Strange Font issue with USBLoader (and other util's)

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by resincake, Aug 21, 2009.

1. resincake
    OP

Member resincake GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Hi,

I have been using Wiigator's Gamma 0.3 (and more recently Neogamma {latest}), along with USBLoader_CFG v40 atm, for a while, without any major issues which I couldn't fix or get around myself.

However, I booted up USBLoader (CFG v40) this morning and all looked ok, when displaying the 3D covers (Coverflow style), but when I pressed 'B' to go to the text menu of titles, installed on my HD, there was nothing there, as if the text was either invisible of the font used no longer exists?!? . I tried pressing '1' to get to the options, so that I could try a different theme, but they too were invisible or non-existant (ie./blank). The heading text (select game to load) is there and all covers, background images are in place too. It is just the text for menu items, and options, etc.. In 3D coverflow mode the text of each game is there too. strange.

Anyhow, I figured that somehow my USBLoader must have gotten corrupt, so I installed a different version of USBLoader_CFG (The newest actually v40- {I was on v34 before that}), and when I went into WAD Manager to install a forwarder for it, I got past the screen to press 'A' for IOS Selection, etc.. but upon arriving onto the list of WADS, they were all there, but when I scrolled down, they text didn't change, as if my selection wasn't moving. I carried on pressing down until the page should have changed, and new items should be displayed, and they did, but only the bottom line of text (ie./ the newest item to appear on the page), the rest of the WADs were exactly the same as when I first arrived at the WAD list. Like the wad menu was not being updated. (I presumed it is the same problem as the text menu in USBLoader, which made me think a font issue, and not the USBLoader itself.)

Anyway, I proceeded to forget the forwarder and run the new USBLoader_CFG v40 via HBC and the exact same problem occurs. The Covers show fine and the game name appears ok in coverflow mode, but again, when going to the menu mode, no game names just a blank menu, yet if I press A to start game (Using the covers to locate ther game I want) it boots up fine.

Can anyone help with this issue, or have any ideas what could be causing this ? Font missing perhaps, are there fonts somewhere on the Wii that I can check ? I'm at a loss, please help..

I am using 3.2e, with cIOS rev14. I havent installed anything new (utils) for ages, this problem just kinda occured. I have tried some new games but thats about it.

thanks

2. resincake
    OP

United Kingdom
    *bump*

Anyone? Any ideas would be appreciated.

As an update, i have noticed I have issues with a great deal of homebrew software. Its like sometimes the text that is supposed to be there isn't, but the previous text remains when it should have been cleared and updated with new text, in whatever application I am using.

I am guessing now it is something to do with my Wii File System. Is there anyway to restore this? I have no current Nand backup or anything.

Is there an app that will allow you to reset your Wii File System to its default values? Preferably without mesing with current IOS's, mIOS & Menu revision (ie./ Would prefer to keep 3.2e).

Please, any suggestions from anyone who as any knowledge on the Wii, would be greatly appreciated.. :

3. Dr. Clipper

Member Dr. Clipper GBAtemp Addict

Australia
    You could try formatting the Wii via the Wii Menu. Make sure you copy all your saves off first using Savegame Manager or something so that you can restore them afterwards.

4. bdr9

Member bdr9 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    NO! I don't know what you're thinking Dr. Clipper. DON'T FORMAT YOUR WII. I don't know what to tell you about the font problem though.

5. zektor

Member zektor GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I would suggest dumping 3.2e honestly. The best way to get "fresh" would be:

1. Update your wii to v4.1e via the normal update method

2. When done, format the wii using the wii menu (yes, after the update this WILL be safe)

3. Bannerbomb, TBR, and install cIOS

4. Try your apps again

Something is corrupt somewhere, but the update and then subsequent format will bring the wii *right* back to factory stock.....you'll even have to set the clock/etc like you did when you first purchased it!

6. Dr. Clipper

Australia
    While I do prefer zektor's method of upgrading to 4.1 first, what exactly is wrong with just formatting? Unless you installed something stupid like cIOSCORP you should be fine, and it seems he didn't from his post. I probably should have added to make a backup with BootMii as boot2 if possible before starting.

7. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    I don't think formating can solve anything, cause it only erases the everything installed by you, so if something is corrupt or wrong in the SysMenu itself, it wont be fixed, so your best shoot would be to update to 4.1 (method is really up to you) and then if you like just downgrade back to 3.2, altough I was a fan and lover of 3.2, and then realized that 4.1 starts the System faster than 3.2, so I been on 4.1 since I decided to "TEST" the FW [​IMG], first you should also try to reformat your SD, it can be corrupted too and hence you fire away all your apps from there...!!! [​IMG]

8. zektor

United States

Well, I have received Wii units (as you can tell from that statement, I work on a few) that I have tried to flat out format and it would completely brick the system. Of course I take the necessary precautions first and boot2 backup (and if I cannot I am even more careful), and who knows what these former owners installed to allow this to happen...but I assure you that it does. I am guessing it has to do with modifying the sysmenu with things like preloader. When you perform the internal system format, it just does not know how to restore the modified sysmenu and thus the brick. At least that is my guess. It of course could be cIOSCORP or other like packages that cause the format brick as well. I do however know for a fact that updating via online update first and then formatting has never let me down, so it's really the only method I can recommend. You can even immediately back up that super clean (new out of the box) nand immediately after the system shuts down after the format....and you'll end up with a nand that will restore the wii right to the setup screens [​IMG]

On another note, why stay at 3.2e anyway? There is absolutely no point to do so in this day and age.

9. Dr. Clipper

Australia
    Unless you're paranoid of the "We can update your Wii at any time without your consent" clause [​IMG] .

10. zektor

United States

Well, you always have bootmii and startpatch to battle that [​IMG]

11. resincake
    OP

United Kingdom
    Ok, I think I'm gonna do the FUpdate to 4.1, then Format and backup NAND method.

I otriginally used TwilightHack to Mod my wii, is there a recommended guide for the Bannerbomb method that you'd recommend.

Thanks for the suggestions, I am going to proceed with this On thursaday when i have a full day to do it .. :>

12. resincake
    OP

United Kingdom
    Edit : Ok, I have just upgraded my Wii to 4.1 via the settings menu, and then I formatted the system memory, followed immediately by running bannerbomb 1.08. I used bannerbomb to boot hackmii Beta 3, and instaledd Bootmii, DVDx & the Homebrew Channel. After that I installed cIOS 249 r14 & mIOS (v8). I then did a Nand Backup (just in case). Next, I installed IOS60Patched.wad (for Wiiware off my SD Card), and proceeded to install startpatch 4.1, Neogamma r7 (with forwarder), GC Backup Launcher (with forwarder) and USBLoader_cfg v41 (With forwarder).

Now I can still play my backups (Wii & GC), my External HD (Via USBLoader) & play wiiware/VC Wads off my SD Card. All seems to be working perfectly. Oh, and my originbal text problem is fixed too.. :>

Thanks for the suggestions in this thread, I am really pleased I upgraded to 4.1 now, it does seem to start quicker as well. And if there is anyone out there still not sure if they shouild upgrade to 4.1, and if it will affect anything, then just follow the step-by-step actions I took (above), it is very easy, and well worth it (I think).

Thanks again everyone .. :>

p.s. I didn't install the Trucha restorer app, or downgrade IOS35 like some guides suggest, and the games (backups) & WADs I have tried all seem, to work fine. Do I need to do either of those (trucha restorer or Downgrade IOS35?)? And if so, what will it do that I cant atm?

:>

p.s You ppl rock !!