Street Fighter Collection announced, 12 game compilation for PS4/PC/XBO/Switch

The original Street Fighter game launched in 1987, which means this year is the series' 30th anniversary, and to celebrate, Capcom has announced that they will be packing together 12 games from the Street Fighter franchise, in one compilation pack. Included will be the following:

• Street Fighter
  • Street Fighter II
  • Street Fighter II: The New Challengers
  • Street Fighter II: Champion Edition
  • Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting
  • Street Fighter II: Turbo
  • Street Fighter: Alpha
  • Street Fighter Alpha 2
  • Street Fighter Alpha 3
  • Street Fighter III
  • Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact
  • Street Fighter: 3rd Strike

Street Fighter II, II Turbo, Alpha 3, and 3rd Strike will also feature online multiplayer as well. Street Fighter Collection will be releasing sometime in May 2018, for the Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PC, and Xbox One.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Relying on emulation is nothing short of lazy. I can actually understand in most instances of legacy collections. It just irks me when they say "HD" but it's just something we've had for years with upscaling and filters.
Native HD and Upscaling are two different things. They say HD because they actually support HD resolutions. So they are not lying. There Emulators that do not upscale but increase internal resolution.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Native HD and Upscaling are two different things. They say HD because they actually support HD resolutions. So they are not lying. There Emulators that do not upscale but increase internal resolution.

Still emulation and not native.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Still emulation and not native.
Dolphin is emulation too yet you can increase internal resolution. Dolphin outputting 1080p looks sharper than Wii being upscaled on a 1080p HD tv.

Are you talking about difference between ports and emulators. Or about the difference on Upscaling and increasing resolution. Im confused.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
How do we know it's emulation? All I keep hearing is "port", which is not the same. Source that it's emulation and not a port? Mega Man X collection on Gamecube wasn't emulation either.

Never said the collection itself was emulation OR port. Just that emulation is still emulation. :P

Regarding the game itself? I don't care. Probably gonna pick it up anyway just to relive my childhood a little bit.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never said the collection itself was emulation OR port. Just that emulation is still emulation. :P

Regarding the game itself? I don't care. Probably gonna pick it up anyway just to relive my childhood a little bit.

Glad it's only 40 dollars, as confirmed by Capcom's website, no way would I pay 60 :P

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It's still somewhat misleading because it's still basically upscaling, even if the scaling is done by the framebuffer. This is how basically all PC emulator work - ever notice how your PC doesn't switch to 320x240 when running an old game? It's using a higher resolution framebuffer, but it would be misleading to call that HD. But as 2D games, it's not really fesible to redraw all the assets in HD anyway.

I'm with @Memoir, there's no need to refer to these as 'HD'. At best, it doesn't mean anything.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
It's still somewhat misleading because it's still basically upscaling, even if the scaling is done by the framebuffer. This is how basically all PC emulator work - ever notice how your PC doesn't switch to 320x240 when running an old game? It's using a higher resolution framebuffer, but it would be misleading to call that HD. But as 2D games, it's not really fesible to redraw all the assets in HD anyway.

I'm with @Memoir, there's no need to refer to these as 'HD'. At best, it doesn't mean anything.
True for 2D games since sprites have fixed resolutions. 2D emulators like Higan and Nestopia can only upscale. But 3D games can increase internal resolution, like with Dolphin, making games actual HD.

Memoir said HD is something we had with upscaling and filters. Which is not true since upscaling is not HD resolution. Upscaling stretches image, increasing internal resolution does not stretch since your actually getting more pixels. Scaling and Rendering at higher resolutions are 2 different things.

When I said HD I was mostly talking about 3D rendered games not 2D. It doesn't make sense for them to say HD for 2D sprite games. Unless they redraw them in HD like you said. But for 3D games it does make sense to say HD.

Last edited by SG854,

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Yeah, it's a good deal, glad I didn't get that HD ultra game or whatever it was, too expensive for what it had.
While I do not think the Ultra HD set was very good at all, it's not included in this set so the release isn't now redundant. This appears to be literally the arcade games in a bundle.

I think the online play will be the main selling point for fans.

True for 2D games since sprites have fixed resolutions. 2D emulators like Higan and Nestopia can only upscale. But 3D games can increase internal resolution, like with Dolphin, making games actual HD.

Memoir said HD is something we had with upscaling and filters. Which is not true since upscaling is not HD resolution. Upscaling stretches image, increasing internal resolution does not stretch since your actually getting more pixels. Scaling and Rendering at higher resolutions are 2 different things.

When I said HD I was mostly talking about 3D rendered games not 2D. It doesn't make sense for them to say HD for 2D sprite games. Unless they redraw them in HD like you said. But for 3D games it does make sense to say HD.

Sorry, misinterpreted. As you said, upscaling should never be counted as 'HD'. It should be about the rendered resolution, not the output resolution.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM