Still not sure about my new 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by aleuts, Oct 2, 2016.

1. aleuts
    OP

aleuts Member

Newcomer
    Oct 2, 2016
    Hi.
    I just purchase a new 3DS ON FIRMWARE 9.0.0-20E. I've been reading around but can't confirm if it is safe to connect to wifi as I'm not sure if it will auto update the firmware.
    Also I'm not sure if any new games I buy will auto update the firmware like how the psp forces an update to play.
    I generally want to load a custom firmware to play GBA roms and maybe SNES but the descriptions of the firmwares doesn't specify, it says emunand and I'm not sure if that's what I want. I think Luma maybe be my best bet.
    And lastly will installing the CFW be a problem on my firmware? I'm sure I read someone saying they couldn't do it because the browser was forcing an update?
    Ps.
    The DS came with omega ruby is there anyway to backup the data?

Thanks for the help

2. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    1. It will never auto update.
    2. They will not auto update but they will force an update depending on the game.
    3. https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki Best noob friendly guide to get you the best hack (Luma included :P )
    4. Yes you can backup OR AS save data before starting the guide, just use browser haxx plus JKs save manager.
    5. That's an amazing firmware you get to skip the most risky and time consuming part of the guide ^_^

3. BobDoleOwndU

BobDoleOwndU GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 28, 2013
    Canada
    You're actually on the easiest firmware to setup a CFW on.

Connecting the wifi will not auto-update the firmware. If you leave it in sleep mode while connected to the internet, it will download the update and prompt you to install it, but it will not force you to install it.

Some new games to require a new firmware update, but again you will be prompted to install it.

Your best bet is indeed Luma. I'd recommend installing A9LH as well. A guide for this can be found here. This will put you on the latest firmware with CFW installed. Meaning you won't have any issues with games, and you can connect to the internet and play online, etc.... Emulators, etc... will all work fine as well.

The browser only prompts to update on a later firmware. Even then, there's a workaround for this. But it's not an issue on 9.0.

You can backup your Omega Ruby's save with JK's Save Manager. As long as you follow the guide, you won't lose your data anyway though.

TheVinAnator likes this.
  4. astrangeone

astrangeone GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    1) 3DSes won't auto update. The system will download the software and then tell you that an update is available.
    2) Again, if your firmware is too low for the game, it will tell you and say that an update is available. You need to click through and say "Yes" to it in order for it to go through.
    3) Luma and A9LH is pretty dang easy to install now. 3 steps, and the only issue is that you might accidentally brick if you leave your new 3DS on sleep mode. (I've done 20+ units and nothing bad has happened.) Now it only takes 2 steps to install A9LH on a new model 3DS - so basically, there is no excuse to use emunand anymore.

Why install A9LH?
    - firmware overwrite protection - updates to official firmware won't mess up most things. The last update (11.1) ended up with a lot of menuhax users being forced to find other exploits to enter emunand. It took a couple of days for the devs of exploits to update their stuff to work with that.
    - faster boot time
    - brick protection - the ability to make "images" of your current set up makes it dead easy to deal with potential "bricks" by reinstalling an older "image" of your system

Here's a link to the "Holy Bible" of installing A9LH:
    https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

TheVinAnator likes this.
  5. annson24

annson24 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 5, 2016
    Wow damn, you know with your current setup and today's scene you can actually install arm9 in just 5mins. Literally. I envy you.

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

6. aleuts
    OP

aleuts Member

Newcomer
    Oct 2, 2016
    Thanks! You guys are amazing!! Just to confirm I setup A9LH first then setup Luma. And once this is done it doesn't matter if I update to newer firmwares released by Nintendo.
    And according to the guide I will only do step 1 and step 3. I skip step 2. I'm not sure on step 1 if I am the browser or none browser option?

Thanks again!

TheVinAnator likes this.
  7. Awesomeslayerg

Awesomeslayerg GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    United States
    Browser one should be fine

8. aleuts
    OP

aleuts Member

Newcomer
    Oct 2, 2016
    OK Thanks for the amazing work i followed the guide and im up and running! although it took a lot longer than 5mins! lol i cant seem to find any info on which folder i load .3ds roms or .GBA roms??

TheVinAnator likes this.
  9. TheVinAnator

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    Nope that's not how it works. Just google "that iso site" and you will find a certain website filled with .cia s of these games. You then install them with fbi!

10. aleuts
    OP

aleuts Member

Newcomer
    Oct 2, 2016
    ok That worked great.. how ever i got abit carried away installing CIA and now i cant seem to uninstall them... i searched and it said press the R button in FBI but this doesnt work.. Any ideas?

TheVinAnator likes this.
  11. TheVinAnator

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    Settings, data management, software, tap on the game/app, delete

12. aleuts
    OP

aleuts Member

Newcomer
    Oct 2, 2016