for a new version that they aren't going to be allowed to play. I honestly, don't like the stupid bashing of capcom games when they single handedly revived the fighting game genre.
I paid hmm lets see probably around 200 dollars adjusted for inflation for sf2, sf2t and ssf2 for the snes. Seriously if you lived in the late 90s, you would know that every year a new version of capcom fighting games was coming out and you bought them because they were so fucking fun to play with friends and competitively. People didn't want to buy a new super edition for sfxt for 40 dollars and now we get it for 20 dollars as unlock code and poeple still gripe. I mean this whole situation is all capcom's fault if they had just left a few data missing or removed the extra stuff and released it as true "dlc" nobody would have known that everything was done before the release date. Honestly I think the real issue poeple should get pissed at is the fact that they told everyone about local co op and then after the release date the 360 version doesn't have it, It is even in the manual, I mean the extra characters and stuff aren't advertised when you bought the game, but local co op was.

D

Deleted User

Mortal Kombat is the only fighting game "doing it right" with DLC
How was it done right? It was a huge mess, on top of that it was 20 dollars for 4 characters if you bought them when they came out.
How in the world does borderlands dlc last longer than a fighting game? If you have a local scene a fighting game will give 1000s of hours of gameplay. Honestly, I think capcom fumbled the ball again, I mean if this stuff wasn't on disc, it would have been amazing. Seriously everyone always wanted "super" edition of capcom fighting games through the dlc, the problem was that the japanese don't really accept dlc as other parts do. Also nobody wants to download 500mb+ patch for a new version that they aren't going to be allowed to play. I honestly, don't like the stupid bashing of capcom games when they single handedly revived the fighting game genre.
I paid hmm lets see probably around 200 dollars adjusted for inflation for sf2, sf2t and ssf2 for the snes. Seriously if you lived in the late 90s, you would know that every year a new version of capcom fighting games was coming out and you bought them because they were so fucking fun to play with friends and competitively. People didn't want to buy a new super edition for sfxt for 40 dollars and now we get it for 20 dollars as unlock code and poeple still gripe. I mean this whole situation is all capcom's fault if they had just left a few data missing or removed the extra stuff and released it as true "dlc" nobody would have known that everything was done before the release date. Honestly I think the real issue poeple should get pissed at is the fact that they told everyone about local co op and then after the release date the 360 version doesn't have it, It is even in the manual, I mean the extra characters and stuff aren't advertised when you bought the game, but local co op was.
They were made after the game came out.

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol 20 dollars to unlock contend on game that you already pay money for

this is not DLC

is like they a giving you penalty for buying the game on a console seem how the vita version have the character already unlock

Reactions: 3 people

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
no, this is a rip off and you all know that. its not like the game is sold for a very low price that would justify it like that, you know? you dont pay 10 bucks for a cut version of the game cause all you want is the arcade mode. and you get the option to pay bit by bit until you make it to the full price and get the full content that was on your disk.

you pay the full price for a cut version and then you pay 1/3rd of the price again just to unlock whats already on the disk, for work that is already responsible for the full price tag.

the thing is, just because other genres made it 5$ per character doesnt make it any less of a ripoff when this costs only 20 per char.
in this case, this should all be part of the 60 bucks you paid to get the damn game in the first place

Reactions: 1 person

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nathan Drake has it right, they had no intention of not selling this content as DLC. It doesn't make a difference if it's on disc or off disc for them.
Would you honestly rather they have held back the content and sell each character for $5 each? (MvC3 Jill/Shuma as reference)
Not to mention cost of bandwidth for those with limited bandwidth.

It seems unfair because we're looking at it as consumers.
If we look at it from their standpoint then it's a good deal for us.
They were going to sell this content as DLC either way.
At least this way it saves people the hassle of needing to download compatibility files in the future.

That's another point actually. If this content wasn't on the disc, when it would get released everyone would have to download the files for compatibility reasons.
You'd still only be paying for an unlock key.

UMvC3 Vita has shared DLC with the PS3 version. It wouldn't surprise me if you could unlock the console DLC if you register the Vita game.

Reactions: 1 person

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
The only reason it is $20 (is that £20 too? i.e $40) is because they got found out.
Sure it is a better price but I won't be buying it. Capcom need to learn that this is not how DLC should be done. No one likes it and if you have more money than sense and buy it you are just lining a Capcom dev's pocket.

Originally the costumes were going to be $1 each. Are they free now or is it just the colours?
Yes COLOURS, the fact I even have to ask about this is total bs. To own the 'complete' game is going to end up costing way over £100.

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The only reason it is $20 (is that £20 too? i.e $40) is because they got found out.
Sure it is a better price but I won't be buying it. Capcom need to learn that this is not how DLC should be done. No one likes it and if you have more money than sense and buy it you are just lining a Capcom dev's pocket.

Originally the costumes were going to be $1 each. Are they free now or is it just the colours?
Yes COLOURS, the fact I even have to ask about this is total bs. To own the 'complete' game is going to end up costing way over £100.
To be fair, what would they learn if sales ended up poor?
To not put the content on the disc and sell it that way instead?
From their end it makes no difference if they sell an unlock key for on disc data for cheap or sell an unlock key for data you need to download from their servers for a higher price to make up server costs.
Because either way it's an unlock key since everyone will need the data one way or another, whether it's already there on disc or you're forced to download it all later on when it gets released to play online with people who own the DLC.

Let's say it wasn't on disc. What happens to people who buy the game after the DLC is released? They'd have a day 1 patch to download the DLC if they go online, but be unable to use the characters they were forced to download. Would you still feel ripped off then?
I'm confused if you so no because it wasn't on the disc, because you'd still be forced to download all that data. On top of that for anyone with a monthly bandwidth cap they've just been forced to waste a good chunk of it just to play online.

I get that to the consumer it seems terrible because the data is mostly already there, but to the developers they always intended to sell the additional content.
The only difference here is that we know about it beforehand instead of being ignorant of them holding it back for a later update.
So maybe this ends up poorly for Capcom. Next time they'll just hold the content back so no one will know about. Maybe sell a "Super" version for $40 again.
Great, what a victory for consumers.

Sorry Thug, that wasn't actually all aimed at you, just fell into a rant.
Just tired of people basically arguing semantics.

The DLC model is profitable because consumers made it profitable.
It's really not uncommon anymore for developers to work on content on the side or even have separate smaller teams working on it while working on the main game.
And if not the above then it's content cut out from the main game.
Either way this content will always have been intended as DLC.
Their decision when it's done is basically on whether to put it on the disc and sell it cheap or have you download it and sell it for more to cover the server costs.
If "include it into the final game since it's already done" was ever an option they'd never bother working on the DLC content in the first place because there would be no additional profit to be made.

In the end it's up to what the consumer thinks is worth their money.
In my opinion I couldn't care less if it's on disc or not, if it's something I like I'll pay a bit more for it.
Maybe the next game what I bought will be in it by default as a selling point because of how successful it was.
Does that sound a bit brainless? Maybe, but we've already made DLC a profitable model. I'll just do as I've always done.
Support what I like and shun what I don't.

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
Its more painful for Australian gamers though cause simply our games costs alot more than the rest of the world and the DLC may have the same price and I emphasize may because everything here costs alot more for no apparent reason so I'll assume naturally we'll be paying alot whole lot for just for something that al;ready exists on the disk, its this exact attitude that make people hate how the big companies conduct their business.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: +1