Hardware Strange small smashed area on corner of the top screen

Biovirulent

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My N3DSXL got dropped accidentally and now the lower left corner of the top screen has a bunch of "dead"-ish pixels, but the strange thing is that it sometimes fades and gets smaller, lessening the black pixels, but it also sometimes gets larger, expanding and covering more area of the corner of the screen. I don't quite understand what triggers the expansion and contraction of these "dead" or black pixels, but it's an annoyance nonetheless. Recently I accidentally dropped it again and the area moved ever so slightly to the right, leaving a part of the area where the "dead" or black pixels were, normal again.
I don't know if it would, but it started getting larger than usual lately, not dropping it at all and I was wondering if anyone ever had a similar problem, and if there's any way to fix or quell it from expanding?

proflayton123

The Temp Loaf'
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Japan
My N3DSXL got dropped accidentally and now the lower left corner of the top screen has a bunch of "dead"-ish pixels, but the strange thing is that it sometimes fades and gets smaller, lessening the black pixels, but it also sometimes gets larger, expanding and covering more area of the corner of the screen. I don't quite understand what triggers the expansion and contraction of these "dead" or black pixels, but it's an annoyance nonetheless. Recently I accidentally dropped it again and the area moved ever so slightly to the right, leaving a part of the area where the "dead" or black pixels were, normal again.
I don't know if it would, but it started getting larger than usual lately, not dropping it at all and I was wondering if anyone ever had a similar problem, and if there's any way to fix or quell it from expanding?

I'd personally say a repair on the top screen

DanTheMan827

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't send it in to Nintendo, I have A9LH installed.
You could always try installing the latest in development version of A9LH which can boot without a SD card...

You could also try this:
  • Purchase field runners and install the hacked save
  • Using the system settings, copy the DSIWare app to your SD card
  • Uninstall A9LH...
  • If Nintendo replaces the 3DS with a completely different system they should have also transferred the data from the broken one (including field runners and the hack)
Mind you, doing the second method would require that you re-install A9LH once you get your system back from repair...

You could also use a combination of the above... that way if they just replace the screen you still have A9LH... if they replace the system you can still downgrade whatever version thanks to field runners...

Mind you, I don't know if anyone has tested this on an actual repair so this is just speculation...

Last edited by DanTheMan827,

Biovirulent

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe... but this isn't anything worth a repair over I would think, it's a small area on the corner of the screen, and it's mostly a minor annoyance. I was just wondering if anyone had a similar problem.

While using the 3ds, it almost seems as if playing it for an extended period of time causes it to expand, and not using it causes it to retract.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Got a picture?
It's just a guess, but from the sound of it, it sounds like something got moved out of its correct position when you dropped the console (maybe a ribbon cable), and it's pressing on the corner of the screen slightly, or the screen itself got moved out of the correct position. If so then opening the top half of the console and repositioning everything should solve the problem.
It's also possible that the screen got damaged and you need to replace it.

Biovirulent

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got a picture?
It's just a guess, but from the sound of it, it sounds like something got moved out of its correct position when you dropped the console (maybe a ribbon cable), and it's pressing on the corner of the screen slightly, or the screen itself got moved out of the correct position. If so then opening the top half of the console and repositioning everything should solve the problem.
It's also possible that the screen got damaged and you need to replace it.

Everything else is working fine, so a ribbon cable shouldn't be the problem, right? I thought the ribbon cable was a really important piece.
The picture I have doesn't show it in good detail, but a few of the pixels in that little area are visible, so it's not completely black.
(Also the picture is backwards, hope that isn't a problem, lol)
46bacad395.jpg

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Everything else is working fine, so a ribbon cable shouldn't be the problem, right? I thought the ribbon cable was a really important piece.
The picture I have doesn't show it in good detail, but a few of the pixels in that little area are visible, so it's not completely black.
46bacad395.jpg
That looks a lot like the corner has a very small hairline crack in it, so small you can't actually see the crack itself.

Reactions: Biovirulent

Biovirulent

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That looks a lot like the corner has a very small hairline crack in it, so small you can't actually see the crack itself.

So what's this mean for the crack itself? Like I said, the black area occasionally expands and retracts, so is this something to be worried about in this moment in time?

DanTheMan827

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what's this mean for the crack itself? Like I said, the black area occasionally expands and retracts, so is this something to be worried about in this moment in time?

If it doesn't bother you I wouldn't worry about it...

Otherwise, your only option is to replace the screen (if it is in fact a crack)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
My guess is that because that area of the screen has been weakened, due to the crack the LCD screen glass (or plastic) is no longer holding together the way it's supposed to, making it a bit "wobbly", and it's pressing on the liquid crystal inside, the area that is being pressed on by the screen glass is what you see as a black splotch, and when the screen glass "wobbles" the splotch can grow or shrink in size. If the crack develops further the splotch would increase in size permanently but I wouldn't worry about it for the moment. Be careful not to drop the console again though as it might cause the crack to grow.

Biovirulent

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My guess is that because that area of the screen has been weakened, due to the crack the LCD screen glass (or plastic) is no longer holding together the way it's supposed to, making it a bit "wobbly", and it's pressing on the liquid crystal inside, the area that is being pressed on by the screen glass is what you see as a black splotch, and when the screen glass "wobbles" the splotch can grow or shrink in size. If the crack develops further the splotch would increase in size permanently but I wouldn't worry about it for the moment. Be careful not to drop the console again though as it might cause the crack to grow.

All right, thank you for your help.
I never try to drop it, haha. Just gravity doing it's thing...
And being a little clumsy.

Zyteus

Dredgen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
46bacad395.jpg
That would drive me completely insane.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    @SylverReZ Never heard of tiger crust. What is it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Its known as tiger bread, also known as dutch crust.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's fuggin gooooood
    +1
    I mean. Whats different about it?
    Never even seen a tiger crust pizza in any stores around here. Walmart, Cub, or otherwise.
    Must be a regional thing.
    Gonna smoke this bowl then go get kitties ashes. <3
    Last thing I told her is how much I love her, and that Im not leaving her there forever and I promise to come back and take her back home with me.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    halllo
  • Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit:
    hello, anyone is able to create cheat patches for cemu? i have a simple request if anyone can help
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Rest in piece. Hope she rests well, and that she loves you too. :sad:
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @RedColoredStars, Rest in piece. Hope she rests well, and that she loves you too. :sad: