Gaming Stream video from PC to WiiU via Internet browser?

DiscostewSM

OP
Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
For some time, I handled my video/music library streaming through WiiMC, but now that I have a WiiU replacing my Wii in my main room, I have to find some other method for such streaming. I remember vaguely about streaming through the Wii's Internet Browser from a computer years ago, but it didn't work too well because of the Wii's limitations. Is there anything like that now that could be used for the WiiU?

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
one of my friends just threw something together , it's a php server file just save the text as video.php on a running server and put compatible videos in a folder named Videos in the same folder as the php. then in the wii u browser go to youripl.video.php
http://pastebin.com/WuJkR7WS
if someone finds something that works better let me know, so far i tested many standard definition scene releases in the x264/aac/mp4 format the web browser supports and they've all played perfectly.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Software like Orb, PlayOn or TVersity are built for this task. All have free versions available to try. There's also Plex, which I think has a Web player, but I'm not completely sure. The others can all stream to browsers. No idea how well they'd work, only played with one or two of them briefly.

DiscostewSM

OP
Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Software like Orb, PlayOn or TVersity are built for this task. All have free versions available to try. There's also Plex, which I think has a Web player, but I'm not completely sure. The others can all stream to browsers. No idea how well they'd work, only played with one or two of them briefly.

Orb was the one I recall using years back. I'll have to give each of those a try and see what works.

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i can confirm that the web-browser can even play 1080p flawlessly as long as you convert the blu-rays to the correct format first.
most online video is already in the correct format with only the audio needing converting.
not that impressive for a next gen system, but quite decent for a console browser.

DiscostewSM

OP
Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't use Orb. I tried streaming the movie Salt to my TV, and my ISP gave me shit, claiming I was sharing it with others.

Well, I tried it nonetheless, but it didn't work because none of the formats were supported. The Wii could work with Flash as it does have some support, whereas the WiiU has none whatsoever.

Haven't given Playon a try yet, and TVersity doesn't seem to have a trial version.

As for VLC, the farthest I got to actual streaming was being able to broadcast the stream on my network in a MPEG-TS container with h.264-encoded video. Audio was missing it seemed, even when designated for MPEG Audio. MP3, AAC, and some other formats would crash VLC. I'm hoping to get this working if the commercial options aren't enough, and perhaps even to a point of setting up Video-On-Demand instead of using Broadcast mode.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
TVersity allows you to download the full version for free and use it as long as you like before paying for it, trusting that users who enjoy it will indeed purchase it. At least, this is how it was the last time I looked. It may have changed since then.

dmillerzx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any chance the Wii U can be used as a DLNA client and connect up to PS3 Media Server or Universal Media server? Would love to use my Wii U for streaming and not have to heat my entire apartment up streaming to a PS3 Phat -_-

DiscostewSM

OP
Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
TVersity allows you to download the full version for free and use it as long as you like before paying for it, trusting that users who enjoy it will indeed purchase it. At least, this is how it was the last time I looked. It may have changed since then.

On their website, their latest version is 2.3, and both Basic and Pro versions require a license key, which costs money. I believe 1.9.6 was a version that was free, so perhaps I have to go looking around for that particular one.

Any chance the Wii U can be used as a DLNA client and connect up to PS3 Media Server or Universal Media server? Would love to use my Wii U for streaming and not have to heat my entire apartment up streaming to a PS3 Phat -_-

I have no idea if it is or isn't. Supposedly, the Wii is DNLA-compliant, so one could assume the WiiU is also.

Well, I finally got a true stream working through VLC. Of all the audio formats I tried, AAC was the only one to work. MP3, MPEG Audio, etc would generate no audio on the WiiU, even though accessing the stream on my computer would output it. However, it appears that version 2.0.4 of VLC would crash when trying to create the stream (on Windows 8 x64). I tried out 2.0.3, and that seems to work. Now that I have a stream working in broadcast mode, it is time to attempt VOD mode.

Theconejo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I was asking this before launch and even now I don't have an answer. I'll be watching this topic to see if anything comes up, then when I open it after christmas I will be ready to go. In a previous topic I posted about this most of the people were recommending running a server that you can access through the browser, same as many are doing here. So as of now, no new information for DLNA streaming.

Funny when you buy a present for yourself from your wife....

crono141

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The WiiU has no support for flash, so most of the typical streaming options won't work. What you need to find is one that works on html5, as the WiiU is awesome at it. Audio does indeed need to be AAC or ogg, I think.

9thSage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it has HTML5, why not try Grooveshark's HTML5-compatible site?

http://html5.grooveshark.com
It doesn't play anything, presumably the WiiU doesn't support whatever format it's trying to use.

*edit*
Oh yeah...to whoever said 'Plex'....it requires an extension that WiiU doesn't support. It's evidently only supported in Safari (some sort of HTML5 video extension that deals with streaming video on the fly, don't know if it's standard).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM