stolen nds and flash cards...

Discussion in 'EZ-Flash' started by Brien Zee, Apr 9, 2007.

Apr 9, 2007
  1. Brien Zee
    OP

Newcomer Brien Zee Advanced Member

someone broke into my house and stole my nds, r4 with 1gb, and g6..
    we know who did it. called the cops. bottom line is i will never get these back.
    i love the r4, and i kept my g6 around to play gba games.
    but now that they are both gone. i'm taking a look at the ezf-v with expansion.

i'm just looking for peoples opinions on the ezf-v, perferably people that have used both ezf-v and r4/g6.
    just want to make sure people haven't come across anything i should be worrying about

2. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    I know some people with the EZF, and according to them it's, overall, a better product (this is with the expansion of course) due to its features. What they don't like about it, and something you'll find different is that it uses a savelist, however I've heard this isn't hard to get used to - it's just something they'd prefer to be cut.

3. Brien Zee
    OP

i was also wondering about the gba functionality..
    i was reading you load the game from the slot1. and only one game at a time..
    does that mean you have to reload the game every time? or does it stay there untill you use the ram in the expansion for something else?
    and what about the saves.. does it save gba saves to the slot one?

4. SaiZou

Member SaiZou GBAtemp Regular

United States
    man thats rough im sorry man well i kno some pplz with the ezf and they say it is pretty sick i would get it if i were u

5. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    It stays there until you write another GBA game. The RAM is separate

EDIT: I believe when you flash a game the save goes to your slot1 microSD after you've erased it (or something like that - I'll ask my friend later). All that matters is that the game should save in the end.

6. KidIce

Member KidIce Smart Ass

United States
    I'll first state that the save list thing is somewhat annoying but there are a few reasons it exists and it's not that hard to add games to it. The EZV is the only slot 1 cart that does not patch the saver of your "clean ROMs", FWIU. It's there so that the save chip can be programed to emulate the saver type, rather then patching the ROM. The upside to the list is not having all your saves 256K in size (raw saves) when they could be smaller, and since it is easy to update the list you don't have to wait for an update to include that just released game.

Anyway, about GBA functionalityand the 3-in-1... It is a NOR style cart not unlike an EZ1, F2A, etc. You put whatever games you want on your SD and use the EZ5 boot menu (a modified version of Moonshell) to burn them to the 3-in-1. As you've read you can only burn one game to the 3-in-1 at a time, though it wouldn't surprise me that this changes in the future. I'm also somewhat curious if Pogoshell couldn't be used to get around this limitation, but I haven't been motivated enough to try it yet. Once a game is burned to the 3-in-1 it stays there until you burn a new one. The RAM expansion is independent of the 3-in-1's NOR memory, so using it w/ Opera or any homebrew in the future that might take advantage of it will not effect your GBA game in anyway... Same goes for the rumble feature.

Once a game is burned to the 3-in-1 it appears to the DS and any software you run on it as a "real" retail cart. What's particularly nice about this is that the cart can then be used in a DSLite (or DS fat or GBA if you stuck it in a GBA cart case) independently of the the EZ5. The other thing being that there is no need to patch DS softwareand such for DS/GBA game linking.

The 3-in-1 has battery backed SRAM on the cart that holds your saves. The saves stay there until you use the EZ5's boot menu to write them to your SD. You can also restore the save on your SD to the SRAM on the 3-in-1 if for some reason you wanted to go back to an older save. They are also automatically written to/from your SD when you burn a new game to the cart, so most people are never going to have to worry about how the EZV and 3-in-1 handles GBA saves unless they want to move their saves to their PC as back up or to use in an emulator.

7. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    well its not the only slot 1 not to patch the saves the N card doesn't either.

8. GBA_Temper

GBA_Temper Newbie

I really never had a chance to sit down with Mr.Ez-Flash V but I think he is Kind and entertainig...Well I have really seen to much of him but I have heard alot of him on the forums I guess he is a hot flashcart with a buddy(SLOT2) LOL...

9. KidIce

Member KidIce Smart Ass

United States
    Thus the disclaimer, FWIU (from what I understand). I haven't followed the N Card, so I was unaware...

And did you really need to quote everything just to say that. [​IMG]

10. NDSkid

Newcomer NDSkid Advanced Member

United States
    i've run into compatability issues w/ the EZV. this may be due to the savelist issue. i just found out about the savelist today. the cards are in my neices' DSs so it's such a pain to have to update both cards. this thing takes too long to load compared to my R4. my experience w/ teh EZV has only been for about an hr but the disadvantages over the R4 jumps out like a sore thumb:

- firmware based on moonshell
    - savelists! what a pain. games do not run "out of the box"
    - backs up saves everytime you boot which adds to the load time
    - lacks menu screen. boots directly to file selection and lists all files in the folders, not just *.NDS
    - side-loading microSD slot. requires card removal to access microSD card.
    - requires a few steps to update the firmware. you have to click R during boot
    - alot of games require patching w/ the hybrid tool

I would stick w/ the R4 solution. I have an R4 in my DS and havnt had any problems w/ the roms i've thrown at it. here's a llist of advantages over the EZV:

- faster boot/load time
    - $20 less than the EZV
    - larger community support
    - no savelist!
    - skinnable. plenty of skins available. you can store multiple skins and toggle between them
    - boot menu to select games/media/slot2
    - top loading microSD slot
    - drag/drop firmware update
    - can act as a passcard. not sure if the EZV can do this.
    - lists only *.NDS files in game selection
    - spring loaded microSD slot
    - adjustable backlight during game selection

since you've already owned an R4, you will be sorely dissapointed by the EZV.

