Strange WiiRemote Problems..

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Hiroshi21, Nov 11, 2011.

Nov 11, 2011
  1. Hiroshi21
    OP

Member Hiroshi21 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I had an Energizer induction charging power and play thing, and for a while my wiiremote was working fine, now for some reason when I use it, the lights start out great, and then fade, and the wii remote motion thing, the cursor I mean, disappears from the screen. I can press buttons just fine, but the wii remote cursor and any motion control functionality just stops. I put the remote on the charger until the light indicator shows green, and the lights and motion control work again. The same symptoms occur with AA batteries as well. The cursor will just up and disappear and all motion controls cease, while button presses, and attached nunchuck, or classic controller work just fine.. I'm at a loss, I have no idea what's wrong, or what to do.

2. Coto

Member Coto GBAtemp Addict

Chile
    Maybe a fake wiimote? Why don't you try another (newer) cios? At base 56 or 38.

3. Hiroshi21
    OP

United States
    It's not a fake wiiremote, these symptoms are new, this is the remote that came with my Wii. Not certain it's a Wii issue either.. I have a sinking possibility I fried my wii remote when my induction charger quit working on me. :/

4. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    The cIOS shouldn't have any affect on it. Sounds like it's just defective.

5. Coto

Chile
    If you mention both nunchuck and classic controller (supposing they're original) are working fine, but wiimotion+ fades along the internal IR wiimote sensor, then something inside must have been fried, say, the internal wiimote's IR. You could always try another sensor bar just in case, or another wiimote on the same sensor bar.

Maybe there are guides in google which may help you replacing the internal wiimote IR led...

edit: or a blown capacitor (the one dedicated to feed with continuous voltage a target hardware)

6. Hiroshi21
    OP

United States
    Yeah, I charge the wiimote, and throw in fresh batteries, and the motion sensoring is fine, the lights on the wiimote fade to nothing, and that's when I start getting IR problems, the button presses work fine, the remote syncs ok, I put it back on the induction charger until the light indicator is green, and bang, it works ok, but the lights always fade, even when the wiimote has full power, and the IR controls begin the fudge. It's also worth noting that I CAN play Classic Controller only games without issue, it's just that motion sensing that screws up.

The way the charger works is that it pumps power into the battery pack when it sits ontop of the charging plate, but the battery pack needs to be IN the wiimote, and the wiimote sits ontop of it. I voltage surge from the induction charger to the Wiimote might've fried something inside, which is what I'm thinking might've happened, since the offending batterypack no longer works, but the second battery pack does, but with the fading wii lights, leading to motion control/cursor disappearing issues.

This is what it looks like.

[​IMG]

I've recently had issues with it overcharging, or stating that the pack was charged, BEFORE it was fully charged.

7. Coto

Chile
    Yes, if you have fading-out like, wiimote lights with AA batteries, wiimote's custom batteries, etc there's something wrong with seems like, a dead capacitor (condenser). A wiimote my gf has lying around (and original btw) experiences this same sympthom. It'll work IR wiimote's camera, plugged controllers, but lights will fade away as soon as the batteries begin to lose their charge. By looking them extremely close at a dark place I could notice the lights were on but barely, not noticeable like any other normal wiimote.

It won't turn on with any kind of AA batteries (this means, even syncing with Wii). They must be a well known brand like duracell or high mAh batteries (2800mAh if memory serves right..).

8. Hiroshi21
    OP

United States
    Thanks Coto, we're just going to buy a pair of replacement wiimotes.

9. Lucif3r

Member Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    If the batteries have been overcharged etc there is a chance the Wiimote have taken damage.
    Thats why I always remove my battery before charging it.

10. Hiroshi21
    OP

United States
    Yeah that's the design flaw with my induction charger, it won't charge without the batteries being in the Wii Remote. If I get rechargeables, I'll get a set that isn't for gaming that requires the batteries being in the Wii remote.

11. Lucif3r

Member Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    Thats weird. All induction chargers Ive looked at can charge the batteries without them being in any controller. To be honest, I fail to see WHY it would have to be inserted... :/

I should point out though, I dont have an induction charged myself, I just got a battery pack in which I plug a USB cable in.

12. Coto

Chile
    Or find a replacement capacitor as similar as the one found inside the wiimote. And solder it, shouldn't be that hard as there are just 2 points to solder.