Still on the fence about which card to get.....

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by booyah171, Apr 22, 2015.

1. booyah171
    OP

booyah171 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 19, 2010
    United States
    I have a Sky3DS I'm really thinking of getting but the lack of homebrew (and it being region locked) is throwing me. Also not being able to run 2DS games as well.

I would like a DSTWO but can't find one.

Gateway looks OK but seems a bit complicated.

Anyone think Sky3DS will ever support homebrew? Thanks.

2. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Probably not because it wasn't designed to that.

3. Maximilious

Maximilious GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2014
    United States
    Probably not. I've heard that Sky3DS can at times be more complicated than the GW to set up.

Are there a lot of different region games you want to play? Are there a lot of homebrew games/apps you want to play?

I like my GW because I can play eShop exclusives, the other perks of installing CIA and running ROMs are a bonus. But with Sky you won't be able to play eShop exclusives which I think offer a lot more than the regular games available for the 3DS.

4. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    If your 2DS is on 9.2 or below then you can run homebrew without any new hardware. All you need is to put Cubic Ninja on your Sky3DS' microSD and use the ninjhax exploit to launch the homebrew menu. It will run anything in 3dsx format — which most current homebrew has available (or can be compiled into with source code).

5. pdensco

pdensco Banned

Banned
    Nov 9, 2014
    Pakistan
    if sky3ds can support cias then i think it will support homebrew;)

6. booyah171
    OP

booyah171 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 19, 2010
    United States
    No, my firmware is 9.6 so I am a bit limited. I didn't realize the eShop games were so plentiful. Will the Gateway support multirom load as well as online play?

Thanks for all the help.

7. pdensco

pdensco Banned

Banned
    Nov 9, 2014
    Pakistan
    gateway is already supporting multirom and online play but you need to downgrade your 3ds to 9.2 firmware for gateway there are many tutorial about how to downgrade 3ds

8. mvmiranda

mvmiranda GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 29, 2013
    Brazil
    Brazil, Sao Paulo
    I have a question regarding the Sky3DS.
    Since the devs from KARL and NTR CFW will not support "piracy", I was wondering if KARL or NTR coupled with Sky3DS is a good choice?
    I mean, since these "CFW" remove the region checks would Sky users benefit from this?

PS: I believe this will help other users to decide themselves as well

Thanks!

dekuleon likes this.
  9. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    There's no such thing as 2DS games :P
    Gateway is a bit more complicated to load, but putting ROMs on is much easier. Selecting games is far more convenient and faster too.

That isn't possible. You'd need kernel access to be able to downgrade, and we don't even have homebrew on >9.2 firmware.

10. booyah171
    OP

booyah171 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 19, 2010
    United States

How many roms can I fit or is there no limit?

I'm worried I might brick my 3DS which is why I was sticking with something newer.

11. booyah171
    OP

booyah171 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 19, 2010
    United States

LOL, ok, standard DS games then. :D

I could just buy a cheap R4 and put my DS roms on that.

12. Maximilious

Nov 21, 2014
    United States

Yeah since you're 9.6 you're already limited to only a Sky3DS for flashcards to play 3DS games. GW requires 9.2 or lower firmware and all other cards (other than QQ or knockoff's of Sky and GW) can only play regular DS games.

13. booyah171
    OP

booyah171 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 19, 2010
    United States
    Is the 9.6 downgrader pretty reliable?

14. Maximilious

Nov 21, 2014
    United States

There is no downgrade option for 9.6. You're stuck with Sky3DS. I'd recommend you read some more of the threads already here on this topic - there's a thread titled "Which Card to get and their major difference" or something like that already stickied here.

15. booyah171
    OP

booyah171 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 19, 2010
    United States
    Ok, thanks for all the help.

16. pdensco

pdensco Banned

Banned
    Nov 9, 2014
    Pakistan
    gate
    gateway can support 128gb memcard and u can fit 124 games in one card i guess or its has no limit i hav,nt used 128 but it suppots im using 64gb card and im using gateway worry not gateway will not brick your 3ds. just sell ur 3ds and buy a 4.1version 3ds from ebay

17. booyah171
    OP

booyah171 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 19, 2010
    United States
    I found one on eBay with a firmware of V8 for $132. I might go that route.

Thanks.

18. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    If it is new that is a good price, but the old 3ds is frequently on sale for about $150 and comes with a warranty and has not been abused for two years by a 9 year old. (I have two boys)

Sure there is. Its called the 15 Day Walmart Motherboard Switcher-O :) But you have to cross over to the Dark Side for that one.

Maximilious likes this.
  19. Maximilious

Nov 21, 2014
    United States
    You also have to be competent enough to do it and not gunsling your way around it like a different thread that popped up here the other day haha. "I'm not a technical person, but I tried this anyway" :wacko:

20. Miles54321

Miles54321 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 16, 2010
    Gateway Headquarters with SonyUSA
    Gateway ain't too complicated, I recommend asking some people about it, has a good tutorial on how to use on their website :D
    Sky3ds life time is not guaranteed but I gotta give them props for being around for a while now

mvmiranda likes this.