Hacking Stock phatty bricked after update

Fraeco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hey,

I turned on my phatty yesterday after ages of dustgathering. Connected to live and started updating.

I FINALLY just got a real tv (the ones with HDMI ports ;-) ), so I was toying arround with de A/V cables while the update was ongoing.
I unplugged the funky xbox composite/component cable to put in an HDMI cable, I never saw picture on the HDMI :(

I waited for 10 minutes for the update to complete and power cycled the machine. Still no picture. So I think I must've done something to interupt the upgrade and now my device is bricked.

It's not showing picture (or giving audio) on any output (hdmi, component (hdtv) or composite (tv)). On the MS site I noticed you could try to offline upgrade with an USB flash drive but that didn't do anything as well. It's out of warranty so sending it back isn't an option.

Is there anything I can do myself to (re)install the device so it can at least boot again? No hacks or anything required, I'd just like a working phatty again :)

Much appriciated!

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Seems you really borked it up.

There's no way to recover a bricked 360.
You can try to boot it without the HDD and see if it boots
If it does then your HDD is to blame.
If it doesn't then your NAND is corrupt, which is unrecoverable.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
Seems you really borked it up.

There's no way to recover a bricked 360.
You can try to boot it without the HDD and see if it boots
If it does then your HDD is to blame.
If it doesn't then your NAND is corrupt, which is unrecoverable.

strange part is if it was RGH'd
you could re-flash the nand with an older dump
correct?
using a Nand-X

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Lesson to be learned here is to never ever do anything when any console is updating. Pulling out AV cables etc whilst the console is updating is asking for trouble to be honest.

Have you tried the button combination on bootup (sorry, i forget what it is, but it will be aroudn on google somewhere) which completely resets the video settings? Thats about the only thing i think you've got left to try if you havn't already

Fraeco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Lesson to be learned here is to never ever do anything when any console is updating. Pulling out AV cables etc whilst the console is updating is asking for trouble to be honest.

It didn't lose power, and to be really honest. I don't see the link between A/V connections and breaking your NAND. Anyway, water under the bridge.
I did try the combo to reset A/V settings (Y + right trigger while turning on the console), sadly enough it didn't do anything. Hell, the controllers aren't registring on the console (keeps blinking).

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Plugging in, or taking out AV cables resets the Xbox 360. Of course HDMI doesn't do that for some reason.

Have you tried my method?

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
It didn't lose power, and to be really honest. I don't see the link between A/V connections and breaking your NAND. Anyway, water under the bridge.
I did try the combo to reset A/V settings (Y + right trigger while turning on the console), sadly enough it didn't do anything. Hell, the controllers aren't registring on the console (keeps blinking).

an Xbox wont boot if it doesnt have a TV connected
so while updating it may have done the Reset and there was no tv after it reset so mucked it up

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
strange part is if it was RGH'd
you could re-flash the nand with an older dump
correct?
using a Nand-X

That's only with a RGH console.
A stock console can also get a NAND reflash but you'll need to supply it's CPU key.
Providing OP didn't knew that it's useless to him.

I think MS also warned people for this.
I'm not quite sure but it's indeed common sense that you don't pull out cables/powercyle/remove storage during an update.

Try it with a wired controller.
Those don't use the RF board which gets initialized later in the booting process.

an Xbox wont boot if it doesnt have a TV connected

They will.
You'll need an AV inserted for the Xbox to boot.
TV doesn't matter, as long as the AV pack is inserted.

Happen to try holding the sync button, and then turning on the Xbox whilst still holding the sync button?
Forgot about that one.
It might work, I never had to use it tbh.

Fraeco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Plugging in, or taking out AV cables resets the Xbox 360. Of course HDMI doesn't do that for some reason.

Have you tried my method?
Sorry for the slowpoke reply.

I've tried that yeah. Didn't do anything.
I think I'm going to have to make peace with the fact that my xbox is a now a Paperweight360 :(

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You can try one more thing.
However this will be costly and annoying.

You can try to glitch your 360.
You'll need a NAND-X/JRunner programmer and a DGX ( when it gets released for the Phat).
If you solder on the DGX then you can obtain the CPU key and then you can build a new stock NAND (or glitched NAND if you want a RGH)
Flash that new stock NAND to the console and then you can (in theory) make use of it again ;]

I have never tested it out meself but it should work in theory cause dashfiles aren't loaded when it's booting XeLL.
And I think that the DGX only obtains the CPU keys without XeLL.
However that I wouldn't know cause I haven't done research on the DGX.
So forgive me if that's false info

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I am the cancer!!! lol