11. KidIce

Member KidIce Smart Ass

United States
    Using Moonshell as the boot menu is a double edged sword really, while I don't appreciate the load time I do appreciate that I can play my media and such w/o having to load another application, and various other advantages Moonshell has over "typical" boot menus.

If you mark the files as hidden on the SD they will not display in the EZV menu.

There are plenty of people who keep the save list up to date and are nice enough to post it on the EZFlash forums.

If you complain about load times why are you advocating an extra menu?

Some people see side loading as an advantage as you are less likely to loose your SD and it makes your flash cart undiscernible from a regular retail cart when in your DS.

Updating firmware on anything does not come w/o risks, I'd rather not do it by accident. The fact that I have to press two buttons for something I rarely do anyway is a small price to pay to keep the firmware from updating if I forget to remove it from my SD (which I usually do).

The R4 is not any cheaper then the EZV (alone) at any of the places I've looked, only when bundled w/ the 3-in-1 and even then most places had it for only $10 to $15 more.

Larger community support? How do you figure?

The EZV is skinnable, and there are plenty of skins available... Including the super awesome GBATemp skin.

Yes, you can use the EZV as a PassMe. You figured out how to update the firmware and you didn't notice the option to boot the slot 2 cart?

12. faceless

Member faceless pink sugar heart attack

United States
    - firmware based on moonshell
    lol thats a negative?

- savelists! what a pain. games do not run "out of the box"
    but games not running due to not having "the right" microsd isnt a negative for R4?

- lacks menu screen. boots directly to file selection and lists all files in the folders, not just *.NDS
    and then for R4 you list...
    - faster boot/load time
    and
    - boot menu to select games/media/slot2
    and
    - can act as a passcard. not sure if the EZV can do this.
    when the EZV gets to the menu faster, lets you boot games faster and lets you play media faster, and lets you go from playing media to booting games faster, oh, and boots to slot-2 faster

- side-loading microSD slot. requires card removal to access microSD card.
    as opposed to
    - top loading microSD slot
    - spring loaded microSD slot
    which breaks for many people and also accidentally ejects microsd cards that people have to then scour and find?

- $20 less than the EZV
    lol, now you're just making stuff up... anyplace that sells both they're the same price or have an average of $5 difference

- larger community support
    yeah, right...

- skinnable. plenty of skins available. you can store multiple skins and toggle between them
    baffling!

- lists only *.NDS files in game selection
    that takes longer to get to than with an EZV

not to mention that no 2GB card is usable on an R4, while any 2GB and tons of slow 1GB and 512MB cards are perfectly usable due to the hybrid tool.

but hey, you seem to be really good at overstating negatives on one device, while stating something that is negative on one device as positive on another...

13. NDSkid

Newcomer NDSkid Advanced Member

United States
    the sandisk 2gb works fine on my R4.

i have nothing positive to say about the EZV.

14. dedbol

Newcomer dedbol Member

Philippines
    i have EZV and my saves get corrupt sometimes [​IMG]

15. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    My bad i was infact wrong. I have a N card and i just relised it does patch the saves. [​IMG] My bad.

16. Brien Zee
    OP

i really loved my r4 for nds games. and my g6 for gba games..
    but as they are gone. and my g6 was about 120 (with passcard, which i still have), and the r4 was 65 (with sd card). i can't afford to get both. ezfv with a gb sd card and the 3 in 1 i can get for about 70, so that seems like a better solution to my problem in the long run.

unless someone can give me a cheap alternative for playing gba games, that will work in junction with an r4?

ps. i actually have an ez flash advance for my old sp. but i can't seem to find my sp. so i can't load games onto it. lol. plus it'd stick out like a beast in my dslite.

thanks for all the info guys.

17. cory1492

Member cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    3in1 + R4, you can get an R4 fairly cheap with a 1G card, and while you are at it throw on a 3in1 for $15-20 extra. There is a decent program out right now to make use of the 3in1 from any slot 1 cart, and I have been putting in tonnes of work making a menu these last couple weeks for making the most out of the 3in1 (not to mention, with a patch file I made a while back you can also use opera with 3in1, and 3in1 can act as memory expansion for dslinux now too).

It's a decent combo, the simplicity of R4 and GBA support with 3in1 (just don't expect a G6 out of the 3in1, it only has 32Mbytes of flash).

BTW: love my EZ5 too, enough that I keep updating an unofficial save list. It does a few things that R4 cannot for me, chiefly it gives access to the SD card when booting homebrew with wmb, it allows me to replace the menu program with anything I like, it is much more solidly built hardware wise, and more... but for strictly games R4 is great (once you are aware you may need to dismantle it to get the sd slot working again when (not if) the spring breaks).

18. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    i'm just curious, how would a burglar know about a flash cart in the first place? and why would they specifically steal your flash carts? i thought most burglar's would go for the more expensive stuff like your consoles or tv e.t.c i'm not trying to be rude or anything but i'm just thinking that is how a burglar usually does, unless it was someone who knew you and knew you had the flash carts in the first place? can you remember who last knew you had these flash carts? and if so can't you turn up at their house and demand them back, i know i would, i did the same thing when my house was burgled, i kicked their door down [​IMG] but the stuff had alreday been sold off the bastards ¬_¬

19. cory1492

Member cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    jalaneme: read the first post. They already know who it was and have given the matter over to the coppers.

20. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom

they ain't gonna do crap anyway.