Still no wiikey update

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by shonosuke, Apr 26, 2007.

Apr 26, 2007

Still no wiikey update by shonosuke at 10:41 AM (3,557 Views / 0 Likes) 35 replies

1. shonosuke
    OP

Member shonosuke GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    I want the audiofix

2. amazoncd

Newcomer amazoncd Member

Japan
    While it would be nice. GCOS already provides this.

I would like to see DVD playback support just for the hell of it. (Even though my DVD player already provides this)

All in all it is a let down, since an update (for what?) was promised a while back and we're yet to see it. It would be nice to see if the chip even can be updated via DVD as easy as they claim. Otherwise, no problems with the chip so far.

dial

3. controlio

Newcomer controlio Member

Austria
    i want to see if it's really true that they made traume center ntsc work on a pal wii...

4. jaxxster

Member jaxxster The Heretic

United Kingdom
    Its funny, now you dont see everyone screaming wheres the update and calling the wiikey team liars but people couldnt jump on the cyclowiz quicker for not delivering an update.

Also it looks like they've taken down all comments on thier news page where they said an update would be coming "this week"

5. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    The announcement of an update coming "this week" was made before they ran into troubles with clones. They obviously NEED to make sure the update is not compatible with clones. There's no if or why about it.

source

True, that is quite a while ago now. Some sort of information on how they're fairing would be good. So far I'm really happy with the Wiikey. They promised a disc dumper and they delivered. I'm sure they'll get around to a firmware update.

6. jaxxster

United Kingdom
    Im not slating the team or anything. Im just annoyed at how cyclowiz got treated like shit because they promised an update soon and it took a little longer and people bashed them left right and centre. Wiikey do the same and everyone thinks they smell like roses still. No offence to them but i dont see how they're gunna stop this update working on clone chips seeing as by definition clone means excat replica.

Nethertheless good luck to the team.

7. Social0

Member Social0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Belgium
    Difference being that the Wiikey already has most functions everyone wanted so people don't really need an update persé

8. Cinos

Newcomer Cinos Member

United Kingdom
    The other difference is the fact the Cylowiz team promised at a certain time, waited about a week later, then extended the time, and when that time came along waited a few days after and extended it again. Where as the Wiikey team has been quite insightful as to why their being late, and giving up warning ahead of time.

9. Redsquirrel

Member Redsquirrel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I would like an update, but the wiikey is pretty good as it is.

By the time the update comes out, traum center will already be out already in PAL land.

I think 80% of peoples Wiis that have installed wiikeys probably are clones (maybe not knowing), and i expect a lot of people to be annoyed.

But im sure it works on clones anyway. I expect wiikey is just reaping in the profits before admitting the new upgrade works on clones.

10. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    Lets just hope if they find a way to stop the clones being updated we don't get another supercard fiasco.

11. ssj4android

Member ssj4android GBAtemp Regular

How do you know they didn't have any problems?
    And don't get your hopes up for a Wiikey update ever if they need it to not work on cloned chips.

12. jaxxster

United Kingdom
    They did have issues. To get the disc to correctly read at 6x speed they had to rewrite thier whole code. Also had to add a verify routine and make sure the update was safe. Dont forget they had 2 updates to work on aswell

13. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    If they want to get people to buy the wiikey they will have to release an update, even if it works on the cloned chips. If they didn't no one would buy any the wiikey or any other new versions they decided to make.

14. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    Or they could just be happy with what profit they've made and never work on the WiiKey again.

Ugh, I don't get why gbatemp decided to turn into a board for console mod chip discussion. I miss the handheld-only gbatemp. [​IMG]

15. Louse76

Member Louse76 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Without the needed updates, the Cyclowiz was a shit product.

I am perfectly happy with the WiiKey without an update. There isn't really anything that they can update that I can think of that I would have any use for, really.

However, I just want to play copied NTSC US games, and maybe a Jap game here and there just to screw around.

DVD Playback - who gives a damn. My laptop can play them, my work laptop can play them, either of my HTPCs can play them, either of my drives in my PC can play them - this feature is worthless. If they could make it output higher than 480p and play x264, that'd be great, but it's not going to happen.

WiiKey is getting screwed by clones, I can understand them not jumping on an update if it is going to help those with clones too.

16. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    The reason there ARE clones is because it's a fine product in the firstplace. Why don't you see any clones of the original Cyclowiz?

A lot of people want the audio fix. People sure are demanding of their game thievery...

17. jaxxster

United Kingdom
    the wiikeys a good product if you want to play wii games. Its shit otherwise. Don't forget the cyclowiz was an early chip and still beats the wiikey who had much longer to design thier chips.

I agree about dvd playback, Everyone should have a dvd player anyways

18. pnag

Newcomer pnag Member

Ireland
    Eh, huh?!? Shit otherwise? For what? Playing hockey? Dating? "To play wii games" - that's all it's meant to do, no?

As for beating? Doesn't it have about the same features?

19. jaxxster

United Kingdom
    i meant for gamecube games....

""To play wii games" - that's all it's meant to do, no?"

No, Its also meant to play gamecube games which ive seen alot of people moan about its capabilities of doing so.

And as for having the same features i've heard far less compalints about the features of cyclowiz.

20. laurenz

Member laurenz GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Maybe that's because less people have a cyclowiz because it's plain crappy? The more people that have a product, the bigger the chance is that some of those people are going to complain.