Strange "The hardware is not compatible” problem

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by dave17, May 29, 2008.

May 29, 2008
  1. dave17
    OP

Newcomer dave17 Newbie

Canada
    I am having some very strange problems with my R4. I can’t get past this “The hardware is not compatible” message no matter what I try.

- I have an english DS and an english R4
    - I have a 1gig kingston micro SD card

The strange thing is that it worked the very first time, but hasn’t worked since. I downloaded kernel 1.18 and put the contents (_system_ folder, moonshl folder, _DS_MSHL.NDS, _DS_MENU.DAT) into the root folder of the SD card. I put this in the R4 and into the DS and it seemed to work ok. I was able to navigate through the folders. Afterwards I turned it off to put a game on it. I made a folder called “games” in the root folder of the SD card and put a European version of Super Mario 64 on there. I put it back in the DS and I only got the “The hardware is not compatible” message.

I formatted the SD card and put the 1.18 kernel back on (no game this time), but I still got the same error. I have searched forums and done what some of them suggested. I tried different kernels (1.11, 1.13, 1.15, english, korean and french) but still got the same error. Every time I tried a new kernel I would format the SD card and then eject it safely so there would be no corruptions. I still can’t get past this “The hardware is not compatible” error!

After trying different things, here are some more symptoms:
    - If I put the R4 in the DS without the SD card it will say “Couldn’t find the SD/TF card”
    - If I put the R4 in the DS with an empty SD card it will say it cannot find _DS_MENU.DAT.
    - If I put the R4 in the DS with the 1.18 kernel on the SD card then it will say “The hardware is not compatible” so the hardware seems to be loading the SD card and find the boot file alright.

I am not doing anything stupid, I watched a 10 minute youtube movie of someone installing it from scratch and I followed the exact same steps. Is there any idea of what is wrong? Is it a hardware problem?

2. krazykirk

Member krazykirk GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    I'm not 100% sure, but it is most likely a hardware problem with your R4.

Do original retail games work? If they do, you can rule out that it is your DS.

You have already ruled out your SD card, and the contents of it, and also you have tried every version of the firmware, so the only remaining problem could be with your R4.

Good luck!

(Oh and WELL DONE FOR USING THE SEARCH BUTTON!! and doing reserach too! [​IMG])

3. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    This sort of thing could be caused by a broken connection in the cart. The region and cart version (M3 Simply vs. R4) are each set by a single solder connection. If one of those connections broke, the cart could literally change identities.

Try the Chinese loader, and the M3 Simply loader (both English and Chinese).

4. AKRATO

Newcomer AKRATO Newbie

Chile
    YO TENGO EL MISMO PROBLE AL IGUAL K VARIOS , E ECHO TODO AL IGUAL QUE DAVE, YO KREO K ES UN VIRUS VA RECONOSIENDO LAS ACTUALIZACIONES Y DESPUES SALE EL ERROR DE NO COMPATIBLE. AMI ME APARECIO DESDE QUE LEV EMPESE A METER LAS APLIKACIONES CASERAS, SI ALGUIEN SABE ALPO ´PORFA AYUDENOS A TODOS

5. Raestloz

Member Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

Indonesia
    sometimes English is better than your mother's languange. It applies here, sorry