Storing Homebrew Apps, Gamecube & Wii Backups on a single EHD

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Grimat, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Grimat
    OP

Grimat Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2011
    I am forever losing SD cards, and thought it would be a far more practical approach to store all my homebrew applications, Wii and Gamcube on a single EHD. I am using Nintendont for Gamecube backups as I am using the vWii on the Wii U.

Anyway I am using a Seagate 2TB expansion drive to store backups, and have created a 100GB FAT32 Partition to store Homebrew apps (USB Loader GX, and Nintendont), and Gamecube backups. I then have the rest of the drive formatted to NTFS for the Wii Backups. I would use FAT32 for Wii backup except I have games over 4GB.

When I plug the EHD in and select USB drive from the homebrew channel the console crashes. Also when I load Nintendont from an SD card it says "FAT Device not detected". However USB Loader GX can successfully load the Wii games when I launch it from an SD card.

Is it possible to do what I want to do, and if so how?

2. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    Format the entire drive as fat32 and split the large wii games with wii backup manager.

Backup the entire drive first though...

HaloEffect17 likes this.
  3. Grimat
    OP

Grimat Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2011
    I've formatted the entire drive as FAT32, but the Homebrew Channel still crashes when trying to load from it (like a black screen with a white text stack dump on it). Is there something I'm missing?

4. Grimat
    OP

Grimat Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2011
    OK I resolved the problem. Basically the drive needs to be MBR and not GUI. I'm not sure why, but having the drive as MBR works.