Hacking Stolen Nintendo DSi, will download store monitor it?

hillemary

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My son lost his DSi or it was stolen, not sure if it'll turn up or not, but we did register at the DSi store and downloaded a couple of games when we had it. They have the unit serial number so I wondered if reporting the loss to Nintendo would flag the serial number as a stolen unit or anything?

Maybe a possible way to get it back or at least stop them from getting to use it for downloads.
frown.gif
Whole situation is a total bummer!

We have a warranty through Dell but that's only for accidental damage, not loss.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

TIA,
Mary

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry to hear about that, but I'm not sure if there is anything that Nintendo can do about that. Perhaps you didn't even lose it in the first place, and it is somewhere in your home. Don't worry, no credit card info is ever stored on your DSi, so no downloads will take place. I advise to stay calm, and if you can't find it in a month, get a new one. Again, I'm sorry to hear about this.

wyndcrosser

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sly,

That is the worst attempt at an answer I've read in awhile. HORRIBLE!

Nintendo wouldn't bother, I looked over their policies briefly when I read this. You're better off slapping your son. Buying a new one, or used one, and making him work for it.

Wynd

elmoreas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My father is an attorney and a former state prosecutor (don't worry all he downloads stuff too), anyways he said to report the loss to the police and have them file a complaint with Nintendo. If you have access to a free laywer ie one in the family then he can after that have Nintendo served with papers that force them to monitor that account and trace the IP address used to download any content from the online store if someone uses the store with it. BUT filing the papers costs $90 in my state and thats if the lawyer is free, if you have to pay for one then it is just cheaper to get a new DS. Depending on the amount of DLC you had on it and therefore its total value as a unit you need to make a cost to beneifit anaylsis of going through the motions, getting a lawyer, filing the papers, and waiting, and then going through the retrival process which can take up to a year in Indiana. Though you technically can force Nintendo to do what you are asking, IMO it is easier, faster, cheaper to just buy a new one and move on. The only exception would be if you had TONS of DLC on it, which in your post it sounds like you do not. That is the best I could do for you. Hope it helps at least a little.

Sincerely,
Elmoreas

Bently

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
elmoreas said:
My father is an attorney and a former state prosecutor (don't worry all he downloads stuff too), anyways he said to report the loss to the police and have them file a complaint with Nintendo. If you have access to a free laywer ie one in the family then he can after that have Nintendo served with papers that force them to monitor that account and trace the IP address used to download any content from the online store if someone uses the store with it. BUT filing the papers costs $90 in my state and thats if the lawyer is free, if you have to pay for one then it is just cheaper to get a new DS. Depending on the amount of DLC you had on it and therefore its total value as a unit you need to make a cost to beneifit anaylsis of going through the motions, getting a lawyer, filing the papers, and waiting, and then going through the retrival process which can take up to a year in Indiana. Though you technically can force Nintendo to do what you are asking, IMO it is easier, faster, cheaper to just buy a new one and move on. The only exception would be if you had TONS of DLC on it, which in your post it sounds like you do not. That is the best I could do for you. Hope it helps at least a little.

Sincerely,
Elmoreas

I doubt that is even necessary to go through all that trouble and money just for a DSi.
Like people have previously said just buy a new/used one at a local shop if you don't want to
start trouble with Nintendo (file a complaint) since what is there to complain about? Nintendo
is not responsible for lost/stolen units but are responsible for faulty ones.

elmoreas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have to agree with the above post, I was just giving you the legal advice you were asking for, and since I could get it by just calling my dad that is what I did. I agree it is best to just buy a new one and forget about this one. But I felt that since I had access to the information you were looking for I should at least make the attempt to get you the information you wanted. That is why I posted it. As I stated in my original post I wouldn't bother with the legal route. It was more of an FYI than anything else. Best of luck to you. Sorry about the stolen DSi. Later.

Elmoreas

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/