Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin gets a release date in new TGS trailer

Back during E3 2021, Square Enix revealed a new Final Fantasy spinoff game. The hack-n-slash styled game, titled Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin would feature Team Ninja as a developer and would go on to spawn memes due to the number of times characters said the word chaos during its short teaser. Now that it's been a few months, and thanks to the ongoing Tokyo Games Show 2021, we've got a better look at the game and some new information. Cinematics, story, characters, and gameplay are all shown off in a three-minute trailer, along with when fans can expect to play the game. Strange of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin will launch on March 18, 2022, for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and PC via the Epic Games Store.

Reactions: Mama Looigi

GBADWB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Final Fantasy Origin"

For some reason I feel there is some kind of contradiction here.
you mean oxymoron?

as the game is what it suggest, given that Garland(FF1 Antagonist) is an active character of the game, making the suffix Origin probably accurate.

Plazorn

GBAtemp’s Dragon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Back during E3 2021, Square Enix revealed a new Final Fantasy spinoff game. The hack-n-slash styled game, titled Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin would feature Team Ninja as a developer and would go on to spawn memes due to the number of times characters said the word chaos during its short teaser. Now that it's been a few months, and thanks to the ongoing Tokyo Games Show 2021, we've got a better look at the game and some new information. Cinematics, story, characters, and gameplay are all shown off in a three-minute trailer, along with when fans can expect to play the game. Strange of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin will launch on March 18, 2022, for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and PC via the Epic Games Store.

This looks beautiful, the only thing I am worried about is that it’s Koel Tecmo, I am not sure it’s a good combo. And why is it age restricted? I did not see anything naughty once I signed in. Otherwise it looks awesome, I will probably get it once the price goes down.

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just watched the trailer. Looks good.

Surprised there is no mentioning of Chaos within the trailer unless I missed it somehow. :lol:

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Well if nothing else, Squeenix is making it easy for me to decide which of their games to buy and which to pirate these days.
I see it like this: Epic is funding PC ports, and those PC ports come to Steam eventually. So I appreciate them making it a bit more...enticing for publishers to bring their stuff to PC, and all I as a consumer have to do, is wait 6 months to get the real version of the game.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I see it like this: Epic is funding PC ports, and those PC ports come to Steam eventually. So I appreciate them making it a bit more...enticing for publishers to bring their stuff to PC, and all I as a consumer have to do, is wait 6 months to get the real version of the game.
Was there ever any real doubt that Square was gonna bring these games to PC regardless? It's a customer base far larger than any individual console, and prior to EGS launching they had almost their entire modern library on Steam anyway.

On the bright side: the moneyhat Epic offers is enough that publishers/developers don't have to worry about early sales numbers, so they're a lot less likely to use Denuvo. It truly is as though they've already bought and paid for a few million pirated copies, and that has the added benefit of keeping EGS perpetually in the red. I gotta believe they'll get tired of setting money on fire eventually, but who knows.

Reactions: felix.200

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Final Fantasy Origins, yeah. Neo TWEWY? Maybe not. Kingdom Hearts? Wouldn't have guessed that one ever.
FF spin-offs started hitting Steam in 2019 with Dissidia and World of Final Fantasy. And Origin I think is kinda in a grey area between spin-off and mainline game anyway, considering all the similarities with FF14/15. Kingdom Hearts though I can agree might not have seen a PC release without a mountain of cash to entice them. A large chunk of it probably had to go to Disney, after all.

Last edited by Xzi,

Zajumino

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you mean oxymoron?

as the game is what it suggest, given that Garland(FF1 Antagonist) is an active character of the game, making the suffix Origin probably accurate.
Well, you see, now that there is an 'Origin' they cannot make another game called "Final Fantasy" that takes place before this one, because that would be contradictory. Instead, they would have to call it "Second -to-Last Fantasy" or something like that. But they would never make a game with such a lame title, which means that Final Fantasy is the first, last, and only Fantasy. From this, we can conclude that the 'Final' in "Final Fantasy" is unnecessary, and also misleading, since it implies that there is at least one "Fantasy" that came before. In other words, the series should just be called "Fantasy" from now on.

And before you criticize me for spewing nonsense, remember that everything I say makes no less sense than the (former) title of this video game series.

I hope this was confusing. Have a nice day. :moogle:

1c4rus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Hope it's going to be well polished at launch so that I can get it even $10 less thanks to Epic's generous $10 coupons. But if not this I'll definately picking FF7R B-)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"