Strange Problem with Two Wiis

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Servdogg, Jan 29, 2010.

Jan 29, 2010
  1. Servdogg
    OP

Member Servdogg GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have a modded wii that works great. I'm on 4.1U and have emulators and DVDs playing fine through mplayerce. I can install 70 wads in a row and will never crash.

I recently modded my brother's wii with the exact process i used to modify mine and updated him as well to 4.1U. For some reason, the same apps that work great on my wii always crash on his. The apps that don't work include the Snes, GBA, and Nes emulators, and mplayerce. The emulators will boot up, but will freeze generally within 10-15 seconds of starting. Also, wad manager will install two or three wads on my brothers wii and then freeze during the install of a wad requiring a hard reboot of the system.

At first I thought perhaps my bros sd card was messed up, but I tried his sd card in my wii and everything works fine. When I put my sd card in my bros wii, everything starts to crash again. So it seems like the sd card itself cannot be the cause.

This makes me think the problem is perhaps in the sd card reading hardware itself in my brothers wii, and thus nothing I can do would resolve this issue, apart from swapping hardware.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has other ideas I could try to fix my brothers wii, or if anyone else has experienced a similar issue with many homebrew apps crashing for no reason on certain wiis and working fine on others.

2. Servdogg
    OP

Member Servdogg GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I just installed some imbedded emulator wads on my brothers wii, and the SNES, NES, and GBA emulators now function properly. So it appears the problem only occurs with the emulators that are forwarders and not the ones that are embedded.

And when I try to run emulators through my brother's homebrew channel directly, these predictably also freeze.

Curiously though, a forwarder of Genplusgx(rev255) seems to work okay and the forwarder of sms v1.3 also works.

And also, I can play wiiware off of my bros sd menu just fine.

Any help is appreciated